PDA

View Full Version : First Meet

mjgold
October 12th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Well, it's over. My first meet was yesterday. It was a both a mess and a good experience. The heat sheets were given to us the night before, but when we got to the meet the next morning, we were told that they were incorrect. Supposedly "correct" ones were passed out, which also turned out to be incorrect. Heats were often combined without any notice, and more than few swimmers missed their events. The loudspeaker system was also very poor, so it was hard to hear what was going on. In fact, I missed my heat of the 100m breast, along with everyone else in my heat!

Anyway, I was only scheduled for 2 events, so that was sort of disappointing. Luckily, I got onto a relay team for the 200 free. My first race of my first meet went poorly. My start was bad, my pullout was bad, my stroke was a mess, and my turn--which I have done perfectly hundreds of times in practice--was horrible. I still got second place (out of not many people) in my age group, but I swam it so much slower than I could have and have been. I think the problem started with the fact that I need to be focused before I try to swim fast, and I found out that I was supposed to be on the block about 30 seconds before my event started. I was really nervous anyway, but that just made it worse. I realized my mistakes as I was making them, but once I started off poorly, I couldn't seem to correct anything.

The relay was really fun, though. We came in first place in our heat, but I don't even know the overall results. It was a 4x50 free, and I swam my leg 7 seconds faster than I have done at practice. That was a great event because I found out why everyone loves relays, and I also discovered that I am much more comfortable swimming freestyle than I thought I was. I'm going to a meet in a month, and I'm definitely going to swim more freestyle events.

Ripple
October 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM
What a shame it was so badly organized. (Sounds like the last open water race I did.) I'm planning to do my first meet ever in January and hope it goes better than that.

mjgold
October 12th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah, and what was kind of surprising was the actual facility. It is supposedly a $66.3 million facility, but there was only a small area for people to watch (which didn't matter, because only about 20 people were spectators only); the temperature around the pool was fine, but the temperature in the stands was really hot; the concession stand was closed, and the closest place to eat was a dunkin donuts that was a 15 minute walk away; and, although the pool was nice and fancy, I didn't think it was that much nicer than the 25-yard pool at the Y in Mt. Holly. I definitely did not think $66.3 million.

geochuck
October 12th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I have been at some very badly organized meets over the years. Some where there we no heat sheets you sat by age group and raced only your age group. Or your event and they decided what heat you would be in by your good looks.

I never took time to focus at meets and it is a good time to psych out swimmers who are trying to focus.

Typhoons Coach
October 13th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Sorry about your bad experience with the meet organization! However, the first one is under your belt...when is #2?

mjgold
October 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Sorry about your bad experience with the meet organization! However, the first one is under your belt...when is #2?

I didn't see your question, sorry. Number 2 is this Saturday, so I'm hoping to make up for it! I'm swimming the 200 free, the 100 breast, and a 100 IM. :afraid:

tjrpatt
October 14th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I didn't see your question, sorry. Number 2 is this Saturday, so I'm hoping to make up for it! I'm swimming the 200 free, the 100 breast, and a 100 IM. :afraid:

You are doing the UMBC meet? I was going to do but since none of my mine events were in the meet, I decided to bail on the meet. Good luck! I hope that you have a better experience than last weekend.

mjgold
October 14th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I'm going to UMBC. I'm going to do Salisbury too most likely. Thanks for the well wishes. I've just started to be able to do fly, so we'll see how it goes!

Typhoons Coach
October 15th, 2008, 08:03 AM
You are doing the UMBC meet? I was going to do but since none of my mine events were in the meet, I decided to bail on the meet. Good luck! I hope that you have a better experience than last weekend.

I'm sure you will have a better experience! Just keep at it; I can definitely tell that you have a passion for the sport which is great to see!!

knelson
October 16th, 2008, 10:52 AM
What were your times? Come on, this is swimming, we need to know what your times were. :)

mjgold
October 16th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Oh, sorry! I was swimming a 28 second 50 yard breast in practice, and I swam a horrific 45.55 seconds in SCM, which converts to about 40 seconds in yards. Like I said though, everything that could have gone wrong in that swim went wrong, so I'm glad that I got it all out. I swam my leg of the relay in about 30 seconds. I also could have done that faster, but I screwed up the turn out of excitement, haha. I'm looking forward to the meet this weekend to see what I can do when I'm not so nervous.

geochuck
October 16th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Your time for 50 yards 28 should have made your 50 meters around 30.5 or 31. To me, it is a pretty fast time.

mjgold
October 16th, 2008, 12:22 PM
You don't have to rub it in, haha. I watched the video of me swimming, and it was just hard to watch. I almost missed that heat too, and if I'm not focused, I don't swim well. I literally had to jump out of the warmup pool, run to the blocks, jump on the blocks, and go. I was doing some weird form of continuous breaststroke with my hips all low and my legs far apart. I was also looking all over the place, and I went sideways on my turn almost into the next lane. My start was also horrendous, and my breakout had my feet out of the water. Like I said, I'm glad that swim went the way it did, because everything I was worried about happening happened. I got it all out of my system so I can swim Saturday without any worries.

knelson
October 16th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Good luck with your next meet. It sounds like you already learned a lot from your first experience.

mjgold
October 16th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I'll post how I do when it's over. We'll see how much I really learned.

