PDA

View Full Version : Any idiots like me go to the pool to find out it was closed?

daveindc
October 13th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I had to work today so I forgot it was Columbus Day! :doh:

anita
October 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Pools are closed on Columbus Day? Mine was open, but not many regulars were there.

ViveBene
October 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM
7 a.m. swim in Lake Michigan. Water about 60 deg. Saturday it was 57, Sunday 62.4. Very pleasant month!

VB

tjrpatt
October 13th, 2008, 08:17 PM
My Y was open.

aztimm
October 13th, 2008, 10:33 PM
We swim whenever ASU is in session, and they were today. Mostly business as usual, we had a pretty nice crowd this morning (about 4 per lane).

The Fortress
October 13th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I had to work today so I forgot it was Columbus Day! :doh:

Columbus Day is a pernicious fabricated non-holiday designed solely for the purpose of tormenting endorphin starved teenage averse parents.

mjgold
October 14th, 2008, 11:07 AM
My pool was open, but there were few of us at practice.

Typhoons Coach
October 14th, 2008, 11:55 AM
We were definitely open yesterday! And what a long day of swimming it was!

anita
October 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Columbus Day is a pernicious fabricated non-holiday designed solely for the purpose of tormenting endorphin starved teenage averse parents.

Loved this description!
We have done away with Columbus Day as a school holiday for many years now. They use other excuses to give the kids a day off.

ViveBene
October 14th, 2008, 12:45 PM

LOL! (Are there any NON-fabricated nonholidays left?)

I do enjoy Columbus Day. Labor Day comes in what is the middle of the summer now (used to be the end), so Columbus Day feels like a real break. Usually I spend it hiking in the mountains, and enjoy the French Canadians on the trails, as it is Canadian Thanksgiving. Then the woods clear out, and you can feel everything turn toward November and winter and the first snowfall.

This year was my first time swimming OW on Columbus Day. Then the swimmers repaired to a French bakery and enjoyed a pear and blueberry tart as an impromptu celebration.

VB

shark
October 14th, 2008, 12:49 PM
What is Columbus Day? I seem to remember that it used to be celebrated as a day off for all, but I had to work and my Y was open. No mail though.

nkfrench
October 14th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I got tired of arranging my day/week around practices and then driving to the pool to find it closed. So I got on the team board of directors as secretary in charge of publishing the calendar ... still got surprised/locked out.

Columbus Day is a school holiday but our school facility usually lets us come in anyhow. This year the pool has been closed for maintenance since Oct 1 but our outdoor pool temps were below 74F so we got the day off. Repairs are completed so we're back indoors tonight. The more-blubberous of the Masters were managing at 74F, but the scrawnier kids weren't.