PDA

View Full Version : Swimming with the kiddies, October 18-19

Glider
October 7th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Okay, I just sent in my Team Manager meet entry for my very first USA-S meet. It is the Rockdale "Octoberfast" on October 18 and 19. According to the meet director, last year it had 100+ swimmers.

Anyone care to join me? See details here (http://www.swimriptides.com/).

CreamPuff
October 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Okay, I just sent in my Team Manager meet entry for my very first USA-S meet. It is the Rockdale "Octoberfast" on October 18 and 19. According to the meet director, last year it had 100+ swimmers.

Anyone care to join me? See details here (http://www.swimriptides.com/).

I think you'll have a blast! I'm in the middle of some pretty hard core training so can't join you. Plus, I did a USS meet a couple of weeks ago. That will hold me for a while. GOOD LUCK!!! Have fun!

CreamPuff
October 21st, 2008, 03:38 PM
How'd your meet w/ el kiddies go Mark?

Glider
October 22nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Hey Puff,

Well, let's just say I had the BEST massage yesterday, because I really NEEDED it after the meet.

This was my second meet after 4 weeks off and then 10 weeks of training. I did much better than the PTC Pentathlon, but not quite as good as I'd hoped.

But...it was a BLAST swimming against the kids. The highlight for me was winning my Sr. 200 BR heat...Low-light was splitting my 1:07 100 BR 31.0 and 36.6 for a +5.6 differential! Pianos...sheesh:toohurt:

A little later one of the coaches came up to me and said, "You know we have some kids over here who are grumbling that they just got beat by a 49 year old man."

To which I replied, "Yeah, but there's a 49 year old man in standing in front of you grumbling that he got his rear end kicked by a 15 year old.":oldman:

The meet folks and coaches really went out of their way to take care of me.

How'd your meet w/ el kiddies go Mark?

CreamPuff
October 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the recap Glider!! Sounds like even if the time weren't there, the racing is what matters! I too LOVE swimming with the kiddies. It's a new, different kind of high. Great job winning the heat! I too feel that the coaches, kids and parents are really supportive of our swimming with the kids.

Hey Puff,

Well, let's just say I had the BEST massage yesterday, because I really NEEDED it after the meet.

This was my second meet after 4 weeks off and then 10 weeks of training. I did much better than the PTC Pentathlon, but not quite as good as I'd hoped.

But...it was a BLAST swimming against the kids. The highlight for me was winning my Sr. 200 BR heat...Low-light was splitting my 1:07 100 BR 31.0 and 36.6 for a +5.6 differential! Pianos...sheesh:toohurt:

A little later one of the coaches came up to me and said, "You know we have some kids over hear who are grumbling that they just got beat by a 49 year old man."

To which I replied, "Yeah, but there's a 49 year old man in standing in front of you grumbling that he got his rear end kicked by a 15 year old.":oldman:

The meet folks and coaches really watched went out of their way to take care of me.

pwolf66
October 22nd, 2008, 05:01 PM

I feel your pain, Mark

5 XXXXXXX 14 CUBU-PV 23.05 23.08
6 Wolf, Paul R 41 UNAT 23.18 23.10

Touched out by a 14yo. Sigh.

Glider
October 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, ain't life grand? At least it looks like you made a race of it. I just got creamed:sad:

I feel your pain, Mark

5 XXXXXXX 14 CUBU-PV 23.05 23.08
6 Wolf, Paul R 41 UNAT 23.18 23.10

Touched out by a 14yo. Sigh.

chowmi
October 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Haha! Now I can't resist....do you mean....by Puff?? Sheesh! I mean, She-heesh! heehee!

And Paul....did you pick up your medal?? Pay some kiddie to pick it up for you? Heeheehee!

Great swims and only real men would admit to getting beat by age groupers.

Glider
October 23rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
Hey, Homey:wave:...Been back to the Burgh recently?

The puff girl is going through an identity crisis. Can't decide whether she's a sprinter or distance girl...Workout warrior or cream puff...So now I gotta rag on her every chance I get. :duel:

I just make sure I don't swim in any of her events. She's that good:notworthy: and the payback would be shameful. :o It's a good thing her 4th stroke is breaststroke:D Though, if she gave it time, I might be in trouble.

Haha! Now I can't resist....do you mean....by Puff?? Sheesh! I mean, She-heesh! heehee!

And Paul....did you pick up your medal?? Pay some kiddie to pick it up for you? Heeheehee!

Great swims and only real men would admit to getting beat by age groupers.

Donna
October 25th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I am in the middle of my kids meet this weekend, started with the 1000 Free Friday night. Didn't go too bad but nothing was not a best time. My best event so far has to be a tossup between my 1000 Free and the 100 Breast. I am hoping tomorrow will be near some of my best times.

My heart is just not into this meet, it is sponsored by my old club. I am really missing having my old coach and practicing with the kids team. I just couldn't justify paying fso much for the new summer league coaching they opted for.

Hopefully I can get psyched up for the Columbia meet in a few weeks.
:whiteflag:

Donna
October 26th, 2008, 05:23 PM
We finally finished and I was surprised today. I did the 100 Back and was off by 2 seconds and I wanted to just scratch the 100 Fly but I thought that I made my son swim it so I had to do it too. I went in with the mind set of just finishing, not going out too strong and just take it easy. I ended up with a best time by 2 seconds. What a nice surprise a swim I could be happy :wiggle: about. Actually I was not off of my times by too much so I shouldn't be too upset at this point in the season.

When I finished with my 50 Free and it was a 30 I really didn't care, I was just happy to be done.

Glider
October 26th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Congrats on the fly PB. :applaud: And dang, you swam BR. I'm starting to feel compelled to swim backstroke in Columbia:p

I wouldn't worry too much about your times at this meet. It's still early, especially if you are doing any meets after Columbia.

We finally finished and I was surprised today. I did the 100 Back and was off by 2 seconds and I wanted to just scratch the 100 Fly but I thought that I made my son swim it so I had to do it too. I went in with the mind set of just finishing, not going out too strong and just take it easy. I ended up with a best time by 2 seconds. What a nice surprise a swim I could be happy :wiggle: about. Actually I was not off of my times by too much so I shouldn't be too upset at this point in the season.

When I finished with my 50 Free and it was a 30 I really didn't care, I was just happy to be done.

pwb
November 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Plus, I did a USS meet a couple of weeks ago.

When you swim in USS meets, you have to be USS registered, right? Is there a simple process to do this as a USMS member? Do you just swim UNAT in USS meets or do you have to affiliate with a USS team?

Donna
November 25th, 2008, 08:58 PM
When you swim in USS meets, you have to be USS registered, right? Is there a simple process to do this as a USMS member? Do you just swim UNAT in USS meets or do you have to affiliate with a USS team?

Yes you must register with USA Swimming. In the past I have been affiliated with a kids team but this year I am wimming unattached. It is really up to you.

Good Luck

Glider
November 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM
You can find the registration form on the AZ LSC site under documents (http://www.azswimming.org/document_list.html?cat=documents_and_forms). There is no short cut or cross registration with USMS. And yes, you can register unattached.