PDA

View Full Version : How much would you hate me? Please help me out.

lemonhead
October 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
First of all...I am not a masters participant. And uhmm...I don't even reguraly swim. I generally run, althought I hate it....uhhh but that's besides the point.

The point is, I'm pregnant with my first. And it's fall now so running is pretty much out of the question. (Asthma and intense uterine cramping. oh joy!)

But my gym at work has a lap pool and I all of a sudden remembered in while I was trying to make myself enjoy the thought of walking on a treadmill.

The point is....I want to know how much people are going to hate me for swimming.

I can't wear a one peice (well I guess I could get a maternity one but they fit horrible). And uh....excuse me...but my breasts are huge from being pregnant. And while I can swim just fine, I'm not a "swimmer" so I do a lap of crawl, a lap of backstroke, a lap of side stroke, a lap of butterfly...etc, etc. etc. Oh and I will often rest in between becuase...well it's hard enough work being pregnant, let alone swimming. lol.

So if you got into the pool and saw me in the lane next to you. Would you hate me for lolling about in a lane with my pregilicous body on display?
I feel kinda bad. I wish they would just give me a half a lane.

What should I do to minimize the hate?

Typhoons Coach
October 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Definitely wouldn't hate you, and would most likely understand if you are resting in between. At my pool we have several pregnant women that swim laps and they do much of the same that you mentioned.

Also, try to look into pre and post natal aqua-aerobics...as an alternative way to get the workouts in.

anita
October 9th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Why would people hate you?

We've had multiple pregnant women swimming at our pool and I think it's wonderful! Each had one a one-piece, but I certainly wouldn't care if they wore a 2-piece. They certainly didn't have to worry about sinking!
We have lap "swimmers" of all types here and they are all welcome...even the woman who wouldn't let me share her land the other day because she has breathing problems. No biggie. Everyone is there for a different reason.
Swimming is a wonderful, low impact exercise for anyone, especially when you're pregnant. I wish I had that option when I was preggers.
Congratulations and I wish you a healthy labor and delivery!

knelson
October 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
We're used to seeing swimmers of all shapes and sizes in the pool. Go for it!

My only suggestion is to read this article about pool etiquette before you swim: http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/pooletiquette
No one is going to be upset about sharing the lane with a pregnant swimmer, but they will if you don't "follow the rules."

Woah Nellie
October 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM
My little one will be 1 soon, and I read your post w/a nice sense of reminiscence, for I swam a great deal during pregnancy. I found that people both at masters practice and at my local pool were quite kind about sharing a lane w/me when swimming. From what I recall, many seem to look sweetly at the 'pregilicious' body (great term, by the way), and people will very likely admire you for your committment to staying active. I don't think you have anything to fear by going swimming, and my bet is that you'll find that this is one of the times that other swimmers will be a bit more courteous to you.

Best of luck to you!

lemonhead
October 9th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks so much for the replies!! I really appreciate it. I just worried that people would be upset that I'm obviously not a hard core swimmer but am taking up valuable real estate in the pool. (kinda of a roll your eyes at me and complain about it in your head thing)

But it's def encouraging to hear that wouldn't be the case!! I'm so excited to get my stuff and swim tommorow. It will be soooo nice to feel weightless and like my hips aren't falling apart!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!! :wave:

geochuck
October 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Birthing in a pool would also be a very natural thing. I would not have a problem with you swimming pregnant I even have suggested it to pregnant women to keep swimming as long as they felt the were not swimming during labour.

Typhoons Coach
October 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM
We're used to seeing swimmers of all shapes and sizes in the pool. Go for it!

My only suggestion is to read this article about pool etiquette before you swim: http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/pooletiquette
No one is going to be upset about sharing the lane with a pregnant swimmer, but they will if you don't "follow the rules."

Definitely agree with the above (as I previously mentioned), and excellent suggestion for the pool etiquette!

knelson
October 9th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Birthing in a pool would also be a very natural thing.

Sounds good, George. We'll use the pool you swim in for this. I'd prefer the pools I use stay out of this business.

Typhoons Coach
October 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Sounds good, George. We'll use the pool you swim in for this. I'd prefer the pools I use stay out of this business.

I've seen actual "birthing pools" for this, but I have more so seen/heard of people giving birth in lakes or ponds, etc...

mjgold
October 9th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I don't see why people would hate you. You're trying to get some exercise while pregnant. I'd rather see a pregnant lady swimming than see a pregnant lady smoking or drinking (like so many stupid assholes do around here).

mjtyson
October 9th, 2008, 02:39 PM
OK, I'll be the disgusting typical male here, but since you mentioned your huge breasts, I'll offer to share my lane with you anytime! ;)

Seriously, though, as long as you follow pool etiquette, you won't have any problems.

