PDA

View Full Version : First meet in 7 years tomorrow

daveindc
October 4th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I'm kinda nervous I am swimming my first meet in 7 years tomorrow. I'm 26, swam from when I was 9 to end of high school, sparingly since. My last meet was freshman year of college (intramural meet). I am swimming 50y and 100y free. I used to swim about 25 secs on the 50 and 55 secs on the 100. I'm hoping to beat those times. Who knows though...I'm 30 pounds heavier (mostly muscle) from weightlifting, changed my stroke completely to total immersion style a month ago, but have not had a chance to practice much (only 1-2x per week the last 6 weeks or so not doing much yardage). I'll let you know how I do :)

mjgold
October 4th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Good luck!

Red60
October 4th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Good for you! I hadn't swum in a meet for 28 years when I swam my first Masters meet two years ago. Because you are much closer in age to your age group times, you might well meet your goals first time out. But don't be disappointed if you don't. You are embarking on a new adventure of Masters swimming, which at least for me has been about a combination of fitness, learning and technical improvement, new events, and working toward goals. I once worked toward breaking 50 in the 100 free; now I'm working on breaking a minute, but I'm having more fun!

daveindc
October 4th, 2008, 11:10 PM
BTW, I am actually with USA swimming, should I still post here?

mjgold
October 4th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I'm with USA swimming as well. What meet are you going to? I want to go to the Minn. Grand Prix next month, but I need to hit a qualifying time next weekend. That will be my first meet ever, so I'm a bit nervous.

daveindc
October 4th, 2008, 11:34 PM
PEAK All Freestyle Meet in Landover, MD

mjgold
October 5th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Cool, good luck.

daveindc
October 5th, 2008, 04:15 PM
So I got basically the same as my old times, 25 in 50 free, 56 in the 100 free. I felt like I panicked on the 50 free and didn't really stick to the TI principles. On the 100, I got off to a great start, but faded. I hadn't practiced at race speed either so my turns were bad. I think I've got a lot of room for improvement. It was weird being at a meet with all teenagers and younger though. I might look to join Master's.

pwolf66
October 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Daveindc,

Sorry I couldn't make it to that meet and skew the average age up by at least one year :rofl:. I had planed on competing in the 50 and 100 but the fates said nay.

So with your first meet as an 'older' swimmer, what lessons can you take away?

It sounds like you were not quite mentally prepared at the start of your 50. I too have had this issue. My suggestions are:

- Check your suit about 15 minutes before your swim, fastened, tied, adjusted etc. Make sure you also have your cap and goggles.
- Get behind the blocks with about 5 minutes before your heat (so more heats if 50, less if 100, etc.) and get your cap (if you wear one) on and adjusted. If you have the straps of your goggles under your cap, put the goggles on first but have them resting on your forehead.
- Visualize the race you want to swim about 2-3 minutes before your heat.
- Do whatever pre-race routine you desire but a pre-race routine should be designed to do one thing: RELAX YOU!! Do not focus on anything just try to clear your mind and relax your body.
- When the heat before yours goes off, clear your goggles of any moisture and/or fog that may be present and put them into place, do any last minute adjustments of suit, cap, goggles while you are behind the block.
- At the long whistle, step up on the block and assume your ready position. I use a grab start so I put both feet in position and bend down till my fingers just touch the block. That way I only have to adjust slightly to get into my starting position. This is not the time to adjust anything, that needs to be done before you step up.
- At the starter's 'take your mark' slow exhale and relax and listen for the beep.
- At the beep, take a huge inhale while you explode off the blocks.

As in all things, YMMV.

As for the 100, what were your splits like? What was your front 50 compared to your sprint 50? What was the differential between your front and back 50s. How much speed work do you do in practice? All out sprint 25s and 50s?

daveindc
October 5th, 2008, 06:11 PM
pwolf,

Thanks for your long detailed reply! Basically everything you said I would normally try to do, but I admit I was a bit off in this meet, especially with the 50. The heats moved faster than I thought so I ended up a bit rushed. I did not have a race plan for the 50, but had a few things I wanted to work on in the 100 and that definitely helped.

