PDA

View Full Version : Swim Parka

swim25
October 8th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Our coach gave us an offer to buy swim parka's through the team. Pricing is around $100 and a little more for your name on it. Do you guys think it is worth it to buy one or is it just a cool idea but isn't really worth the price?

pwb
October 8th, 2008, 09:36 PM
If you swim at meets outdoors in the winter in places like Arizona and NoCal, it is very worth the money. If you're swimming indoors in the rest of the country, I'd say save your money.

anita
October 8th, 2008, 10:29 PM
If you attend a lot of meets/practices that are outdoors as Patrick said, I say go for it. We would walk around with just our suit and parka on all weekend if it was pleasant out. They're relatively thin, it's not like they're made for snow or anything.
My mom still has hers from when I swam 30 years ago and she still wears it, but then we live in San Diego!

tjrpatt
October 8th, 2008, 10:34 PM
People are still into parkas! I still have mine from college but have no urge to wear it at a meet.

FlyQueen
October 8th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I wear mine all the time at meets. I always freeze.

ALM
October 8th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I bought a parka in April, 2007. Since then I have commented repeatedly that it was one of the best purchases I've ever made.

I originally bought it to take to Nationals in Seattle. It was great for wearing on the deck between events. It also served as my coat when I took a ferry to Bainbridge Island.

Last winter I used it A LOT for swim practices. I swim at a pool that is covered by an air-supported, fabric dome in the winter. It's heated but the air temperature is very unpredictable (sometimes in the 60s, sometimes in the 80s). There were many workouts when I was grateful to have the parka just to wear while walking from the pool to the locker room.

Anna Lea

swim25
October 9th, 2008, 12:11 AM
cool yea, it gets cold here in norcal, swim practices are outdoors. I don't care about the money, feel like a poser if I'm not at meets all the time. I might do it.

Rykno
October 9th, 2008, 12:30 AM
My mom uses my Curle-Burke parka almost every day to go to work (she's a water instructor at the Y) it's thin but works for her living in Texas.

My college parka is a thicker tru west. I used every day to practice in college. and in the winter months used it to go to classes after morning practices. It's significantly thicker that my CUBU one.

I still use my college parka, to and from the pool during the winter, and depending on the meet location i take it there too. My only LCM meet this year, it was 60-68F outside, windy and the occasional sprinkle.

I will be getting a team parka next time they are making an order. it shows teams spirit, plus I like using them.

USMSarah
October 9th, 2008, 09:30 AM
A parka is worth the investment if you practice or go to meets that have a chilly pool area. If you do invest in a parka, PLEASE get one that has a fleece lining. If you get one of the old school ones, the lining is itchy when wet and the fuzzies get all over you. I too, retired my college parka - for a while I felt like I should wear it because I didn't get to wear it much (and spent a lot on it)... but I found a great TYR one online... sooooo glad I did. Definitely get your last name or something embroidered on it so that it doesn't get mixed up with others.

Doug Adamavich
October 9th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I have both a parka and a robe from truWest that I wear when it is cold out. Yes friends, it gets chilly in AZ during the mornings and evenings during the fall/winter/sprint timeframe.

The parka gets worn about 10x a year either at meets or before practice. The robe gets worn a lot when it is chilly outside. I would recommend a robe because you will get more use out of it. Plus, a good one will cost less than half of a parka.

I wear truWest gear because they are Made in the USA and are top-notch product. You can get them customized with your name, team logo, and other items. Plus, they can do banners and other things for your team. My parka looks brand new and I purchased it back in 2000 so if you go that route you won't need to buy one very often.

Good luck!

knelson
October 9th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I know lots of people like those parkas but I have always thought they were truly butt ugly. I can't be the only one! My college team bought TruWest parkas and I was one of the only holdouts. :)

aquageek
October 9th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I personally think the swim parka looks as stupid as the diver's mini-towel. Again, scary that knelson and I agree, and that he's being more blunt than me.

Midas
October 9th, 2008, 05:13 PM
When I was in college (in New Jersey) I tried to wear my Parka as a winter coat and it just didn't work. It wasn't well insulated and just didn't keep you warm. (Maybe the new fleece ones are better...)

