PDA

View Full Version : swim suits for pregnant swimmers

swimmingmama
April 23rd, 2003, 03:05 PM
Please help! Can anyone please, please, pretty please recommend a maternity bathing suit for serious lap swimming??? I've taken a break from "hardcore" swimming workouts but still need your typical Speedo-type/-quality suit for doing laps and easy sets. (I've gone down to swimming 2000-2500 yards 4-5 times a week.) There are a multitude of recreation-type maternity swim suits out there or sportier types that claim they're good for lap swimming but have impractical deep U-backs, decorative X-backs, and/or are made of 80-90% COTTON (YIKES!?!?!!!)!!!!!!! If there are any moms out there (or dads who can tell me what their pregnant swimmer wives wore) who can give me any suggestions, they'd be EXTREMELY appreciated!

I'm to the point where even my stretched out Speedos are getting a little too snug (you know, the suits where you've worn them so much that that white stuff rubs off on your skin or you've just turned them into your "drag suits" or you've just outright thrown them out)...

Thanks in advance!!!

msgrupp
April 23rd, 2003, 08:41 PM
Have you tried any of the on-line catalog shops like Kast-A-Way or World Wide Aquatics?

Just did a google search--found that world wide aquatics has about 5-6 suits (plus coverups, tights and bras) that are all maternity wear.

lapswimmr
April 23rd, 2003, 10:40 PM
Kast-A-Way is a very good place. I have bougt from them several times. World Wide too. You may also try H20 Wear on a google search.

JRidge
April 24th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Last year a couple of women on the team I coach were pregnant and both continued to wear competitive suits. They bought lycra suits one size larger than normal and that seemed to accomodate them throughout the pregnancy. (both swam to within a week of delivery)

PhillyFish
April 26th, 2003, 03:02 PM
All the pregnant women in our workout group just swam in regular competition Speedo's but in a size or two larger than their pre-pregnancy size. Those suits took them right up to delivery day!

swimmingmama
April 28th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Hello! Thank you so much for all of your suggestions!!! I did check out World Wide Aquatics, H2O Wear, and Kast-A-Way. For any other pregnant swimmers who are interested in my findings, World Wide Aquatics did have maternity swimwear, but their selection had exactly what I was trying to avoid (sorry, msgrupp!:( ), per my original post, and offered similar maternity "active" bathing suits I've seen elsewhere online.

I emailed Kast-A-Way, and they responded rapidly saying they've no maternity bathing suits but would recommend one of their tank suits in one or two sizes larger than my pre-pregnancy size. Again, however, I am looking for a non-U-back/non-tank style suit.

Finally, H2O Wear apparently does not have maternity suits either.

In conclusion, I am very happy to read that the solution is just as simple as getting a Speedo in a size or 2 larger than my pre-pregnancy size!!!!! I will go with this suggestion!!!:D It has been extremely helpful to read what has been tried and successful for other competitive swimmers! Sheesh--it all seems like a "no-brainer" to me now in retrospect, but I just have not had any exposure to other pregnant competitive swimmers to hear what has worked for them and was hoping to find advice here on the USMS Discussion Forum!!!:cool:

Thanks so much to ALL of you who responded! It was all wonderful feedback.:) If anyone has any other suggestions, I am still open to them as well; but, so far, I will go with getting just the size or 2 larger Speedo.

hivequeen
June 4th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Just wanted to say that I found what looked like good maternity swimsuits on World Wide Aquatics, ordered one, and it never arrived. DO NOT ORDER FROM WORLD WIDE AQUATICS! They used to have good service for several years up to sometime in 2005. But now the customer service is poor, products claim to ship but never arrive, and it's impossible to get your money back without calling the credit card company.

Instead, as I was rapidly outgrowing my regular suit, I ended up ordering the same maternity suit from the company that actually makes them, EQ swimwear. Shipping's free, service was great, and I love the bathing suit - just like a regular Speedo except it has room for the "bump"! Fun patterns, back is similar to a proback and material is lycra/spandex. Still happy with it at 7 months. :)

http://www.eqswimwear.com/

P.S. anyone else having trouble with kicking (freestyle and breastroke) from hip/pelvic pain?

dorothyrde
June 4th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Most pregnant serious swimmers I know just wear regular speedos a size up or two, and as they grow the suit stretches out(as they are prone to do anyway). Hit the grab bag on sites like www.kiefer and buy bigger suits and that should work.

I was teasing a friend at the pool who was still sometimes wearing her pregnant speedo(actually two because they were thin) and told her she is quite fit now, she can go back to her size!

Karen Duggan
June 5th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I bought a zip up water polo suit in a bigger size. I wore it throughout and it was really comfy. I wore it to practice the day I gave birth :) It was great!

carriem
July 28th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Great Beginnings has a few suits that could be used to swim laps. This one (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/4671.htm) in particular seems good. It has a racer back and is made of polyester (80%) and spandex (20%).

-Carrie

Dobbie
July 28th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Now that swimmingmama is possibly at home breast feeding we could perhaps help by finding her a swim suit with press stud chest flaps suitable for feeding ?