PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Thinking??

Typhoons Coach
October 20th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I did a cool survey last week with my age-groupers; I asked them all to tell me what they thought about when they swim in practice, and what they think about when they swim in a meet. I got answers ranging from boyfriends/girlfriends, homework, and music.

So, I'm curious....what do all of you think about when you swim?

USMSarah
October 20th, 2008, 10:02 AM
It's really my time to just blank out and only concentrate on swimming. After a long day being home with the kids, it's my time to zone out. Especially if I'm not leading, I can really just enjoy being in the water, thinking about my technique and working hard. I know, it's boring - but I love my time "away". I can get a song stuck inside my head during practice... the last one was from the movie Dan In Real Life, the song the family was singing about Ruthie, pig face.... ;)

matysekj
October 20th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Think? "one, one, one, one, two, two, two..."

2fish&1whale
October 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Stuff I think about while swimming.....
-food or what I'm eating after I'm done swimming
-my legs hurt!
-what I need to discuss with my kids teachers
-ignore the noodler in my lane:mad:
-songs that get stuck in my head
-god, I'm only half way through and ready to quit
-food
-did I just swim through a big loogie????
-I really need to shave my legs!
-I'm almost done!
-What should I make for dinner?
-stories I would like to write, but don't because I have yet to figure out how to swim and write at the same time
-DONE-until the next day when it starts all over again

jim clemmons
October 20th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Oh, man! I could've slept in! No - wait - that's right, gotta stick with my goals.

aquageek
October 20th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I try to not think of anything other than swimming. Seems when I start daydreaming I slow down a lot and run into the lane lines.

Michelina
October 20th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Normally it's the last song I heard in the car on the way to the pool

But things slip in every now and again.. did I forget to lock the door to the house? Is my cell phone in my bag or the car? Did I let the dog out? When do I get paid again? How can I talk my way in to going to Chicago in December for ANOTHER swim meet? Etc.

Mary1912
October 20th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Mostly, I think about my form, my time, what set I'm doing next, will my cap stay on today, how much time I have left until I have to leave, can I stay for just 5 more minutes...

JMiller
October 20th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I'm in a creative mood this morning, so I thought I'd give this thread a try.

A typical swim goes something like this for me.

-Hmmm... the water is colder than I remembered.
-Yuk, my body feels sluggish this morning, right, but that doesn't matter.
-It only matters how I feel at the end of practice.
-Stop thinking about technique, now isn't the right time.
-Okay, warm up is over, I'm feeling a bit better.
-Damn, I love this streamline, I wish I could streamline forever.
-Hmmm... who is that swimmer over there in lane 2?
-Come on, you just messed up the turn. Amateurs could do better.
-Now I'm awake, kick it man, kick it.
-Top speed work, stop thinking.
-That wasn't fast enough, why?
-Ahhh... now I'll tweak the technique... save this memory.
-Press down with the torso, get my hips up, kick harder, hold the top, feel the press, turn it into a push, flowing twist.
-There, good times...
-I'm breathing hard, hearts pounding in my ears, ya, but you've been here before, chillax... This is way better than doing nothing, this means something. No complaints, this is who you are!
-Okay, that's true.
-Just one more, go now!
-Whew... almost my best ever in work-out, sweet.
-Time for warm down, I don't want to leave the water.
-Nothing is better than this, not even apple pie.
-Reflection, cool breeze swim with ease, like leaves on the trees.

Midas
October 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I mostly think about things like "OK, is this 450 or 500?". I also get songs stuck in my head, and I try to listen to some songs I like on the way to the pool so I don't get something in my head I can't stand (mostly children's songs these days thanks to my little ones).

It would be nice to think about other things things while I swim, but then I'd lose count and I hate not knowing where I am in a set (even if I'm not leading). I envy that about runners (at least those not running around a track). Still, there's something to be said for NOT thinking for an hour or so.

Shamboola
October 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
What was the interval again?

Ouch, I just hit a paddle in the next lane on my knuckles.

Good Lord, that lady is fast!

What the hell is that on the bottom of the pool?

Time to belch.

I feel like I am on vacation.

The water looks really beautiful right now.

Thinking of an old Tom Petty song.

Thinking of a new Three Doors Down song.

I am glad my lane buddies are here today.

This is the greatest ting I have ever done for myself and my family.

I am so glad my kids are swimmers.

I'm not as bad as I thought.

my co-workers have no idea that I do this.

Rob

swimshark
October 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Usually either the last song on the radio on the way to the pool or the song that the pool is playing over the speakers.

I also think a lot about my technique and speed (as in I hope so-and-so is not catching my tail)

pwolf66
October 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM
- Kick d$%m you
- Oh look another band-aid
- please let that be the last 200
- stop crossing over with the left arm!!!
- God, I hate breaststroke
- head DOWN
- that has got to be the ugliest suit ever
- yes, the youngsters ARE going on 1:30
- man, I'm tired
- ___________________________, oh we're done?
- I hope I don't clobber someone on fly
- YAY!!! Sprints!!!!
- Oh god, not another distance day
- Why am I leading again?
- How far was that?
- Stop holding your breath
- Roll, Roll, Roll!!!!!
- Man, this pool is shallow

aquageek
October 20th, 2008, 03:49 PM
- Oh god, not another distance day

Loser

pwolf66
October 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Loser

Spoken like a wanna-be-but-can't-handle-it Sprinter

The Fortress
October 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Oh god, not another distance day.

