PDA

View Full Version : can you get fungi toes from the pool?

ddl
October 11th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Today heard someone telling another in the elevator that he got fungi toenails from (he said he's sure) the swimming pool facility. Does that happen a lot?

Aqua Jock
October 11th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Don't think it's from the pool probably the deck or the locker room. it's the same fungi as athletes foot but it grows in your nails and nailbeds. there's some topical treatments that will make it go away but you have to stay on it since nails grow so slowly

AJ

Today heard someone telling another in the elevator that he got fungi toenails from (he said he's sure) the swimming pool facility. Does that happen a lot?

chaos
October 11th, 2008, 10:13 AM
maybe i'm wrong on this but i believe fungus likes warm, dark and moist.

so if you're wondering why i'm still wearing flip-flops after labor day (halloween, thanksgiving, x-mas, etc)....thats why....well thats one reason anyway. i also figure that i save about six hours per year not having to don socks.

hofffam
October 11th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Very good odds of eliminating toenail fungus using an oral intake of Lamisil. But you gotta have a Rx for that. The cream version is over the counter but will probably not take care of it.

ddl
October 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Probably should not share towels. I think the pools just put the towels in washing machine, which can hardly clean it. Sometimes see stains on towels :mad:

Lump
October 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM
In all my 30+ years of swimming and being around locker rooms, lakes, and the like the worst I've ever had is some athletes foot. Nothing a little "Fast Actin' Tenactin" wouldn't cure.

geochuck
October 11th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Causes of toenail fungus. http://www.permanente.net/homepage/kaiser/pdf/541.pdf

2fish&1whale
October 11th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Here is something gross for you then.....

My kid got a quarter size rash under his eye that turned out to be ringworm/fungal infection-
and according to my pharmacist he most likely picked it up by always putting his goggles on the pool deck.
Just think of the number of people that walk around the pool with gnarly toes and you will never want to set a bare foot or your goggles on the floor.:eeew:

geochuck
October 11th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Do you have a cat or dog at home, most ring worms are caused by pets. Have your pets checked.
http://www.symptoms-ringworm-treatment.com/causes-of-ringworm.html

Here is something gross for you then.....

My kid got a quarter size rash under his eye that turned out to be ringworm/fungal infection-
and according to my pharmacist he most likely picked it up by always putting his goggles on the pool deck.
Just think of the number of people that walk around the pool with gnarly toes and you will never want to set a bare foot or your goggles on the floor.:eeew:

2fish&1whale
October 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Do you have a cat or dog at home, most ring worms are caused by pets. Have your pets checked.
http://www.symptoms-ringworm-treatment.com/causes-of-ringworm.html
We don't have any pets, but back when this happened (6-7 years ago)my kids did have the nasty habit of just throwing their goggles on the pool deck.
Now they swim competitively and they know to wear their flip-flops and they keep their goggles on their heads.
They have seen what some of the kids on their team have on their feet(planter warts for instance) and they got pretty grossed out.

geochuck
October 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Laxity in swim pool staff. In the pool I swam in as a kid they used to have a lifeguard that checked the feet, they were not allowed in the pool if they had any thing wrong. If they did not have a complete shower, not allowed to enter the pool.

We don't have any pets, but back when this happened (6-7 years ago)my kids did have the nasty habit of just throwing their goggles on the pool deck.
Now they swim competitively and they know to wear their flip-flops and they keep their goggles on their heads.
They have seen what some of the kids on their team have on their feet(planter warts for instance) and they got pretty grossed out.

3strokes
October 12th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Laxity in swim pool staff. In the pool I swam in as a kid they used to have a lifeguard that checked the feet, they were not allowed in the pool if they had any thing wrong. If they did not have a complete shower, not allowed to enter the pool.

That's the problem nowadays. The rules are posted. No Shower, No swim..... Bla Bla Bla........ and nobody enforces any of them.

A couple of years ago I had to report to the staff a man swimming with numerous open, oozing, sores on his back.

They said they couldn't risk offending him by seeming to target him (Political Correctness gone way too far) because he was of a certain ethnic group.

I got out (I know I should have also sent a missive to the City, but I understood where the lifeguards were afraid of.)

laineybug
October 12th, 2008, 06:01 PM
We use to pick up funk of some sort from the beach sand. It was a long time ago and I don't remember what it was. My doc's recommendation:
Keep a 'pan' of clorox and water beside the shower. Step into it before and after.
DRY FEET COMPLETELY, with a hair dryer.
Wear sandles when ever possible
It did work wonders.
Lainey

lefty
October 12th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Very good odds of eliminating toenail fungus using an oral intake of Lamisil. But you gotta have a Rx for that. The cream version is over the counter but will probably not take care of it.

There is now a generic Lamisil. IT is 90% cheaper. (I took Lamisil for 6 months and it cost me $2,000, yuck, but it worked) And you are 100% right, if you have a fungus under the nail it can only be eliminated with a oral meds.

Oh, and it didnt come from the pool.

ddl
October 12th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Once I swam at a pool due to the closing of my regular pool. The lane dividers, which I occasionally put my arm on, was very dirty. A couple days later that area of my arm had some small pea-sized purple bruise-like spots, not skin rash but just like bruises. They disappeared after a few days. I wonder if they were caused by the dirt on the lane divider, or by some unusual chemical level in that pool.

nkfrench
October 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM
The fungus is hard to avoid but keeping your feet clean cool and dry will avoid problems. I've heard nailbed fungus is very resilient to treatment.

On a personal note, 2 years ago my omnipresent athlete's foot got a secondary drug-resistant staph infection. That was very nasty stuff, my foot abscessed, and some people lose toes or worse in similar situations. I missed 2+ weeks of work and was on IV antibiotics and some painful treatment cleaning out the abscess. I threw away all the socks and shoes I had worn and bought some flip-flops that I ALWAYS wear around the pool/lockerrooms now. I also have been diligent taking care of my feet.

jim clemmons
October 13th, 2008, 10:50 PM

Are you aware of any negative performance effects that might accompany ingesting the stuff? Seriously, I stopped taking Lipitor due to muscle soreness while trying to workout and switched to an alternative.

ddl
October 13th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Are you aware of any negative performance effects that might accompany ingesting the stuff? Seriously, I stopped taking Lipitor due to muscle soreness while trying to workout and switched to an alternative.

Also, could that count as doping? ;)

jim clemmons
October 14th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Also, could that count as doping? ;)

Pretty certain there wouldn't be any performance "enhancement" - just wondering if it hinders one in any way.

hofffam
October 14th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Oral Lamisil carries some risk of liver damage like all oral antifungal drugs. That is why oral Lamisil requires a prescription. The doctor will usually do a blood test after the Lamisil is started to be sure. I have taken oral Lamisil twice and had neither any liver effects nor any impact on athletic performance. I think when prescribed for toenail fungus you will take it for several weeks.

Note that I am not a doctor but speaking from experience. Google Lamisil and I think you will find what you might want to know. I can say it works very well. It eliminated some entrenched and persistent toenail fungus.