PDA

View Full Version : Good recovery meal/snack

SaltySwimmer
October 9th, 2008, 05:50 PM
For those of you who workout in the morning, what works for you as a recovery meal/snack? I had been swimming every-other-day (because I needed the rest), but I feel more conditioned now and have just about worked up to swimming every day. I am interested to see what other people eat for recovery after a hard workout. (For me, it's wheat toast or a wheat bagel and peanut butter, but I'm sure there's something better out there.)

Thanks!

:weightlifter:

hofffam
October 9th, 2008, 05:56 PM
There is some great scientific data that shows chocolate milk is an excellent post exercise recovery food.

http://www.milknewsroom.com/downloads/stager_chocmilk_study.pdf

aqualung
October 9th, 2008, 05:59 PM
My favorite is a good smoothie. Jamba Juice works. Of course, it's cheaper to make my own. Regardless, I need fluids. I crave carbs too.
Chocolate milk. I'm not so sure about chocolate milk. In school, I used to hit the cafeteria after the workouts and go to town on the drink dispensers. Chocolate milk does not go well with juices or soda pop.

SaltySwimmer
October 9th, 2008, 06:02 PM
There is some great scientific data that shows chocolate milk is an excellent post exercise recovery food.

I have heard this too. Unfortunately, I'm not somebody who takes to drinking milk (even milk of the chocolate variety). Especially after a workout.
:eeew:

That's just me though. I'm sure it works for other people! :)

zegmal
October 9th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I put a scoop of chocolate whey powder in my coffee. Seriously.

poolraat
October 9th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I generally swim in the morning before going to work. I keep Clif Bars in my swim bag and eat one as soon as I leave the pool. Then throughout the morning, I'll usually eat a couple bananas and an apple.

geochuck
October 9th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Pizza all dressed as many items that you can get on there.

tjrpatt
October 9th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I usually do a meal replacement shake in the morning before practice. That seems to work for me.

ddl
October 9th, 2008, 11:11 PM

But isn't "9 males" far not enough for drawing conclusion? :cool: Regardless, though, both chocolate and milk are good things anyway.:D

Typhoons Coach
October 10th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Pizza all dressed as many items that you can get on there.

Ha! I have never heard that before, but could be interesting after an early morning workout...throw a little hot sauce on there....nice!

My personal favorite is a chocolate protein shake (or a chocolate milk with protein...depends on how hot it is outside). Along with that, though I eat a banana and an orange...

Lump
October 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I've been on Myoplex for quite awhile with good results. Only thing is that it can get pricey.

geochuck
October 10th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Here is the Pizza thread http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=23532&highlight=pizza#post23532

Ha! I have never heard that before, but could be interesting after an early morning workout...throw a little hot sauce on there....nice!

My personal favorite is a chocolate protein shake (or a chocolate milk with protein...depends on how hot it is outside). Along with that, though I eat a banana and an orange...

USMSarah
October 10th, 2008, 10:08 AM

I have tried this a few times after practice and I felt really good. I did read the chocolate milk/recovery post somewhere on this forum a while back, so I thought I'd give it a try. I don't drink it immediately. I wait a bit until I've relaxed after working out.

A good ol' whole grain bagel and light plain cream cheese from Panera is pretty darn good too.

Mary1912
October 10th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I have two slices of whole wheat double fiber toast and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. That's after I drive home, shower, take my son to school and come back. So it's about an hour and a half from when I exit the pool to when I eat breakfast.

mjgold
October 10th, 2008, 11:36 AM
<shamelessplug> You should look into Fluid. It's made specifically for muscle recovery. Research shows that there is a window of about 30 minutes after working out that closes rapidly over the subsequent 2 hours when what you eat or drink to aid recovery helps the most. Research also shows that a protein-carbohydrate combination helps much better than carbs alone. Fluid is exactly that. It's been written about in journal articles and sports magazines. Plus, it doesn't taste like crap like most of those things. You can read about it here (http://www.livefluid.com/). </shamlessplug>

I also like to eat a banana immediately after swimming. I really don't need anything to keep me going, since swimming doesn't actually tire me out; but, bananas have a good amount of potassium, so I figure it can't hurt. It's just become part of my routine.