What?! Have you ever actually done one of those?! :rofl:

pwolf66
October 20th, 2008, 04:16 PM
What?! Have you ever actually done one of those?! :rofl:

Ooooooookay. This seems to be a concerted attack.

swim25
October 20th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Oh cool half way done with this set and only 14 more 100's to go.
I gotta hit this turn, I gotta hit this turn, well I f%@&ed that turn up.
Hmmm my arms don't want to move anymore.
Why is coach staring at me?
I think I can... I think I can... I think I can...
This is the best morning ever... except for that other morning were I felt really fast and in control of my swimming but this morning is great too.
As I get into the pool: I hate swimming!
As I get out of the pool: I love swimming!

Usually it depends on the day, some days I am thinking about school other days I am thinking about missing my girlfriend, other days I am really focused on swimming.

Typhoons Coach
October 20th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'm in a creative mood this morning, so I thought I'd give this thread a try.

A typical swim goes something like this for me.

-Hmmm... the water is colder than I remembered.
-Yuk, my body feels sluggish this morning, right, but that doesn't matter.
-It only matters how I feel at the end of practice.
-Stop thinking about technique, now isn't the right time.
-Okay, warm up is over, I'm feeling a bit better.
-Damn, I love this streamline, I wish I could streamline forever.
-Hmmm... who is that swimmer over there in lane 2?
-Come on, you just messed up the turn. Amateurs could do better.
-Now I'm awake, kick it man, kick it.
-Top speed work, stop thinking.
-That wasn't fast enough, why?
-Ahhh... now I'll tweak the technique... save this memory.
-Press down with the torso, get my hips up, kick harder, hold the top, feel the press, turn it into a push, flowing twist.
-There, good times...
-I'm breathing hard, hearts pounding in my ears, ya, but you've been here before, chillax... This is way better than doing nothing, this means something. No complaints, this is who you are!
-Okay, that's true.
-Just one more, go now!
-Whew... almost my best ever in work-out, sweet.
-Time for warm down, I don't want to leave the water.
-Nothing is better than this, not even apple pie.
-Reflection, cool breeze swim with ease, like leaves on the trees.

This about sums it up for me as well....minus the "I don't want to leave the water" mainly because there are members always trying to pick my brain on why the pool seems colder, why I was doing something a certain way, etc, etc...

Doug Adamavich
October 20th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Some selected thoughts:

*What's for dinner tonight?
*High elbows
*Oh cool, an F/A-18
*Should have worn my tinted goggles...
*The girl in lane six is HOT!!!
*Was that 400 or 450?
*THAT'S IT, I know what caused the error!
*ahhhh, that will give me extra flotation for a bit
*Was that build or negative split?
*Hmmm, wonder what the next set will be
*<name deleted> should get outta the way!!!
*Any number of songs...

My mind is active when doing long distance sets and it is easy for me to zone out. Rather do shorter more intense stuff that keeps me focused.

Yes, my mind is twisted.

isobel
October 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Seems like most folks have written about what they think when they are at practice. I can't figure out what to think when I race. I *know* I'm supposed to think something when I'm standing on the blocks before the 800 or 1000 or 400 IM but I have no idea what. Usually it's "At least it will be quiet when I'm finally in the water" or "WooHoo I'll have a lane to myself," but I don't have a song and my strategy of keeping it steady, not taking it out too fast, usually fails in my body (i.e., it still hurts), even if I do it in my swim. That's probably why they call it a race, however.

My best race thought most recently was "This sure hurts (400 free); oh well, so it does, look at those tiles on the bottom, keep swimming." That helped. I know I am not supposed to curse swimming but that is sometimes what happens during races. I think I must get tense at races because I don't swim all that much faster than at practice, yet it usually hurts a lot more. I've never had a "zone" race (no pain, just flow); keep waiting for one of those!

FlyQueen
October 20th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Pain free races? Heck I swim 50s and I don't know what those are ... hmmm ...

My mind is all over the place ... sometimes I'm thinking:

Crap I still have to do x, y, and z before tomorrow
I'm so hungry
Darn it! Catch xxx!
KICK!

I focus on the swim and my stroke too and just trying to feel it. My mind wanders from songs to solving the world's problems to technique to F! I have a meet coming up and I'm dying doing this set to I hate breaststroke to any number of things.

What I think during racing is totally different. I honestly no longer really think I just go. That's actually my mantra "don't think just go." It probably doesn't work for distance races but for my 50s and 100s it's great. Actually I can use that in the 200 free that I do once in a blue moon, too.

ourswimmer
October 20th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I keep a mental checklist of birds that I have identified while swimming. It has two subparts: Birds that I have seen from the pool (usually while backstroking) and birds that I have seen in open water. I think the two sub-lists are about equal in length. I suspect that my coach has a similar mental checklist of birds he has seen while on deck.

Other than the birds I don't think about much while I swim besides my technique, and my pace if I peek at the clock mid-effort, and how far the workout has been.

SwimStud
October 20th, 2008, 09:12 PM

"I hope that a cute chick gets in my lane..."

