PDA

View Full Version : Shoulders tiring quickly

daveindc
October 9th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I've always had this problem where my shoulders get tired quicker than they do for most other swimmers. It must be something with my technique. Even an easy 200 for me is not a pleasant thing. Does anyone have any general idea on why this might be happening or tips?

Typhoons Coach
October 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I've always had this problem where my shoulders get tired quicker than they do for most other swimmers. It must be something with my technique. Even an easy 200 for me is not a pleasant thing. Does anyone have any general idea on why this might be happening or tips?

You are most likely generating all of your power through your arms while your legs are not generating enough (or at all). I would try to concentrate on utlizing your kicks and balancing the work load a little more.

pwolf66
October 9th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Also ensure that your arms are as relaxed as possible during your recovery. I had this issue because I was creating too much tension during my recovery.

daveindc
October 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I am wondering if my body position might have something to do with it. Since I have long legs, should I be "leaning" forward more in the water?

geochuck
October 9th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I think you will find that you are using arm muscles to swim and not using the larger back muscles to do the work. There should be very little tension in the forearms. A lot of the tension comes from holding the fingers tightly together and or pressing the thumb tightly against the index finger. In the old days we taught the arm muscles were the only muscles used my coach always told us to swim with the back muscles.

If you see by my avatar that I was rolling (the picture is from 1956) more then the swimmers of my time, we were all told that the shoulders should be flat but I found it much easier to roll.

Also shoulder problems may come from harsh stretching, I call it pretzell stretching, before you warm up. Another problem could be caused by pulling too deep.

Typhoons Coach
October 9th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I am wondering if my body position might have something to do with it. Since I have long legs, should I be "leaning" forward more in the water?

You should be in as close to a streamline position as possible. If your body position is a concern then definitely try to get some kick work in and/or use a pull buoy to reduce the drag. Just some thoughts.

rtodd
October 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM
George wrote:

I think you will find that you are using arm muscles to swim and not using the larger back muscles to do the work. There should be very little tension in the forearms. A lot of the tension comes from holding the fingers tightly together and or pressing the thumb tightly against the index finger. In the old days we taught the arm muscles were the only muscles used my coach always told us to swim with the back muscles.

If you see by my avatar that I was rolling (the picture is from 1956) more then the swimmers of my time, we were all told that the shoulders should be flat but I found it much easier to roll.

Also shoulder problems may come from harsh stretching, I call it pretzell stretching, before you warm up. Another problem could be caused by pulling too deep.

Agree. too deep a pull puts alot of load on the shoulder muscles. Practice early vertical forearm EFV (tomtopo, where are you?). This along with body rotation, will allow the big back muscles to do most of the pulling.