Lump
October 10th, 2008, 11:51 AM
<shamelessplug> You should look into Fluid. It's made specifically for muscle recovery. Research shows that there is a window of about 30 minutes after working out that closes rapidly over the subsequent 2 hours when what you eat or drink to aid recovery helps the most. Research also shows that a protein-carbohydrate combination helps much better than carbs alone. Fluid is exactly that. It's been written about in journal articles and sports magazines. Plus, it doesn't taste like crap like most of those things. You can read about it here (http://www.livefluid.com/). </shamlessplug>

I bit and ordered some of the Tropical. I need something quick and easy that I can mix with water on the way to work in the morning. I'll give it a shot.

mjgold
October 10th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Very nice. No dog food for me tonight. The tropical is good. I haven't tried the berry yet, but I have some on the way. Let me know what you think.

Ripple
October 10th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I read somewhere that recovery after a long or hard effort comes faster if you eat within at least 30 minutes of finishing, so I like things that are compact enough to tuck into the outside pocket of my swim bag. A little baggy of dried fruit (apricots are my favorite) and a small handful of nuts, usually almonds or pecans, work well for me. A nice mixture of carbohydrate (dried fruit), minerals (both), and protein and "good" fat (nuts).

Typhoons Coach
October 10th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I read somewhere that recovery after a long or hard effort comes faster if you eat within at least 30 minutes of finishing, so I like things that are compact enough to tuck into the outside pocket of my swim bag. A little baggy of dried fruit (apricots are my favorite) and a small handful of nuts, usually almonds or pecans, work well for me. A nice mixture of carbohydrate (dried fruit), minerals (both), and protein and "good" fat (nuts).

Quick and easy!! I could never eat the dried fruit...something psychological, I guess! Either way, it seems like (and in my opinion) that the fruit and high-proteined foods are the way to go (not including apples, though)!

ralphy5555
October 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I put a scoop of chocolate whey powder in my coffee. Seriously.

I like the chocolate whey in coffee idea a lot, can't wait to try it out!

Depending on how hard the work out is I pour a scoop of vanilla whey on cereal.....Dunno if i get the right ratio of carbs / protein after a work out but it is probably close enough.

aztimm
October 11th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Usually eat a Balance Gold bar as soon as I get to my car, when I'm driving away.

A few times a week, I'll go to Starbucks with some folks after swimming. I'll get either a nonfat banana-chocolate Vivano w/a shot or a venti black tea (no water no classic). Sometimes also one of the egg sandwiches (turkey bacon is good).

If I don't go to Starbucks, I keep a few Shamrock milk drinks in my fridge at the office, they are Mocha w/nonfat milk. I'll put in a scoop of whey protein with that.

Generally I snack throughout the morning, healthy stuff. Nuts, peanuts, nut cluster things, granola mixed with protein cereal.

I try to avoid carbs, especially sugars, and eat more protein. Although I may be hungry, I don't want to gain extra weight.

norascats
October 12th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I have to say that I eat a nice fresh cinnamon bun. It is so hard to find fresh pastry that hasn't been sogged by plastic. But I found a place on my way home!

lefty
October 12th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I signed up with a personal trainer for a few weeks, and we did a diet log. I was not having enough protein in the morning. I always thought banana and toast was a good breakfast. Or apples and a waffle. Now I add peanut butter, (or) eggs, (or) cheese or occasionally ham. I think I feel better in the late morning...

aqualung
October 13th, 2008, 12:16 AM
After daily morning water polo workouts in high school, we would each have a box of a dozen doughnuts, or a good fraction of that box. Is that good? I doubt it.

onefish
October 13th, 2008, 08:01 AM
The note above about donuts reminds me of Saturday morning workouts in high school. We'd stop by a donut place nearby that had an illuminated sign when the donuts were right out of the fryer. A dozen hot ones and a quart of cold milk - then a long nap.....

DV

Lump
October 13th, 2008, 09:21 AM
The note above about donuts reminds me of Saturday morning workouts in high school. We'd stop by a donut place nearby that had an illuminated sign when the donuts were right out of the fryer. A dozen hot ones and a quart of cold milk - then a long nap.....