The Fortress
October 20th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Today I was thinking:

I love my monofin.
I really love my monofin.
I think I'll do a sh*tload of shooters with my monofin today.
No one will get in my lane that way.
Better not put my arms behind my ears like that Stevenson guy.
Why aren't there any monofin races around here?
Maybe I should get the long one.
I'm looking forward to the Sprint Classic
(except for the stupid 25 BR).
I better beat that girlie man.
I hope I don't screw up my starts.
Crap, forgot to practice starts at Mason last Sunday.
What will be my next local meet?
Is there one that doesn't start at 7:00 am?
Will I have to enter a kiddie meet?
I don't think I have any Dolan QTs.
I'm really bummed I can't go to SCM Zones.
I wonder if the IGLA SCM times will ever freakin ever be submitted.
I hope my virus ridden children don't infect me.
Maybe they already have, my throat is sore and scratchy.
Well, if they don't, Jim Thornton will.
Good thing I don't have to do any hard sets this week.
I really should do a broken 100 fly, but I don't feel up to it.
OK, I've screwed around enough, now time to sprint.
I love 25s.
I really love 25s.

SwimStud
October 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I

"I hope I'm not as OCD as Fortress..."

Today I was thinking:
...I hope my virus ridden children don't infect me...Well, if they don't, Jim Thornton will...

Fort, are you sure you want to go with that?

The Fortress
October 20th, 2008, 09:42 PM
"I hope I'm not as OCD as Fortress..."

And I didn't even share my thoughts about backstroke with you ...

I've just been fretting about my upcoming meets. Can't go to SCM Zones or NE SCM Champs this year. Not sure what fits my schedule before Albatross. I'm not a fan of the MD series because I'm an unabashed pool snob.

jim thornton
October 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Plenty of people carry equine viruses. Don't look at me if Leslie gets infected.

JMiller
October 21st, 2008, 01:24 AM
Right on, Andy (the other andy), I checked out your web page, looks pretty good. I wish you all the best with your career, and thanks for posting free advice on the forums. If you'd care to post a few work-outs on "Fun and Fast" thread, that would be cool.
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=9092

This about sums it up for me as well....minus the "I don't want to leave the water" mainly because there are members always trying to pick my brain on why the pool seems colder, why I was doing something a certain way, etc, etc...

The water seems colder when you just wake up... Although, if it is a winter day and you walked to the pool in the afternoon, then the water seems warmer.

~Funny, how it's all about perception~

isobel
October 21st, 2008, 01:52 AM
OK. During workout I am (a) so happy to be there and (b) enjoy trying to keep up with feet far ahead of me and (c) I count a lot and (d) I don't think about anything that is bothering me because there is no room because I'm counting and trying to make the intervals.

Afterward, in the locker room, it is a well-known phenomenon that I become rather endorphin-esque and talk very fast about many things that make everyone laugh. I feel part of mainstream life and very witty and unique and strong and proud that I swam hard. The witty funny fast talk sometimes perplexes new people, but of those who know me well, they expect it and find it very amusing. I enjoy these moments immensely. Then I usually stop at a market on the way home and buy a small (tart-size) chocolate cream pie and defeat any weight-loss purposes for swimming. I have crushes on swimmers but so far they have not come to fruition. I keep hoping. But I only think about them after and before practice, not during.

Leonard Jansen
October 21st, 2008, 07:27 AM
From yesterday's 1 hour steady, easy swim:
Technique - Having come to swimming from racewalking, I obsess about technique, which is typical of racewalkers.
Mathematics - Especially prime numbers and how they relate to whatever distance/time I am currently at in the workout. Weird, but true.
The booklet I'm writing.
Cosmology - a hobby of mine. Yesterday was "puzzling over gravity" day.
Raptors - I went to Hawk Mountain ( http://www.hawkmountain.org/ ) this weekend to watch raptors fly over on their migration paths.
Figuring out how to fix the shutoff valve in the toilet.
How to replace the serpentine belt in the 2001 Saturn.
How to fix the one stall door in the barn.
My (IDIOT) friend who recently ate two death cap mushrooms and nearly died - he may yet need a liver transplant.
Owls - Wondering if it's possible to attract more owls to the property.
How to keep raccoons out of the composter. (Mission Impossible - the raccoons ALWAYS win in the end. In the words of Dave Barry: "If we ever get SERIOUS about the space program, all we need to do is find a way to convince raccoons that there is food on Jupiter. They'll find a way to get there.")
How to keep deer hunters off the property. (land mines)
Poisonous snakes of Australia.
The upcoming presidential election. (Speaking of snakes.)

-LBJ

laineybug
October 21st, 2008, 08:53 AM
last night's best rumination: Why does asperagus make pee stink? :laugh2::rofl:

swimmieAvsFan
October 21st, 2008, 10:17 AM
last night's best rumination: Why does asparagus make pee stink? :laugh2::rofl:

hehehe. that's a great (albeit random) thought!

if you'll excuse the science geek in me (i've got a degree in biochemistry), i can tell you why...

there are some sulfur-containing amino acids in asparagus that, when metabolized, turn into some really rotten smelling compounds (some of which are also in cabbage). not everyone can smell the metabolized compounds, but i guess you have the genes that allow you to smell it! lucky you ;)

Typhoons Coach
October 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM
*The girl in lane six is HOT!!!