As far as splits, I do not know what I had, but compared to the guy next to me, here is what happened...my start was phenomenal (this was something I planned to focus on) because I focused on maintaining a perfect streamline and not rushing to the surface. I was more than half a body length in front of the guy next to me after the first 12 meters. I extended that lead to more than a body length on the first 25. After that, I lost ground each length and I think he barely outtouched me at the end. I would guess I was quite possibly in first place at the 50, but finished last or near last in the heat (I was in lane 1).

Speed work haha I do none of that so far. I just started swimming again 6 weeks ago and I am not even up to 1000 yards in my practices yet. I haven't been doing the sets and stuff I used to, but I will start doing that now. This is a big reason I wasn't mentally prepared. I also had no practice diving from the blocks (not sure where I can get that practice anyways).

Where do you practice? I went to Rockville Municipal a few times in the summer and now I'm swimming at a pool in Adams Morgan.

pwolf66
October 5th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I swim with Germantown Masters at the Quince Orchard Swim & Tennis center in Gaithersburg. We also practice at the Germantown Indoor Swim Center.

I occasionally swim at the Montgomery Aquatic Center as it's 2 blocks from my work.

For back in the pool for only 6 weeks, those are VERY respectable times.

Daveindc Unattached-PV 26.92 56.55 (29.63)

Not bad splitting there. Goal is to get the differential to approximately 2 seconds but 2.7 with the short training time you've had is very good. Maybe go out a little slower on the front? shoot for something in the low 27s and bring it home in low 29?

Just to compare here's my latest 100:

24.53/27.52/52.15 (23.18 50 time) - that was with a horrible 3rd turn. So you can see, I have a similar issue as I take the front 50 out a little too hard and die a little too much on the back.

daveindc
October 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM
...nevermind, found the results, funny it was so easy to find me cause i'm the only "old guy" at the meet.

Typhoons Coach
October 5th, 2008, 10:37 PM
So I got basically the same as my old times, 25 in 50 free, 56 in the 100 free. I felt like I panicked on the 50 free and didn't really stick to the TI principles. On the 100, I got off to a great start, but faded. I hadn't practiced at race speed either so my turns were bad. I think I've got a lot of room for improvement. It was weird being at a meet with all teenagers and younger though. I might look to join Master's.

Not for nothing, but if this was your first meet in 7 years you should be happy that you got approx the same times! There are a lot of people that would kill for that amount of retention on their times. As you mentioned, though, it does leave room for improvement! Good luck, and congrats on getting back into the swim of things!

swimshark
October 6th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Congrats!! Doing your first meet is nerve wracking enough yet alone having it be an age group meet!

I swim with USA as well (and USMS) for Occoquan. In the 2 years with them I have only done 2 meets. My 3rd is coming up.

Midas
October 6th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I also wanted to pipe in and agree that you should be VERY happy you came that close to your prior times in this meet. That's especially true given that you've only been back in the pool for 6 weeks or so. Keep up the training and you'll trounce those times.

knelson
October 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I agree. Those are very solid times considering how little you've been training.

Lump
October 6th, 2008, 05:03 PM
We are probably pretty close then for a 100 free. I had my first meet in 15 years and after 7 weeks training I managed these times:

50 Fly- 27.63
50 Back- 28.78
50 Breast- 34.79
50 Free- 24.94
100 IM- 1:05.23

I was the Dynamo Pentathlon and I did the short format rather than the 100's and 200 IM. I just needed a baseline. I don't plan on doing alot of 50's going forward and I never WAS and never really want to be a sprinter. I just need to work more training and the little things. Next meet I'll step up to 100's and 200's, then I'll REALLY be hurtin!:toohurt:

Rykno
October 7th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Congrats on returning to the water after 7yrs. I had a 10 yr break and after 2 yrs back in the water, the only event that I am anywhere near close to my best times is backstroke, only because I didn't compete in backstroke the last 3 yrs.

Goal is to get the differential to approximately 2 seconds

sorry to hijack the thread, but do you try for the same 2 sec with SCY and SCM?