DV

Much the same story here....we also hit up Dunkin Donuts and I'd split a dozen with my buddy or we'd hit Shoney's breakfast buffet and eat our weights worth of food! Back when we didn't know what a calorie was!

ddunbar
October 13th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Back when we could burn 10,000 calories a day I ate more peanut butter & jelly sandwiches than I care to remember. After the AM practice for breakfast, after school before practice, after dinner before bed.

On a rare occasion (probably an Australian holiday) My first coach, Terry Gathercole, would brew grog in the big coffee pot,which consisted of a box of nestles quick, a jar of creamer, a box of powdered sugar (1100 calories per 4 oz serving).

Nothing before practice then or now, I used to drink orange juice, but reflux has stopped that.

If I am traveling and do an AM practice, then it is generally McFood afterwards - a sausage egg mcmuffin worth 370 calories (and balanced well between fats, carbs, 7 protein) and coffee. I just need the discipline to dump the hash browns.

I have also tried the starbucks vivano chocolate banana, protein powder blend with no fat milk. I like it but there are two draw backs; The first is putting an ice cold on an empty stomach can be be painful - so it gets mixed with a low fat (not low cal) muffin, and the second is that believe it or not, there are places in the universe without a Starbucks.

Evening practice - I am out of the pool and home between 8:15 and 8:30 for a late dinner.

Glider
October 13th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Oh, man these are both good...Have you tried the Golden Corral weekend breakfast bar???:bliss:

Much the same story here....we also hit up Dunkin Donuts and I'd split a dozen with my buddy or we'd hit Shoney's breakfast buffet and eat our weights worth of food! Back when we didn't know what a calorie was!

Syd
October 13th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I like chocolate milk, although some brands make me feel ill for the first half hour after drinking them. Recently the 7-11 near the pool has been stocking a brand called "Swiss Miss" which is rich, smooth and delicious. Otherwise I drink "Ovaltine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovaltine)".

Did any of you ever sing this when you were teenagers?

(To the tune of Hark the Herald Angels Sing):

Uncle George and Auntie Mabel
fainted at the breakfast table.

This should be sufficient warning
not to do it in the morning.

Ovaltine has set them right.
Now they do it in the night.

Uncle George is hoping soon
to do it in the afternoon. (x2)

aztimm
October 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I have also tried the starbucks vivano chocolate banana, protein powder blend with no fat milk. I like it but there are two draw backs; The first is putting an ice cold on an empty stomach can be be painful - so it gets mixed with a low fat (not low cal) muffin, and the second is that believe it or not, there are places in the universe without a Starbucks.

Very funny, and yes I agree. I was traveling in some parts of rural New Mexico last week, and Starbucks were a tough find. Even in Taos, where I would have expected one, nada. I did find a nice local coffee shop in Raton, and the drink was fantastic (sometimes it seems Starbucks relies too heavily on their mixes).

I just got an iPhone last week, and there's a mapping program with add-ons....one has a Starbucks locator. It finds where you're at, and maps out any nearby Starbucks locations (but gave me the error in those places without one).

geochuck
October 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM
We prefer Tim Horton's in Canada http://www.timhortons.com/locator/index.html

ddunbar
October 13th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Very funny, and yes I agree. I was traveling in some parts of rural New Mexico last week, and Starbucks were a tough find. Even in Taos, where I would have expected one, nada. I did find a nice local coffee shop in Raton, and the drink was fantastic (sometimes it seems Starbucks relies too heavily on their mixes).

I just got an iPhone last week, and there's a mapping program with add-ons....one has a Starbucks locator. It finds where you're at, and maps out any nearby Starbucks locations (but gave me the error in those places without one).

Starbucks locations are one of my POI lists on my Garmin which shows that the Jal, Hobbs, Artesia area are bereft of them. There were a couple of websites that had inputs for all sorts of POIs. I have all the facilities that I am responsible for downloaded and I correct them as I need to. I also add the pools that I find. It gives me an idea of how long it will take to get from the job site or hotel to the pool.

daveindc
October 13th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Naked Juice - tastes delicious and is good for recover. Too pricey to have all the time though.