There was a rendition of this with one of my older age group swimmers, "I hope that <deleted name> comes to practice today; where is <deleted name>?", etc, etc, etc. I asked the targeted swimmer later on what their thoughts were, and it appeared that there was a mutual love connection going on....

Hmmm....new version of a reality show? I hope not!

Typhoons Coach
October 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM
"I hope that a cute chick gets in my lane..."

Haha! Seems to be a common theme!

laineybug
October 21st, 2008, 10:28 AM
there are some sulfur-containing amino acids in asparagus that, when metabolized, turn into some really rotten smelling compounds (some of which are also in cabbage). not everyone can smell the metabolized compounds, but i guess you have the genes that allow you to smell it! lucky you ;)

Thank you. I have one less thing to think about now!:bouncing:

Lainey

Typhoons Coach
October 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
From yesterday's 1 hour steady, easy swim:
Technique - Having come to swimming from racewalking, I obsess about technique, which is typical of racewalkers.
Mathematics - Especially prime numbers and how they relate to whatever distance/time I am currently at in the workout. Weird, but true.
The booklet I'm writing.
Raptors - I went to Hawk Mountain ( http://www.hawkmountain.org/ ) this weekend to watch raptors fly over on their migration paths.
Figuring out how to fix the shutoff valve in the toilet.
How to replace the serpentine belt in the 2001 Saturn.
How to fix the one stall door in the barn.
My (IDIOT) friend who recently ate two death cap mushrooms and nearly died - he may yet need a liver transplant.
Owls - Wondering if it's possible to attract more owls to the property.
How to keep raccoons out of the composter. (Mission Impossible - the raccoons ALWAYS win in the end. In the words of Dave Barry: "If we ever get SERIOUS about the space program, all we need to do is find a way to convince raccoons that there is food on Jupiter. They'll find a way to get there.")
How to keep deer hunters off the property. (land mines)
Poisonous snakes of Australia.
The upcoming presidential election. (Speaking of snakes.)

-LBJ

All that in one hour!!?! You are a busy busy swimmer!:bouncing:

Michelina
October 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
In practice last night, I was thinking about what I think about in races due to this thread. And it kinda goes like this.

Don't fall start
Don't be the last off the blocks like Hulk
(if a sprint race)... remember to kick!
(if a distance race)... now take it out nice and easy.. no piano falling again!
1-2-3 breath
1-2-3 breath
1-2-3 breath, etc, etc, etc.
Okay, now lets not miss the wall
Kick! 1-2-3 breath
1-2-3 breath
1-2-3 breath
1-2-3 breath, etc, etc, etc.
Over and over again...
On the last lap... bring it home... kick kick kick!!! (and don't die!)

Leonard Jansen
October 21st, 2008, 11:13 AM
All that in one hour!!?! You are a busy busy swimmer!:bouncing:

Sometime I'll try to remember what I think about in a three hour swim and post that. It gets really weird, especially in the last hour as my glycogen levels start to drop.

-LBJ

poolraat
October 21st, 2008, 11:17 AM
......Don't be the last off the blocks like Hulk

:lmao:

Michelina
October 21st, 2008, 11:29 AM
:lmao:

I just hope Big Tree Fall Hard does not squash me the next time he sees me. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

pwolf66
October 21st, 2008, 11:30 AM
Don't be the last off the blocks like Hulk

HEY!!!!!

Sure I may be last off the blocks but I'm the first to the 15m mark.

Guess I need to come to Chitown and show off my new and improved start :thhbbb:

Michelina
October 21st, 2008, 11:33 AM
HEY!!!!!

Sure I may be last off the blocks but I'm the first to the 15m mark.

Guess I need to come to Chitown and show off my new and improved start :thhbbb:

:duel:I guess we could battle it out to see who could get off the blocks the fastest. But you are very right, that you are the first to the 15 meter mark.

I was making a little funny due to the fact that we talked about our RT A LOT at nationals... and on my 50 free, I really thought that up on the blocks. Funny what sticks in your head.

pwolf66
October 21st, 2008, 11:37 AM
:duel:I guess we could battle it out to see who could get off the blocks the fastest. But you are very right, that you are the first to the 15 meter mark.

I was making a little funny due to the fact that we talked about our RT A LOT at nationals... and on my 50 free, I really thought that up on the blocks. Funny what sticks in your head.

Well, I was a stellar .90 RT in my 50 so there. The picture that Swimshark took really tells the story.

The Fortress
October 21st, 2008, 11:44 AM
Don't be the last off the blocks like Hulk.

When you're doing so many distance sets, it's hard to summon the energy to explode off those blocks. :bolt:

Michelina
October 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM
When you're doing so many distance sets, it's hard to summon the energy to explode off those blocks. :bolt:
:banana:

pwolf66
October 21st, 2008, 11:46 AM
I feel like I should complain to the ASPCA given the clubbing that I am receiving.

gull
October 21st, 2008, 11:47 AM
-can't wait to wear my Big Shoulders tee shirt that finally arrived

-swim away from the light

-I hope somebody (besides me) knows how to use the AED

JMiller
October 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM
The booklet I'm writing.

I spend a good amount of time thinking about these subjects also. You know, I read a couple books that really altered my perception(s), and this has made me wonder even more about subjects like gravity. "Strange Matters", and "Non-Zero" these are two books that really make me think.

