PDA

View Full Version : Should i ask for different workout?

jjpj
October 11th, 2008, 11:23 PM
i am on masters team i swim with older guy like 50's (i'm 30 ) which is ok.
When i started weeks ago it was hard to keep up but now no problem.
We do like 4500-5400yds per day-drills mostly enduarnce. but on days when he does not show up our coach gives me sprint sets-which i like(i feel the need for speed). I am little faster then him- does it mean i should follow different workoputs? or just stick to current program and let coach decide?-
thanks

jjpj
:)

swimshark
October 12th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I'm one from the camp that even if I don't like the workout, the coach has his/her reasons and I stick to it. I'm so not a printer but I will do sprints in workout if the coach tells me to. Occasionally I'll lower the interval if needed.

Hope that helps.

Chris Stevenson
October 12th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I don't think it is fair if the other person always drives the workouts. Ask the coach to give both kinds of workouts. I think it is good for anyone to mix up different types of training (endurance, speed, lactate, drills, kicking, etc).

It also shouldn't be hard to modify (or have the coach modify) a given set to suit both your and the other person's needs at the same time (eg, you can go a different distance or stroke on the same interval).

geochuck
October 12th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Some coaches are not flexible some are.

Typhoons Coach
October 13th, 2008, 08:15 AM
When I draw up a workout, I have reasons for doing things at specific intervals. If I have a lane with both extremes (faster swimmer and a slower swimmer and a couple of average swimmers), I will base the interval on the average swimmers and adjust for the extremes. If it is one extreme and the other I will go based on the slower swimmer for the interval and change it for the advanced swimmer.

SKO
October 13th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Generally i try and do the posted workout since even sprinters can gain something from distance sets, but sometimes if the practice has a bunch of 400s or 500's i'll break them up into 50, 75, or 100's at a higher intensity. A bit rough cuz you kind of swim inbetween people, but works out ok for me.