PDA

View Full Version : 2008 TYR Grand Prix Series

Michelina
October 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM
The TYR Grand Prix website has been updated and now includes all three meets in the series. :groovy:

October 25th & 26th - Indianapolis, Indiana
November 16th - Louisville, Kentucky
December 6th & 7th - Chicago, Illinois

www.tyrgrandprix.com (http://www.tyrgrandprix.com/)

:bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss:

mbmg3282
October 25th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Day One of the TYR Grand Prix - Indianapolis has concluded and the meet was fast as expected. Yoshi Oyakawa has moved into the 75-79 age group and already started to rewrite the record book. Today, he broke the FINA 50 Back World Record with a 35.76 slashing 1.12 seconds off the record of Clarke Mitchell.

Kevin Doak is also lighting up the scoreboard. In the same heat as Yoshi, he turned in a 25.83. This is under the USMS record for the age group 25-29 (it should be noted Kevin has been faster already in this age group, but is waiting for record approval).

Backstrokers weren't the only ones making some waves. The 280+ Indy SwimFit relay of David Costill, George Quigley, Mel Goldstein and Marty Mennon absolutely crushed the USMS record in the 800 free relay. The record had stood at 12:31.62 since 1999. That all changed as the Indy SwimFit quartet hit the water. Finishing in a time of 10:35.98, they left no doubt the bar that had been raised.

All total, 47 TYR Grand Prix records were broken. Complete results as well as the pysch sheet and meet program can be found at www.tyrgrandprix.com

Online entry for the Louisville and Chicago legs of the Grand Prix are expected to go live this week.

mbmg3282
October 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Complete results have been posted from the TYR Grand Prix - Indianapolis. The next stop on the Grand Prix is Louisville on November 16. Go to www.tyrgrandprix.com for more information.

Day Two picked up where we left off the day before with another World Record. 75 year old Yoshi Oyakawa broke the existing record in the 100 back in a time of 1:20.25. His time took almost 4 seconds off the national record and 2 seconds off the World Record (1:25.13 and 1:21.78 respectively).

All total, there were 2 World, 4 USMS and 95 TYR Grand Prix records broken this weekend.

imspoiled
October 27th, 2008, 01:53 PM
The Indy meet was a blast! The host did a great job, the pool is fantastic, and the company supurb. I highly recommend, and hope to make it back next year!:bliss:

The Fortress
October 27th, 2008, 02:19 PM
The TYR Grand Prix website has been updated and now includes all three meets in the series. :groovy:

October 25th & 26th - Indianapolis, Indiana
November 16th - Louisville, Kentucky
December 6th & 7th - Chicago, Illinois

www.tyrgrandprix.com (http://www.tyrgrandprix.com/)

:bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss:

Mark, are these dates pretty much set in stone every year?

Michelina
October 27th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone in Indy! :woot:

The meet was run without a hitch... and a bit on the fast side. We were done and out having yummy pasta on Saturday in no time.

Thanks to all who made it to the meet. It would not have been the same with out you. Hope to see you all in Chicago!:wiggle:

pwolf66
October 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I'm leaving, on a jet plane......

See ya folks in December. Now to figure out if I'm gonna swim the 200 IM and 200 Free or not?

Hmm.

imspoiled
October 27th, 2008, 03:54 PM

See ya folks in December. Now to figure out if I'm gonna swim the 200 IM and 200 Free or not?

Hmm.

Yes and Yes. Unless you want to try out the 800 or something.

pwolf66
October 27th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Yes and Yes. Unless you want to try out the 800 or something.

Ha, 800 <snort> that's a good one!!!! hahahahahaha

I'm just worried about how much time between events.

Tentative lineup:
Sat: 200 IM, 50 Fly, 100 IM, 100 Free
Sun: 200 Free (or 50 back), 50 Free, 100 Fly

While I would like to swim the IMs and the 200 Free, I do not want to risk screwing up my core 4.

imspoiled
October 27th, 2008, 04:23 PM

Tentative lineup:

While I would like to swim the IMs and the 200 Free, I do not want to risk screwing up my core 4.

Sat looks ok, but I would pick one or the other of 200 free/50back. We had some time, but not tons of time between events last weekend. Although, the 200/50 combo is a bit easier to take than the 50/200.

FlyQueen
October 27th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Ha, 800 <snort> that's a good one!!!! hahahahahaha

Tentative lineup:

I swam the 200 IM at Indy and I vowed during the race and certainly after that if I didn't die while swimming it that I would never swim it again and I plan to stick to that plan other than that day one looks fab as does day 2.

mbmg3282
October 27th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Glad folks had fun. The dates for the three meets are more or less definite. You can count on the Indianapolis meet to be at the end of October. The Louisville meet will be in early to mid November (typically 2-day, this year a college meet got in the way). The Chicago meet will always be the first weekend in December at the University of Chicago.

We are also putting a proposal together to expand the series in 2009. Not sure yet how that will go.

Paul, glad to hear you are coming to Chicago. I might have to train a bit more now.

The Fortress
October 27th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Glad folks had fun. The dates for the three meets are more or less definite. You can count on the Indianapolis meet to be at the end of October. The Louisville meet will be in early to mid November (typically 2-day, this year a college meet got in the way). The Chicago meet will always be the first weekend in December at the University of Chicago.

I may have to skip the Sprint Classic next year (although I would feel bad) and go to Indy then. I would really like to come to one of these meets!

FlyQueen
October 27th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I may have to skip the Sprint Classic next year (although I would feel bad) and go to Indy then. I would really like to come to one of these meets!

Indy seems to always be the last weekend in October.

Michelina
October 27th, 2008, 07:12 PM

Hmm.

:applaud:

Yeah! Glad you have come to the dark side! We will have the most fun!