In "Strange Matters" it is a very complex book, and it looks at all the "strange" things in science. You can look at the title a few ways, like, 'strange does matter', or, 'these matters are strange', or, 'matter has a strange composition in reality'.

Either way, it's all about perception and interpretation of the data. This book points out some of the strange nuances of science and asks some pretty good questions.

There are two in particular that I'd like to discuss. One is gravity, and the other is the background "noise" that science has to "cancel out" in order for their equations to work properly.

As far as gravity, it seems we really don't know why there is a constant "force" holding us to the ground. There are many theories, but none of them properly explains the complete spectrum of information.

I have a theory about this. Does it not make reasonable sense that the speed of the earth flying through space could be the cause. Anything that large, moving that fast, would cause smaller objects to get sucked into the electromagnetic vortex, and we experience gravity.

Also, the "noise" that scientists cancel out. Isn't that the frequency of the sub-atomic "field" emanating from the energetic side of the equation? Which is why it permeates everything, everywhere. Is there a better way to tune into this "noise"?

2fish&1whale
October 21st, 2008, 12:07 PM
hehehe. that's a great (albeit random) thought!

if you'll excuse the science geek in me (i've got a degree in biochemistry), i can tell you why...

So do cauliflower/brusselsprouts-one more reason my kids don't care for it.......

2fish&1whale
October 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM
I spend a good amount of time thinking about these subjects also. You know, I read a couple books that really altered my perception(s), and this has made me wonder even more about subjects like gravity. "Strange Matters", and "Non-Zero" these are two books that really make me think.

In "Strange Matters" it is a very complex book, and it looks at all the "strange" things in science. You can look at the title a few ways, like, 'strange does matter', or, 'these matters are strange', or, 'matter has a strange composition in reality'.

Either way, it's all about perception and interpretation of the data. This book points out some of the strange nuances of science and asks some pretty good questions.

There are two in particular that I'd like to discuss. One is gravity, and the other is the background "noise" that science has to "cancel out" in order for their equations to work properly.

As far as gravity, it seems we really don't know why there is a constant "force" holding us to the ground. There are many theories, but none of them properly explains the complete spectrum of information.

I have a theory about this. Does it not make reasonable sense that the speed of the earth flying through space could be the cause. Anything that large, moving that fast, would cause smaller objects to get sucked into the electromagnetic vortex, and we experience gravity.

Also, the "noise" that scientists cancel out. Isn't that the frequency of the sub-atomic "field" emanating from the energetic side of the equation? Which is why it permeates everything, everywhere. Is there a better way to tune into this "noise"?
You think too much!
Just reading that made my brain hurt.......

JMiller
October 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM
You think too much!
Just reading that made my brain hurt.......

Oh, right, sorry... (the most important three words to know in a relationship)
So what does it mean if you don't notice any changes when you eat asparagus?

imspoiled
October 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM
When racing anything over 100, somewhere around the 250 mark I start thinking,
"Why the h**l do I keep signing up to swim this crap?
If you'd just sign up for 50s you'd be done already!"

When swimming 100-200 distances, I'm thinking (while having an asthma attack),
"What was I thinking?
This hurts! I'm not a sprinter!
You like long controlled swims,
not this crap that makes your whole body hurt."

swimmieAvsFan
October 21st, 2008, 01:08 PM
...So what does it mean if you don't notice any changes when you eat asparagus?

most likely that you don't have the genes for being able to detect the smell. only about 50% of the population can actually smell it...

Typhoons Coach
October 21st, 2008, 01:29 PM
When racing anything over 100, somewhere around the 250 mark I start thinking,
"Why the h**l do I keep signing up to swim this crap?
If you'd just sign up for 50s you'd be done already!"

When swimming 100-200 distances, I'm thinking (while having an asthma attack),
"What was I thinking?
This hurts! I'm not a sprinter!
You like long controlled swims,
not this crap that makes your whole body hurt."

:lmao: Absolutely outstanding! I think the exact same thing when I pace my swimmers! "Why in the good he** did I write this set?", "How can I modify it to make it seem like I am not slacking off?", etc!

Leonard Jansen
October 21st, 2008, 01:31 PM

The disparity of gravity at the macro level (Einstein's General Theory of Relativity) and gravity at the micro level (quantum and/or particle) was what I was puzzling over.

Your thought is interesting regarding a vortex. but in relativistic terms, any object can be thought of as non-moving despite any relative motion as compared to another object. Your thought sounds very like the old idea of an "aether" that was thought to be everywhere (and later disproven). Still, I will definately take that to the pool with me for the next hour swim.

I need to get the two books you mention from interlibrary loan.

If you've not read it before, you might like "The Elegant Universe." The author is a bit too gung-ho on string theory for me, but it's a wonderful book. As a counterpoint to that, Lisa Randall's "Warped Passages" presents many of the same ideas, but from the standard (particle) model point of view.

Apropos of nothing, today's main thought while swimming was how to take an old lawnmower apart and make a leaf mulcher out of it. We have LOTS of leaves.

-LBJ

SwimStud
October 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM
most likely that you don't have the genes for being able to detect the smell. only about 50% of the population can actually smell it...

I smell it when I pee after eating asparagus ...does that count?

Jazz Hands
October 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM
I am almost always thinking about technique points.

