PDA

View Full Version : open water stroke and pool stroke.....

Mc Yummy
October 14th, 2008, 04:59 PM
.....is there any difference? i mean do you change the way you do your strokes for freestyle in a pool and when you swim open water?

PJElder
October 14th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Yes, when swimming open water I lift my head every ten strokes to site the buoy which changes my stroke, unless I am drafting someone fast that swims relatively straight :) If I can swim a race 2 minutes faster than someone, but they swim 200 meters less distance, they win.

My stroke cadance and rhthym also changes in open water due to the waves or currents. I don't focus on stroke technique and instead go where the waves take me in open water. The unpredicability of open water makes it fun and different from pool swimming for a change of pace.

fanstone
October 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Your head or torso turns more because you don't have the line or lanes to keep you straight and you have to "see" the sky. You also might get reference points as the shoreline, clouds, sun or whatever and these will make your head turn more so you can see them. In a pool all you have to see eventually are your competitors. Aside from that I sometimes do some breast strokes to see where I am going, or for going around the buoys without kicking or getting kicked. The waves are also something to reckon with. You might be pulling on air so your next stroke might have to compensate.

chaos
October 14th, 2008, 09:56 PM
the pool where i train has narrow (6') lanes, naturally, my stroke gets tighter.

the conditions effect the way i swim in open water.

a head wind with chop will cause me to swim lower.

waves or swells from the side will cause me to widen my catch.

rough water; i roll more and breathe carefully.

Rykno
October 15th, 2008, 02:27 AM
In some cases you can't avoid swimming against the waves. depends on the layout of the course.

as far as rolling over to swim backstroke, not if you swim fast. I've seen some relatively fast swimmer take 1-2 breaststrokes because they had a hard time lining up, but to roll over on your back to rest, nope.

while practicing in open water I have swam 300-500m backstroke, but that wasn't to rest, it was to work on technique.

as far as stroke changes pool to OW, yes my stroke changes. but that is because I look fwd every 5-6 strokes. and since I wear a wet suit I tend to "paddle" more in OW than I do in the pool. meaning I pull straight back not the s-shaped arm movement I have in the pull.

Mc Yummy
October 15th, 2008, 12:52 PM
thanks guys for the replies... well now i know that there is a change in stroke when in open water compared to a controlled environment like the pool :)

geochuck
October 15th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Sighting is important, so when I raced I liked to beside other swimmers or a boat so I do not have to change my stroke. I looked at the boat or other swimmers let them do the course for me.

DeletedAccount
October 17th, 2008, 05:52 PM
If I can swim a race 2 minutes faster than someone, but they swim 200 meters less distance, they win.

Hmmmmm. As a (very) novice OW swimmer 7 weeks out from a race, this was carefully and duly noted. Thanks.

T