PDA

View Full Version : warm up / how to get comfortable faster?

ralphy5555
October 12th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I've been working on my stroke, body position and breathing 3 - 4 times a week in the pool. I'm not completely new to swimming I just haven't done it in a very long time....decades.

I did my second open water swim today. I swam two miles. It took me about 1/3 of distance (probably a little less) to get warmed up after that I was more comfortable. I could feel my self glide through the water effortlessly and I didn't really have to take any breaks except to spot buoys.

What can I do to get comfortable quicker? In a real race I won't wanna spend a lot of race time warming up. I know how to warm up for bike races and know certain bike races require different types of warm ups. The same goes for running.

Is this just something I have to do more often and will come in time or are there some techniques for this?

Rykno
October 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM
in a few of the OW races I have been too, we've been allowed to get into the water 10-15 minutes before the start. I usually swim 2-300m if I can, mostly to adjust my wetsuit so it sits right, and to allow any cold water in, so I don't get a shock on my first stroke.

fanstone
October 12th, 2008, 04:49 PM
If I warm up before a longer swim I won't have energy left to finish the darn thing! Here's the deal for me in my 50s age group: if swimming in a pool I'll get in to see how the turns are, and I'll swim maybe 100 meters, and take a couple of dives. If I am swimming in o.w. I might get in the water to get myself wet and wash the goggles. I will warm up while swimming the race itself. Once I took off too fast in a 1,000 meters race and got sorta into the "lactic" phase after a minute or so and then panicked because I thought I was out of breath and it took me sometime to get into the groove again. So I always swim the first couple of minutes slower, then I pick up and only do a semi sprint when in full view of the finish area with about 200 hundred meters to go.

ralphy5555
October 12th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I will warm up while swimming the race itself.

Do you find that warming up during the swim gets you behind or is that what most people do?

I've only done one triathlon it was a sprint so I don't really have any knowledge on this kind of stuff yet.

aqualung
October 13th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I stretch a lot before I leave the locker room.
I'm not sure if it speeds up the warm-up process, but theoretically, it should.

fanstone
October 13th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I mostly swim 1,000 meter o.w. races. Mostly my time stays within a certain limit. The first time it took me about 21 minutes, I was scared...then the second time I got down to 19 something and eventually I think I did a couple in 18 something. If I get a time much slower or much faster I always blame the measuring device, and see friends who have also been better or worse. Unless you are a pro, or really fast, your time sticks pretty much to usual baseline time. In a pool you might have the aid of a watch to pace you, or other swimmers, but in the lake all I do is just swim comfortably the first 600 (depending on where the buoy markers are) and then speed up a little for the remainder.

ralphy5555
October 13th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks for letting me know how you go about these races and look at them. It's helpful to hear how other people think about them.