Freestyle
- Kicking power and tempo
- Hold streamline
- When do I break out?
- Extend in front
- High elbows, pull and recovery
- Clean hand entry
- Head position
- Grip the water
- When to breathe?
- What arm to finish with?

Butterfly
- Hand width at entry
- Low chin to breathe
- Don't splash
- Don't move vertically
- Relax
- Butterfly is freaking awesome

Breaststroke
- What the hell is going on?

Big AL
October 21st, 2008, 07:10 PM
A few things......

1) This doesn't hurt, this doesn't hurt, this doesn't hurt........
2) Almost done... push it, almost done... push it, almost done... push it.......
3) After this workout, what do I deserve to eat? ... a snack or a meal?

Rinse and repeat.

boggs
October 21st, 2008, 07:14 PM
I'm thinking "sixteen, sixteen, sixteen, seventeen, seventeen, seventeen. Oh wait, is this my second lap I'm counting as seventeen? Or did I skip sixteen?"

JMiller
October 22nd, 2008, 07:23 AM
The disparity of gravity at the macro level (Einstein's General Theory of Relativity) and gravity at the micro level (quantum and/or particle) was what I was puzzling over.

Right, it's interesting how the laws of physics adapt, depending on the size of the object. As you probably know, each atom has an electrical interaction with the sub-atomic field, which translates into basic information exchange. It's like everything is "projected" into reality through an energetic "mirror", or an inverted electromagnetic vortex.

This all comes down to wave-lengths, and frequencies of each particular object. Even the waves of light energy, (what you see with your eyes) this a very small part of the entire spectrum.

Trying to understand electromagnetic waves is the key to enlightenment. Think of your brain as a bundle of nerve fibre, impulses are constantly running through these biological wires, and this creates an electro-magnet. In an enlightened state, the polarity of your personal electromagnetic vortex can be altered by conscious choice. (Or, just go for a swim.):bliss:

Typhoons Coach
October 22nd, 2008, 08:17 AM
I am almost always thinking about technique points.

Freestyle
- Kicking power and tempo
- Hold streamline
- When do I break out?
- Extend in front
- High elbows, pull and recovery
- Clean hand entry
- Head position
- Grip the water
- When to breathe?
- What arm to finish with?

Butterfly
- Hand width at entry
- Low chin to breathe
- Don't splash
- Don't move vertically
- Relax
- Butterfly is freaking awesome

Breaststroke
- What the hell is going on?

So you are a mental swimmer (you think through your stroke)?

Typhoons Coach
October 22nd, 2008, 08:18 AM
A few things......

1) This doesn't hurt, this doesn't hurt, this doesn't hurt........
2) Almost done... push it, almost done... push it, almost done... push it.......
3) After this workout, what do I deserve to eat? ... a snack or a meal?

Rinse and repeat.

LOL....I can see a lot of my swimmers aying all of those!!

USMSarah
October 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Swimming at meets?

"What was I thinking when I signed up for this 200?"

FlyQueen
October 22nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
Swimming at meets?

"What was I thinking when I signed up for this 200?"

I am 110% convinced that gremlins take over my body when signing up for a meet. Sometimes they make me sign up for events that are far too long (200s). Sometimes they make me sign up for back to back events or anything involving evil stroke.

The gremlins that took over my body for the Indy meet this weekend were particularly mean signing me up for a 200 free AND a 400 free as well as a 200 IM.

pwolf66
October 22nd, 2008, 04:40 PM
The gremlins that took over my body for the Indy meet this weekend were particularly mean signing me up for a 200 free AND a 400 free as well as a 200 IM.

What WERE you THINKING!??!??!??!

Then again, I'm involved in a 3 way gridge while swimming 100 Fly for only the 2nd time IN TWENTY YEARS!!!!!!!

FlyQueen
October 22nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
What WERE you THINKING!??!??!??!

Then again, I'm involved in a 3 way gridge while swimming 100 Fly for only the 2nd time IN TWENTY YEARS!!!!!!!

Uhhh ... read the post, I blame the gremlins. I certainly wouldn't do that to myself. Which I assure you I will be thinking through many races this weekend.

ddunbar
October 22nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Oxygen must have Oxygen

FlyQueen
October 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Oxygen must have Oxygen

:lolup:

Definitely think this!

poolraat
October 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
While swimming this morning I had a thought (yes it does occur once in a while) and was thinking I should comment on this thread about it but now I can't remember what it was.

For those of you that swim during lap swim or other open swim hours, do you ever watch other swimmers and analyze what they doing and how they could improve?

The Fortress
October 22nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
For those of you that swim during lap swim or other open swim hours, do you ever watch other swimmers and analyze what they doing and how they could improve?

Almost never. Waste of time. Although it's difficult not to notice that almost all of them cross over on freestyle and have no kick.

Hulk, we are not in a 3-way. It's just a test of whether you're girly or manly depending on whether your 50 fly time is closer to Chris' or mine. I will stick by my offer of gridging the closeness of 100 fly splits though. I think my last effort was the same as yours.

isobel
October 23rd, 2008, 09:39 AM
I am 110% convinced that gremlins take over my body when signing up for a meet. Sometimes they make me sign up for events that are far too long (200s). Sometimes they make me sign up for back to back events or anything involving evil stroke.

Please post what you were thinking, if you remember. I'd like a step-by-step memoir. 1. The blocks. 2. The swims. 3. Various stages of the swims. Especially the 400 free. (Please?)