And you may just like it enough to continue after the birth of your first...congrats btw.

Cheers,
Mike (dad of 4)

Midas
October 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks so much for the replies!! I really appreciate it. I just worried that people would be upset that I'm obviously not a hard core swimmer but am taking up valuable real estate in the pool. (kinda of a roll your eyes at me and complain about it in your head thing)

But it's def encouraging to hear that wouldn't be the case!! I'm so excited to get my stuff and swim tommorow. It will be soooo nice to feel weightless and like my hips aren't falling apart!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!! :wave:
Whenever I swim during an "open" lap swimming session at a pool, there are really very few "hard core" swimmers there. I bet you'll fit right in. If they have designated "slow" lanes try to get in one of them and try to stay out of the designated "fast" lanes. In any event, everybody who actually swims (rather than noodles) and is willing to split a lane should be more than welcome and won't be considered by anybody to be a waste of pool "real estate."

We have a woman on our team that is pregnant and swims. Right now she's wearing a one-piece suit. I have also swum laps at a pool with a woman who at the time was 8 months pregnant (she wore a two-piece suit). Both of these women were/are in amazing shape.

Welcome to the pool. Hope you stay awhile.

The Fortress
October 9th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Who cares what other people think? Swim away and stay fit!

zegmal
October 9th, 2008, 06:15 PM
There are so few "hard core" swimmers at my pool that we are the ones that stand out. My pool is a veritable menagerie of body types and swimming styles. I even hesitate to use the term "swimming" because around half the people in the water at any given team are either water jogging or doing some odd flopping/rolling/dancing movement to get through the water.

3strokes
October 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM
No one would hate you.
If you're self-respecting and respectful of others (i.e., lane etiquette and you "look before you leap") you will be more ---warmly--- welcomed than a lot of "Look at me making froth and windmilling while wondering why the US Olympic Committee didn't try to bribe me to captain their swim team or why Hollywood didn't ask me to be the Esther/Johnny Williams/Weissmuller of the 21st Century."

At the public pools where I swim there are (and have been) several pregnant ladies swimming ---at various levels--- in one or two-piece suits and they have all been welcomed and treated with the respect their demeanour demanded.

Aqua Jock
October 9th, 2008, 10:26 PM
No one is going to hate you for swimming pregnant.
It's awesome that you want to swim.
Do it.
Wear a 2 piece
Bear your belly with pride.

AJ

norascats
October 18th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Go and swim. My suggestion is to fins a cheap very stretchy suit and wear it out. The swim school where I work had two pregnant teachers a while back. Nobody will criticize your pregnant shape. And swimming is something you can do right up to the end of your pregnancy. It will feel good to get that weight off on the water.
Enjoy the pool!

Ripple
October 18th, 2008, 11:26 PM
A two-piece or tankini with elastic under the bust might offer more support than a one-piece.
Most people feel a little bit of awe and wonder at the sight of a pregnant woman. I suspect that the rare person who finds a pregnant body disgusting has so many "issues" with the human body in general that he/she is probably not going to go to a public pool and put on a swimsuit.

swimshark
October 19th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Go and swim. My suggestion is to fins a cheap very stretchy suit and wear it out. !

That's what I was going to suggest, too. I never wore a maternity suit during my pregnancy. I wore a regular Nike 1-piece and just wore it out. As for what people will think. Well, there are some non-pregnant people at my pool that swim like you described and no one hates them or says anything negative about them. I say go for it.

sarge
October 19th, 2008, 10:44 AM
There's a pregnant woman at my pool (unless she's had the baby. I haven't seen here in a week or so) and she's very fast.

In swimming I've noticed people are far less critical about people's bodies than in either cycling or running. Especially cycling where it seems like one is considered a "poser" if they don't conform to some kind of formula involving one's body mass and the cost of their bicycle.

Doug Adamavich
October 20th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I think its no biggie (no pun intended) to have pregnant women swimming. In fact, doing so will benefit your health as well as the child's! At the pool I train at, we have had multiple women swimming workouts whilst pregnant. About the only constraint they had was not getting their heart rates up too high.

My suggestion is to wear what makes you comfortable when you swim, follow pool ettiquite, and not be afraid to ask for help. Most swimmers are pretty cool people and will help out.

The main thing is to stay active both before and after your pregnancy. Your body, your spouse, and your children will be thankful for it! Plus it will enable you to get rid of some stress during motherhood. Good luck and hope your pregnancy (and swimming) goes well.