I swam the 100 SCM free 28,92/1:00.94 (in the same meet I swam 27.68 50m free). I swam 9 events in one day, so I'm sure I can swim the second 50 faster with more rest.

My short term goals for freestyle is to get under 1:00 before all the 14-18yr olds on my team do it. there are only 4 under 1:00 on the team. 53.93, 54.80, 58.86 and 59.73. then the rest are 1:00.17, 1:01, and over 1:02. None of them want to lose to a 34 yr old. I have never been under 27.0 in meters. so that is my second goal. never really trained for freestyle until I started training for distance free.

my plan for the next meet is to swim the 100 28.0 / 31.9 but maybe I should shoot for 28.5/31.4. I only have 2 more chances at the 100 this year, once in 4 weeks and then again in Dec.

Syd
October 7th, 2008, 02:04 AM
sorry to hijack the thread, but do you try for the same 2 sec with SCY and SCM?Yes, that's what I aim for.

I swam the 100 SCM free 28,92/1:00.94 (in the same meet I swam 27.68 50m free). I swam 9 events in one day, so I'm sure I can swim the second 50 faster with more rest. Four seconds is too big a gap. Had you gone 31 for your second 50 you would have gone under a minute.

The 9 events in one day probably explains it. How do you feel in the last 15m of your 100m? If you still feel strong, then you probably went out too slow. If you are dying then you need to work on your back half. Do a set of 2 x 125 @ 4:00 Do the first 100m ALL OUT (go for time and get someone to time you) now don't stop and SPRINT another 25 ALL OUT. Do this often enough and the 100 will seem like a breeze.

My short term goals for freestyle is to get under 1:00
my plan for the next meet is to swim the 100 28.0 / 31.9 but maybe I should shoot for 28.5/31.4. I only have 2 more chances at the 100 this year, once in 4 weeks and then again in Dec.Remember, if you intend going 28 on the first 50, that 28 is a touch to the feet. That would make it faster than your fastest 50 of 27:68. I would say go for 28:50/31:40. That gives you a three second differential which is quite reasonable. Do it in practice. Get your splits and then you will know how fast you can push it on that first 50 without dying in the last 15m. I find the closer I get to within one second of my fastest 50 time the larger the gap is going to be between the two 50's.

Rykno
October 7th, 2008, 06:22 AM
How do you feel in the last 15m of your 100m? If you still feel strong, then you probably went out too slow. If you are dying then you need to work on your back half.
I actually remember thinking that it was the first time in a long time that I actually felt good going into the wall. strong kick all the way through. But I might have taken too many breathes the last 25m, or shortened my stroke the last 15m or so. the guy next to me had 58.20 and I remember thinking that he was pulling away the last 15m too. so you're right i should work on 125's so that 100 seems shorter.

Remember, if you intend going 28 on the first 50, that 28 is a touch to the feet. That would make it faster than your fastest 50 of 27:68. I would say go for 28:50/31:40....... I find the closer I get to within one second of my fastest 50 time the larger the gap is going to be between the two 50's.

That makes sense, but I have yet to feel drop dead tired after the 50 free. I just started swimming free faster at practice this fall. I had gotten into a routine that I was happy swimming sets of 100m on 1:30, swimming into the wall at 1:18-1:20 but now I see that I might have to start swimming them on 1:20 to force me to swim down around 1:12. Which I know I can do, since I did a set of 10x100 st 1:40 6 months ago coming in between 1:11-1:13. This fall I have been able to push through a mental block with freestyle at practice. in the spring of 2007 I had a hard time swimming 200m free under 3:00. now I can negative split 200's 1:20-1:15 or swim them under 2:30 easily.

we usually have one sprint option at our practices, so I am also thinking of doing one of those workouts each week, but since sprint free is not my main event, it's hard to prioritize a sprint workout. But I will definitely keep in mind the 2-3 sec idea.

just for background. when I was my fastest my free times in SCY were 24.3 / 52.4 / 1:51.8 / 5:09 so it's never been my strong stroke.