No need to say what you were thinking when it is all over, although that would be interesting too. I have a habit of ducking my head under the water when I'm through to take a moment to appreciate the fact that I finished.:wine:

Have fun! Swim fast! isobel

some_girl
October 23rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Please post what you were thinking, if you remember. I'd like a step-by-step memoir. 1. The blocks. 2. The swims. 3. Various stages of the swims. Especially the 400 free. (Please?)

My 4 free goes something like this:

Signing up for the meet: I love the 400. So glad it's meters time again. Whee!

Week before the meet: Why do I do this? What kind of crazy sign-up amnesia do I have?

The blocks: Oh, here I am again. Well only way out is through.

The first 100: What the f***?! Why? This is just going to hurt. I should stop swimming this stupid race. Oh, shut up brain. Just get into the second hundred; then you'll be fine.

The second 100: Ah, right, this is why I do this. Focus. Relax. Good pull. Set up your turn right.

Third 100: Why is that girl still right next to me? Push, push, pass that girl over there. Haha, suckers, guess you shouldn't have gone out so fast.

Last 100: All right this is it. Burn the tank.

Of course I have a bad habit of not going out fast enough. Wonder why?

mattson
October 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
Right, it's interesting how the laws of physics adapt, depending on the size of the object. As you probably know, each atom has an electrical interaction with the sub-atomic field, which translates into basic information exchange. It's like everything is "projected" into reality through an energetic "mirror", or an inverted electromagnetic vortex.

I don't know what this means.
And I work at Fermilab.

I guess I'll have to think about it the next time I go swimming. :D

JMiller
October 23rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Please post what you were thinking, if you remember. I'd like a step-by-step memoir. 1. The blocks. 2. The swims. 3. Various stages of the swims.

Just for fun... At the BC provinicals when I broke the Canadian records in 100 IM and 100 free.
SCM

-Hmmm.. What should I have for breakfast?
-Yogurt, bannana, granola...
-The drive to the pool seems nice enough.
-Ah, the memories, how many times have I raced?
-Okay, just relax in the warm-up...
-You've already trained the body, it will be ready...
-Feel the stretch... the flow...
-I wonder if anyone will care that I entered really slow
in the 100 IM. The 100 free is right after, I wanted as
much rest as possible.
-It's been over 10 years since I swam two like that.
-My heat is starting, I better get on the blocks.
-That's the sound, go, fly smooth and fast.
-Work the turn, underwater, go, finish strong.
-back to breastroke, perfect, just like I've trained.
-This is the best my breastroke has ever felt...
-Okay, last length, give it everything.
-59.65, right on, my best time...
-time for warm-down
-Hmmm... I'm not really tired at all...
-I guess the training has worked...
-The 100 free is the one I really want though.
-I'd better get ready.
-Whoa, there's some tall people in this final heat.
-They're all wearing full body suits, maybe I should've bought one.
-Okay, I'm ready...
-That was a good start, arms feel great.
-Who's that person in lane 2, he's staying with me.
-Okay, it's a real race, 3rd 25, kick, keep it long.
-I'm ahead on the turn, okay, keep the torso down...
-Right on, people are cheering.
-Whoa, that's not bad, my 9th fastest of my entire career.

ALM
October 23rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
Hulk, we are not in a 3-way.

Wow, your meets sound a lot more interesting than ours...

Syd
October 24th, 2008, 12:38 AM
J
-Right on, people are cheering.
-Whoa, that's not bad, my 9th fastest of my entire career.

Way to go Jonathan! Was that the one you posted the video of?

david.margrave
October 24th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I think about how much of the current rep I have completed, how much is remaining, breathing pattern, and technique.

JMiller
October 24th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Way to go Jonathan! Was that the one you posted the video of?

Thanks Syd... yes, that was the video.

SuperFlyGal
October 25th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Lately, I have been thinking, do they ever clean this pool? :drown:

imspoiled
October 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM
This past weekend,
During the 1500: "Mark Gill is a sandbagging sandbagger!" :duel:

During the 100 back: "Swimming the 1500 right before the 100 back is not a good idea."

Michelina
October 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Hi I'm Jim

pwolf66
October 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM
As I pushed off the wall on the last 25 of the 100 Fly, in order.

"Please God kill me now"
"Wow, my arms ARE only 2 inches long"
"Kick!!!!"
"Don't throw up"
"Please let that be the wall"

Dennis Tesch
October 27th, 2008, 04:51 PM
What a great question.. I'm still laughing about many of the replies on this thread....

Here is what I think about...

* One tile, two tiles....
* What is in that coffee I just drank? My heart is racing....:coffee:
* All things I've got to do that day
* Wow...my shoulder isn't hurtin....damn it's hurting again!!:censor:
* I went to bed at 11 pm, got woke up at 2 am by my daughter, in the water at 5:30 am, I know I'm going to fall asleep at my desk on 11 am....
* Was that length 6 or 8??
* What is that on the bottom and hair ball or a??????
* OMG I am hungry....
* Why do people do water aerobics?
* On good days I have only music in my head.....
* When will there be a young kid who will join our team and lead this lane... I am so tired of leading.
* What an idiot coach... do he/she think I'm on an age group team?
* How can I make my lane mate pissed off -mmm maybe I'll reduce the interval...
* 200 f'n fly... no way...