I now live in Northern California and bought a parka to use at swim meets. I think it's great for that purpose. I have a number of teammates who wear theirs to morning (outdoors) practice as well, but everybody leaves them in the locker room.

USMSarah
October 9th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I know lots of people like those parkas but I have always thought they were truly butt ugly. I can't be the only one! My college team bought TruWest parkas and I was one of the only holdouts. :)

I don't think anyone buys parkas to look sexy on deck.

aquageek
October 9th, 2008, 05:31 PM
The hidden benefit of a parka is that they are so hideous that no one would ever steal one and you are thus stuck with it for life.

ALM
October 9th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Mine's not that ugly... Just basic black. See photo here:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2372.htm

It does have the fleece lining - I didn't want the old "fur" lining. The fleece is very lightweight but fine for the pool deck. It would not be warm enough to use as a winter coat or anything like that.

BTW, Swim Outlet sells this particular Speedo parka for $30.00 - $40.00 cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else.

aquageek
October 9th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Mine's not that ugly... Just basic black. See photo here:

For a parka, this one is ok. I would think the fur lining would be better, preferably cheetah.

knelson
October 9th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I don't think anyone buys parkas to look sexy on deck.

True, but some of the getups I see on deck I swear swimmers are making a conscious effort to look as strange as possible! :)

Donna
October 9th, 2008, 08:31 PM
My parka has come in handy many times, especially with outdoor meets in the fall and spring when the weather can be unpredictable. We had a 2 day meet and the first day was over 90 degrees while the next day was in the low 60's.

I use mine in the winter as a regular jacket too.

knelson
October 10th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Again, scary that knelson and I agree, and that he's being more blunt than me.

Hey, someone needed to take the contrarian view on this!

USMSarah
October 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM
My age group parka is now used for snow shoveling. It's bright red - no one's gonna miss ya in the snow wearing that.

haroldbuck
October 10th, 2008, 11:09 AM
My parka has come in handy many times, especially with outdoor meets in the fall and spring when the weather can be unpredictable.

In Minnesota, I don't think there are a lot of outdoor meets. I officiated a high school lacrosse game in May last year in wind, driving rain, and 37 degree temps. I wish I had a striped parka for that game!

The Fortress
October 10th, 2008, 11:14 AM
In Minnesota, I don't think there are a lot of outdoor meets. I officiated a high school lacrosse game in May last year in wind, driving rain, and 37 degree temps. I wish I had a striped parka for that game!

Only in the summer in MN! Coldest state EVAR.

I have only used my parka at one meet in SF where it was freezing in August. I've never needed it at an indoor meet. My kid has since stolen it and uses it at the beginning of summer league season.

Dennis Tesch
October 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Swim parkas are great!!! If your team is ordering parka's as a team they can usually get a better deal than $100 if your going through TYR or Speedo. I'd get one anyways...

mjgold
October 10th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I have an adidas warmup suit that is lined. It's really warm, so I just wear a pair of shorts under it and sometimes a hoodie if I'm really cold.

Michelina
October 10th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Our coach gave us an offer to buy swim parka's through the team. Pricing is around $100 and a little more for your name on it. Do you guys think it is worth it to buy one or is it just a cool idea but isn't really worth the price?

I love my parka. I used to live in So Cal... and used it all the time in the winter and for in-door meets. And now that I live in PA, its used through late fall - winter - early spring. Worth every penny in my book. :2cents:

Doug Adamavich
October 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Swim parkas are great!!! If your team is ordering parka's as a team they can usually get a better deal than $100 if your going through TYR or Speedo. I'd get one anyways...

I would spend the extra buck$ and get a truWest one. These are MUCH better than the mass-produced ones and can be customized. Many college, age group, and masters teams have them create their parkas. I swear by them, and no I am not getting paid to say this ;-)

Plus, truWest makes their products in the USA!!!

BTW, their robes are great too. Word is that these are selling like hotcakes. I got mine and love it!