The Fortress
October 16th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Your time for 50 yards 28 should have made your 50 meters around 30.5 or 31. To me, it is a pretty fast time.

Since I'm on a roll today, is it literally possible to swim 28 in SCY and 45 in SCM?

mjgold
October 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Damn, woman. I'm living proof that it's possible, haha. I posted here because I thought I'd get some encouragement to do better on my next meet and to take comfort in the fact that I got my first meet under my belt, not to have you tell me how ****** a swimmer I am. :cry:

The Fortress
October 16th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Damn, woman. I'm living proof that it's possible, haha. I posted here because I thought I'd get some encouragement to do better on my next meet and to take comfort in the fact that I got my first meet under my belt, not to have you tell me how ****** a swimmer I am. :cry:

I didn't tell you that. Are you making implications and assumptions? :lmao: I expressed incredulity and asked a question.

Good luck at your next meet. Everyone is nervous at first.

FlyQueen
October 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Oh, sorry! I was swimming a 28 second 50 yard breast in practice, and I swam a horrific 45.55 seconds in SCM, which converts to about 40 seconds in yards. Like I said though, everything that could have gone wrong in that swim went wrong, so I'm glad that I got it all out. I swam my leg of the relay in about 30 seconds. I also could have done that faster, but I screwed up the turn out of excitement, haha. I'm looking forward to the meet this weekend to see what I can do when I'm not so nervous.

Did you stop in the middle of the pool for a latte?

JimRude
October 16th, 2008, 01:44 PM
... as I posted earlier on, if someone is pushing 50 scy breast in 28 at the end of a workout, they should get ready for Olympic Trials.

mjgold
October 16th, 2008, 01:49 PM
:coffee: :laugh2:

Thanks for the luck. I was pretty nervous because I was expecting a lot of myself. Now, I'm just looking to have fun and swim as well as I can.

SwimsWithAFist
October 16th, 2008, 01:52 PM

I am in no way calling you a liar or anything like that, but I think something is wrong with your practice time. I'll bet that either you or your coach mis-read the clock or your coach is messing with you. There is just no way that a 28 in practice SCY breaststroker will ever do a 45 SCM in a meet.

I have done a 28 once or twice in Masters and these days am very happy with doing a 29. In my most recent SCM meet I went a (slow for me) 34. For me to swim a 45 second SCM 50, I'd have to stand on the block picking my nose for 3 seconds after the start, dive in and have my goggles fall off, stop and search for them in the pool, take time put my goggles back on, stop and take 3 breaths on the turn wall, and swim as slow as I could possibly imagine in a race.

On top of that, a 28 SCY breast will get you in the top 10 in any age group in USMS. I believe you've said that you just started swimming recently and that this was your first meet ever, and that you are a young guy. I have never heard of anyone below 80 years old who just started swimming recently that can crack the top 10 so quickly in a 50 event. Not that it is impossible, but it's just very unlikely.

I'm not trying to put you down here. Really. A 45 second 50 SCM breast is a very good time for a new swimmer. I just don't believe that you actually swam a 28 in a 50 breast in practice. Some sort of mistake has been made.

The Fortress
October 16th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Damn, woman.

I prefer the Geek appellation of fegirl, please!

geochuck
October 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Good luck in your next meet, prove everybody wrong in their beliefs.

Could it have been the 1st or 2nd 25 yards in 28 second 50??? What an improvement doing a 45+ for a 50 scm in a race.
Since I'm on a roll today, is it literally possible to swim 28 in SCY and 45 in SCM?

Fort you are a slacker only 4,892 posts.

Allen Stark
October 16th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I hate it when they combine heats.I have a very consistent preparation to race and when I am suddenly swimming 5 min early I don't like it.I am sorry you had such a chaotic first meet.Let us know how the next one goes.

jnbaker
October 17th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Congrats on the first meet!

45 secs for SCM in breast is a really good time for someone just starting out!

nycswmr0102
October 18th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I was at Aquapalooza and I must say that I disagree with what has been said. Team New York Aquatics (host) did all that they could with the situation that they were given (hosting a meet at an NYC public pool) and did a great job. Granted the heat sheets did change frequently, I was there with a team of 15+ swimmers and nobody missed a race (unless it was intentional) or came close to missing a race. The only event that seemed to be combined a great deal was the 400 free and that was at the end of the meet.

As for the 50 breast, not to take anything away from a new swimmer but the only decent 50 breast swimmer that was in the entire men's field was the guy from FL who went 28 (and 1:03.0 in the 100). I have been around swimming too long to believe that anyone who has been 28 in a 50 yard breast in practice could ever go 45 in a 50 scm breast.

geochuck
October 18th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Before your next meet you should know the turn target on the bottom of a pool is supposed to be 5 feet from the wall.

You should also have a look at where backstroke markers are supposed to be.

Have a look at this pool plan http://www.virtualswim.com/pool.doc

Don't be fooled by the general info here 1650 yards, 66 lengths is not 1 mile a mile is 1760 yards. 1650 yards is very comparible to a 1500 meters.

swimshark
October 19th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Sorry the first meet went to poorly. I hope the next one is much better.