I drink whey protein shakes.

Lump
October 13th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Oh, man these are both good...Have you tried the Golden Corral weekend breakfast bar???:bliss:

Today's version for me is Waffle House All-Star Special or the Ham n' Cheese Omelet Special after a Saturday AM workout. YUMMY!:banana:

Doug Adamavich
October 14th, 2008, 01:15 PM
During my training cycle, I would eat a banana about an hour before practice and drink some water on my way to the pool. At the pool, I would make up a container of Accelerade. I like the fruit punch but dilute it so it doesn't taste so thick ;-) Afterwards, I go home and chow-down.

OK, I train at night but wanted to share anyway.

After meets, I have switched over to Heed because I feel much better after drinking that. One of my biking buddies suggested it and it works. Before dryland training at 0600 I with usually eat a Powerbar(tm) or a Marathon Bar(tm) or a packet of Vanilla Gu(tm). Oh yes, add a little bit of water on the way.

I think you need protein when you are training, it seems to help a lot with recovery and residual soreness. Carbs are necessary too, your body needs them after all to produce energy. Since I have begun eating more protein, my performance has improved noticably.

Just my experience, take it for what it is worth.

USMSarah
October 14th, 2008, 01:48 PM
We prefer Tim Horton's in Canada http://www.timhortons.com/locator/index.html

Frequented those when I lived in Ohio... way better than Krispy Kreme.

david.margrave
October 17th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I like chocolate milk and a frozen banana mixed in a blender.

After some difficult distance workouts I start getting cramps in the calves, which is kind of confusing to me since I don't kick very hard on distance sets. Anyhow some people have told me that the potassium from bananas is good to prevent cramps.

geochuck
October 17th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Too little or too much potassium (K) can have untoward effects on the heart in so much as the cardiac rhythm. There is a safe range and some acceptable low and high tolerances, but if they are extreme then it can be dangerous.

mjgold
October 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I think if you're going to go around telling people that bananas will give you an arrhythmia, you should make sure you tell them that unless you have kidney problems, diabetes, or eat extremely potassium-rich foods, a banana will NOT have any negative effect on your body, and will actually help you.

If you're going to worry about bananas, you should worry about the following:

Papaya (781mg)
Prune juice (707mg/cup)
Cubed cantaloupe (494mg/cup)
Diced honeydew melon (461mg)
Raisins (1089mg/cup)
Mango (323mg)
Small oranges (237mg) or orange juice (472mg/cup)
Peaches (193mg)
Watermelon (176mg/cup)
Apples (159mg) or apple juice (254mg/cup)
Tomato juice (535mg/cup) or chopped or sliced tomato (400mg)
Baked sweet potatoes (508mg)
Potatoes (844mg)
Soy milk (345mg/cup)
Three ounces of baked or broiled salmon (319mg)
Three ounces of roasted turkey, dark meat (259mg)
Two tablespoons of peanut butter (214mg)

You get the idea? There are nine things in there that have more potassium than bananas (422mg).

geochuck
October 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM
And I eat nearly all of them but never over indulge.

I think if you're going to go around telling people that bananas will give you an arrhythmia, you should make sure you tell them that unless you have kidney problems, diabetes, or eat extremely potassium-rich foods, a banana will NOT have any negative effect on your body, and will actually help you.

If you're going to worry about bananas, you should worry about the following:

Papaya (781mg)
Prune juice (707mg/cup)
Cubed cantaloupe (494mg/cup)
Diced honeydew melon (461mg)
Raisins (1089mg/cup)
Mango (323mg)
Small oranges (237mg) or orange juice (472mg/cup)
Peaches (193mg)
Watermelon (176mg/cup)
Apples (159mg) or apple juice (254mg/cup)
Tomato juice (535mg/cup) or chopped or sliced tomato (400mg)
Baked sweet potatoes (508mg)
Potatoes (844mg)
Soy milk (345mg/cup)
Three ounces of baked or broiled salmon (319mg)
Three ounces of roasted turkey, dark meat (259mg)
Two tablespoons of peanut butter (214mg)

You get the idea? There are nine things in there that have more potassium than bananas (422mg).

mjgold
October 17th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Moderation is the key. I think most people in this country have a problem with that.