Hope you enjoyed them!!

Leonard Jansen
October 28th, 2008, 07:10 AM
1) I used the time to figure out how to turn the motor from a broken electric weedwhacker, some 1/2 inch plywood and some 1x3 firring strips into a portable leaf mulcher. I gave up on the idea of using the old lawn mower engine because I didn't feel like taking the time/effort to fix it.
2) Need to get Elsa (the barn cat) some Frontline tick drops.
3) Trying to figure out how to fix two of the wheelbarrows at the barn and not have to spend $1OO+ for two new ones.
4) Thinking about which races to do next OW season.
5) Wondering how my friend Sherry gets her pizza crust dough so perfect.

-LBJ

FlyQueen
October 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM
At the 100m mark in the 200 free this weekend - "crap, you can only take it out like that if you really train." at the 115m mark "@*& this is going to suck"

After the 50 fly during the 200m IM "that was probably a bit too fast." "wow I'm only on backstroke and I have no air and no legs." "NEVER AGAIN" "huh, am I am making forward progress on this breaststroke leg?" "NEVER AGAIN!!!!" "why aren't my legs working?" "NEVER AGAIN"

Rykno
October 28th, 2008, 08:45 AM
when we have practice during open swim....I like to watch them swim...and sometimes think
** what kind of kick is that?
** he/she could be so much faster if they just did _____
** how far can I swim before he/she swims a 50?

when swimming 25-50m fly
**why in gods name did I sign up for the 400 IM?!?!

Typhoons Coach
October 28th, 2008, 10:32 PM
As I pushed off the wall on the last 25 of the 100 Fly, in order.

"Please God kill me now"
"Wow, my arms ARE only 2 inches long"
"Kick!!!!"
"Don't throw up"
"Please let that be the wall"

Absolutely hilarious!! I'm glad it's not just me saying that stuff!

DWIGHT CAMPBELL
October 28th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Well once again the pool is all mine.
Hello, life gaurd, not often you get to see a Salt Water Mammal as in whale swimming in fresh water.
I feel like crap today.
Wow, I think my second descending set will be faster than my first.
That was grrrreat, i sure am glad I came.
Well, Well, Well here come the age groupers, I'll have to move over to the outside.
Impressive, college boy you blew out 200 yds and got out-I'm sooo impressed.
Just wait 6 months and less 30 lbs and I'll wax you ass after 3000 yards to your 200 and I'll show you what this old man can do. I SHALL OVERCOME PAIN TO BREAK THROUGH TO GLORY.
I LOVE THIS SPORT - WISH THAT WAS MY LOT IN LIFE - TO RACE

Typhoons Coach
October 29th, 2008, 01:21 PM
During this morning's practice that I wrote (which was all freestyle), I was thinking, "why in the name of the swimming gods did I put a this last set in here? I don't want to swim this, but I can't stop because I would look like a wimp compared to my swimmers....keep going"

Leonard Jansen
October 30th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Not quite about thinking WHEN swimming, but thinking about swimming....
On Tuesday morning I was taken from work to the ER of the local hospital with staggering pain in the lower right front of my torso. They initially thought it was my appendix or a blockage, but it was actually a kidney stone. When they were still talking about possible surgery, I kept asking how long surgery would keep me from swimming. The doctor told me I was the first patient he ever had who was more worried about swimming than possible surgery. However, it (along with two shots of morpheine (sp?), one shot of toredol (sp?) and one shot of something that began with a "d" and left me flying) did get me through the ordeal until it passed. (I also told Deb that if it was something serious and required surgery, the FIRST thing she had to do was go down to the courthouse and get me an absentee ballot because I have some settling up to do with a certain political party and wanted to make sure I could at least go out with a middle finger salute in case I died on the operating table.)

I can start back with an easy swim today, however. Yes!

-LBJ

Syd
October 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM
On Tuesday morning I was taken from work to the ER of the local hospital with staggering pain in the lower right front of my torso. They initially thought it was my appendix or a blockage, but it was actually a kidney stone. When they were still talking about possible surgery, I kept asking how long surgery would keep me from swimming. The doctor told me I was the first patient he ever had who was more worried about swimming than possible surgery. However, it (along with two shots of morpheine (sp?), one shot of toredol (sp?) and one shot of something that began with a "d" and left me flying) did get me through the ordeal until it passed. (I also told Deb that if it was something serious and required surgery, the FIRST thing she had to do was go down to the courthouse and get me an absentee ballot because I have some settling up to do with a certain political party and wanted to make sure I could at least go out with a middle finger salute in case I died on the operating table.)

-LBJ

My sympathies to you. Surely you don't have to operate on kidney stones, though. Here, in Taiwan, they break it up with ultrasound (I think it is ultrasound - it is some vibrating source anyway). Once it is broken up into smaller pieces it just passes out in the urine. For really large stones they pass a mechanical device up the urethra and break it up with that then follow it up with the ultrasound treatment. No need to stop swimming for either of those treatments. It really is a nasty thing to have. Hope it gets sorted out soon.

Typhoons Coach
October 30th, 2008, 09:27 AM

-LBJ

I know it's not funny that you went to the ER, but I have to say that I got a good chuckle out of your story! Glad to hear you are back in the pool!