PDA

View Full Version : Coach Owned Swim Team???

spudfin
October 10th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Good Morning
My son is on a team that is transitioning to a Coach owned team. There is all the associated angst going on from a Board that has been directing the team. Since I have no experience with this I am asking for yours as I am sure this has happened before. What has been your experience? Is this a good thing? What can we expect? For the record the coaches are AWESOME on his team. The Board is not(awesome). My son loves swimming for these guys as do most all of the kids.
Many Thanks
Spudfin

USMSarah
October 10th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I pm'd you.

hofffam
October 10th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I suggest the answer is "it depends."

My kids have swum for both kinds. Our best overall experience was with a coach owned team. But that was because of great coaching. However the team was poorly run. A team is a complex organization. A lot of money is involved. Billing has to be done. Someone needs to handle Team Manager software. Someone needs to handle team clothing orders. Someone has to negotiate for pool access (unless the coach owns the pool - very rare). Our best team eventually came apart because it couldn't hang on to a pool. The head coach was oftena a b*tch and a poor business person. She regularly ran off every volunteer that handled the tasks above.

Other teams do the business stuff well but have crappy coaches.

I think the secret to a well run team is a clear separation of duties for different tasks. Let the coaches coach. Someone diligent and smart needs to handle the operations. And they need to coordinate.

JimRude
October 10th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I have swam for and coached both types of teams. I much prefer coach-owned/controlled teams.

Swim parents are a massive pain in the a$$, and contrary to what many believe there is no connection between owning a business, having a successful child swimmer, being a former swimmer, etc, etc and knowing how to run a swim club successfully.

One caveat: some swim coaches have NO business sense, in which case the coach should definitely outsource marketing, accounting, etc.

Typhoons Coach
October 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I've coached both and can say that I enjoyed coaching my own team, but I like to take the load off my back every now and then. My personal/professional opinion is to go where you think your kids can get the best swimming experience (the best bang for your buck)! Don't worry too much about the admin stuff, but look at the overall program.

Kurt Dickson
October 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I don't think it matters. The coach is either beholden to a board or or his own pocket book. I miss the good old days when coaches were allowed to "administer" pink bellies at the hands of the rest of the team if you were late. The kids I see get away with a lot more and their crazy parents defend them. The coach can either get mad and kick them off and lose 80 dollars/month or keep their mouth shut. Children rule the earth. :agree:

Typhoons Coach
October 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Children rule the earth. :agree:

They definitely rule the swimming world!!

delgrosso
October 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I have a question about a coach owned team. If they own the team, and we pay a monthly coaching fee, as well as a pool fee, is it approproate for us to also have to pay for the coaches gas, meals and deck time, when at a meet? My thought was that should be on them? They do not agee. Any thoughts here?

hofffam
October 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Although I would prefer not being itemized for coach's travel costs I don't have a problem with it unless the monthly fees are already high.

I DO have a problem with paying for a coach's deck time at a meet. Travel costs are unpredictable. But I think a coach needs to expect they will work meets no matter what. And the monthly coaching fee should accomodate it.

Typhoons Coach
October 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I have a question about a coach owned team. If they own the team, and we pay a monthly coaching fee, as well as a pool fee, is it approproate for us to also have to pay for the coaches gas, meals and deck time, when at a meet? My thought was that should be on them? They do not agee. Any thoughts here?

The monthly coaching fee should be associated with the deck time fee. Travel time, gas, etc should also be included in the coach's monthly fee (especially since it is a tax deduction as a business expense). Either way, how are you going to approach this coach to rectify the issue?