SwimStud
December 15th, 2010, 03:31 PM
What are everyone's thoughts about using Egg-nog and Captain Morgan as a recovery drink?
:D

scyfreestyler
December 15th, 2010, 03:36 PM
What are everyone's thoughts about using Egg-nog and Captain Morgan as a recovery drink?

Fine choice, I would say.

Not having any spiced rum on hand, I've been using Malibu as a substitute. The recovery benefits are absolutely incredible. Oh yeah, tastes pretty good too!

ElaineK
December 15th, 2010, 04:38 PM

'Tis the season!
:chug:

debaru
December 15th, 2010, 04:42 PM

I don't know. I hear the bent-leg side effect can really mess up your swim stroke. However, it may be beneficial for breaststroke! :bump:

swimshark
December 16th, 2010, 07:32 AM

Only if you share.:chug:

fmracing
December 16th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I stop at the gas station and get a 44oz diet mt dew and two hotdogs after every workout :) It makes me feel so much better after my lunchtime swims.

geochuck
December 16th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Have you ever seen how they make wieners. My wife experimented once and cooked up some chicken skins and walla they looked exactly like chicken wiener filling. When I was a kid I used to go to the local meat packer, saw them making wieners yuck.

Weiners are mostly fat and have lots of salt. You should see what they grind up and add to these things.

The gas station puts them on those rolley things called hotdog buns. Not very appetizing, a slosh of mustard, relish, and ketchup add to the taste.

During the war when we could not get all foods, ketchup sandwiches tasted good. We even enjoyed miraclewhip sandwiches with relish. I am sure they were as nourishing as a hotdog. Probably tasted as good as a hot dog.

knelson
December 16th, 2010, 06:33 PM
My wife experimented once and cooked up some chicken skins and walla

What the heck is walla? :D

geochuck
December 16th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Walla is a sound effect imitating the murmur of a crowd in the background amazed at the result.

norascats
December 17th, 2010, 08:58 AM
My favorite after swim food is a bacon egg and cheese from the deli on my way home. De--licious.

skipper
December 17th, 2010, 09:39 AM
For me it's a smoothie. My own recipe I put together it gives me a lift after a morning swim.
:anim_coffee:

Keep truckin
Skipper

jethro
December 17th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I like greasy breakfast food after a hard workout. Waffle House is preferred, but when pressed for time any of the fast food chains' breakfast sandwiches will do. :agree:

fmracing
December 17th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Have you ever seen how they make wieners. My wife experimented once and cooked up some chicken skins and walla they looked exactly like chicken wiener filling. When I was a kid I used to go to the local meat packer, saw them making wieners yuck.

Weiners are mostly fat and have lots of salt. You should see what they grind up and add to these things.

The gas station puts them on those rolley things called hotdog buns. Not very appetizing, a slosh of mustard, relish, and ketchup add to the taste.

During the war when we could not get all foods, ketchup sandwiches tasted good. We even enjoyed miraclewhip sandwiches with relish. I am sure they were as nourishing as a hotdog. Probably tasted as good as a hot dog.

I know what goes in em... and it all tastes pretty damn awesome to me... but I don't go crazy with the condiments, just a small bit of relish and a line of ketchup.

And who doesn't like chicken skin? That's the best part of a chicken. I go to KFC, get a bucket, and eat all the extra crispy breading/skin and toss the rest. This tasty blissful conglomeration of ingredients couldn't be made possible without the use of the gods' tool: the pressure fryer.

This was just about my after workout snack. I won't even get started on the cheeseburger dinners that fully recharge me for the next day's workout. :angel:

ElaineK
December 17th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I like greasy breakfast food after a hard workout. Waffle House is preferred, but when pressed for time any of the fast food chains' breakfast sandwiches will do. :agree:

What? No chocolate?? :D

jethro
December 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM
What? No chocolate?? :D

Of course! That's *before* the workout. :bliss: