PDA

View Full Version : Fly at practice in narrow lanes?

smontanaro
October 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I don't do fly though I wish I could (at least enough to make it through a 100 fly or 200IM). I'm switching to a different team this year, going from Northwestern's nice wide lanes to the much narrower lanes at the local YWCA. Now I think I will wind up doing even less fly. One of my problems with fly (even at NU's pool) is banging my arms on the lane lines when circle swimming. That really does a number on my shoulder. Now I'm all but guaranteed to whack the lane line. What's a poor fella to do?

Skip

swimmj
October 11th, 2008, 01:51 PM
You can ask the coach to have 2 lanes circle swim together - go north in lane 1 and south in lane 2. You simply start everyone in lane 1 and on your turn, push off under the lane line and end up swimming back in lane 2. Works like a charm and is lots of fun to do.

--mj

rtodd
October 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I see people hug the lane line with fly and their arm does clear it. Also, I've seen team swimmers 6 to a lane flying with great skill and making a slight adjustment to avoid hiting. I guess they get used to it.

CreamPuff
October 11th, 2008, 09:49 PM
What's a poor fella to do?

Skip

Battle scars are cool to show off at your favorite pub.

I have a large permanent scar in the middle of my right hand from scraping the concrete in lane 1 multiple times.

There's also a bruise on that hand that changes shape and color as the season progresses. Right now it's about one third the size of my hand and a yellow-brown color.

It's all cool.

smontanaro
October 11th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Battle scars are cool to show off at your favorite pub.

Thanks. I prefer not to go shopping for the scars an orthopedic surgeon would give me though. :)

Skip

Chris Stevenson
October 12th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I have a large permanent scar in the middle of my right hand from scraping the concrete in lane 1 multiple times.

That's so funny, I have the exact same scar on my right hand and for the same reason.

geochuck
October 12th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Interval with 5 or 6 swimming fly in a lane, either scy or lcm. A swimmer swims right down he center of the lane, each swimmer starts his fly every 3 seconds. Interval is 15 or 16 sec and you start another 25 or 50.

geochuck
October 12th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I have seen some coaches who remove the lane line and use 2 lanes. This way they can swim up to 15 flyers in two lanes easily

You can ask the coach to have 2 lanes circle swim together - go north in lane 1 and south in lane 2. You simply start everyone in lane 1 and on your turn, push off under the lane line and end up swimming back in lane 2. Works like a charm and is lots of fun to do.

--mj

Typhoons Coach
October 13th, 2008, 08:18 AM

--mj

I've done this as well. I also have swimmers do one-arm fly as they pass eachother...an idea...