PDA

View Full Version : mental swimmers

swimkswim
October 14th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I was a 100 percent a mental swimmer and still am. I am training on my own right now and then going to swim this summer at home and might possibly try to swim next year at college after deciding not to do it this year, cause i miss it so mcuh and my college coach said the door is always open for next year, any suggestion on how to not stay a mental swimmer and focus on the uncontroables. or know a good website or book to read? i want to work on these things now so i am ready for if i swim next year at college!

Typhoons Coach
October 15th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I was a 100 percent a mental swimmer and still am. I am training on my own right now and then going to swim this summer at home and might possibly try to swim next year at college after deciding not to do it this year, cause i miss it so mcuh and my college coach said the door is always open for next year, any suggestion on how to not stay a mental swimmer and focus on the uncontroables. or know a good website or book to read? i want to work on these things now so i am ready for if i swim next year at college!

I have heard that the waterproof MP3 players are great for the mental swimmers out there as it gives them something to focus on...great to hear that you are getting back into the swim of things!!!

USMSarah
October 15th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Give yourself some time to refocus and figure out what it is you want out of swimming. Get some short term goals, try to compete in the spring and summer and see where you are at. Work on technique and go from there. Swimming will always be part mental, no matter what. Find out what works for you. If you are training by yourself right now and find yourself waivering, it may be time to join a team. Having others train with you is a huge advantage. You can only control so much... as for the "uncontrolable" things - how much they bother you or affect your training is going to be decided by you. Work hard and have fun.