:bliss:

FlyQueen
October 27th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Paul, glad to hear you are coming to Chicago. I might have to train a bit more now.

Seriously? What twice one week and once another. For the three weeks going into Louisville my plan is to swim twice a week, thereby doubling what I did going into Indy.

pwolf66
October 27th, 2008, 10:00 PM

Good, make it more interesting for when I crush you. I'm still smarting over LCM Nats and relish the thought of leaving you :drown: in my wake.

I'm definately in the 50/100 of Free and Fly. Might do the 200 IM and Free. Am debating the 100 IM, not sure about how much recovery time I would have between the 50 Fly, 100 Im and 100 Free.

The Fortress
October 27th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Not sure about how much recovery time I would have between the 50 Fly, 100 Im and 100 Free.

Just suck it up! :D: rofl:

pwolf66
October 27th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Just suck it up! :D: rofl:

Uh-huh.

tjrpatt
October 27th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone in Indy! :woot:

The meet was run without a hitch... and a bit on the fast side. We were done and out having yummy pasta on Saturday in no time.

Thanks to all who made it to the meet. It would not have been the same with out you. Hope to see you all in Chicago!:wiggle:

Good job! Your 800 free time was around your time at LCM Zones. You did some good times in Indy.

I really need to do these meets next year. I don't have the funds or the miles to go to the other meets.

pwolf66
October 28th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Soooooo anyone looking to split a room in Chicago? I'll be there the 4th thru the 7th. No reservations made yet. Still trying to figure out best options but a roommate would be welcome.

poolraat
October 28th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Soooooo anyone looking to split a room in Chicago? I'll be there the 4th thru the 7th. No reservations made yet. Still trying to figure out best options but a roommate would be welcome.

Find anyone yet? It wouldn't take much to convince me to make this trip.

pwolf66
October 28th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Floyd,

You would always be welcome. Nope no takers yet.

poolraat
October 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Of course, first I'll have to check the event schedule. I can't travel across the country to swim my races if they are back to back.
:mooning: :bolt:

FlyQueen
October 28th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I love the idea of all of you in Chicago!!!!

pwolf66
October 28th, 2008, 11:08 PM
It's a good meet order. You should be able to get in your 50/100 back, 50 fly and 50 free pretty easy. It all depends on what esle you want to swim.

Chris Stevenson
October 30th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I love the idea of all of you in Chicago!!!!

Well, you need to start planning the 2009 USAS Convention party schedule NOW...

Michelina
October 30th, 2008, 11:44 AM

A years worth of planning... Hew boy... Convention is going to be good next year!:cheerleader:

FlyQueen
November 2nd, 2008, 04:27 PM

hahaha ... don't worry there is a team of people on it!

Michelina
November 4th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Good job! Your 800 free time was around your time at LCM Zones. You did some good times in Indy.

I really need to do these meets next year. I don't have the funds or the miles to go to the other meets.

Thanks! :blush: Indy is such a great pool (the locker rooms are still less than good) But very fast!

Next year, you will need to get on the TYR bandwagon like the rest of us crazy travel people. :bliss:

tjrpatt
November 5th, 2008, 09:04 PM
The plan is to be able to do these meets next year. It sounds like fun.

mbmg3282
November 5th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Online registration for Louisville and Chicago is now available. Go to www.tyrgrandprix.com.

tjrpatt
November 5th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Online registration for Louisville and Chicago is now available. Go to www.tyrgrandprix.com.

I can't afford to travel from Philly to Louisville and Chicago this year. I am able to do the VA Beach meet on Saturday, the East Meadow Meet in LI, NY on Nov. 23 and SCM Zones because they are at Rutgers. This is always next year to be a jet set Masters swimmer.

Michelina
November 6th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Online registration for Louisville and Chicago is now available. Go to www.tyrgrandprix.com (http://www.tyrgrandprix.com).

Thanks Mark! You da best! Good luck next weekend with your swims.

See you in Chicago. :bliss:

KeeponTRIn
November 9th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I don't know about you all, but I'm pumped for the meet this weekend.

SwimRobin
November 9th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the Discussion Forums, Avery! See you in Louisville!

mbmg3282
November 13th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Pysch sheets, preliminary meet program and the estimated timeline are now posted at www.tyrgrandrpix.com for this weekend's TYR Grand Prix - Louisville.

I look forward to seeing everyone in Louisville. Also, the online registration system for the TYR Grand Prix - Chicago is now open.

pwolf66
November 14th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Crap, I see Craig's swimming. So much for trying to snag the 50 Free and 50 Fly meet records in Chicago. Doesn't he have anything better to do?

pwolf66
November 15th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Last chance for a cheap room in Chicago for the December Tyr Grand Prix meet. Address of the hotel is:

Four Points by Sheraton Chicago O'Hare Airport

10249 West Irving Park RoadSchiller Park, Illinois 60176

Room is 2 queen beds, non-smoking

Hotel has a free shuttle to and from O'Hare and the El is within easy walking distance. Rates reasonable :)

poolraat
November 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
You're tempting me, Paul. My training partner backed out of the Reno meet and I keep looking at the entry info for this one. If my pool would just stay open for 1 more week.....

Last chance for a cheap room in Chicago for the December Tyr Grand Prix meet. Address of the hotel is:

Four Points by Sheraton Chicago O'Hare Airport

10249 West Irving Park RoadSchiller Park, Illinois 60176

Room is 2 queen beds, non-smoking

Hotel has a free shuttle to and from O'Hare and the El is within easy walking distance. Rates reasonable :)

mbmg3282
November 16th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Results from today's TYR Grand Prix - Louisville are now posted at www.tyrgrandprix.com.

Another stop on the Grand Prix, another FINA Masters World Record for Yoshi Oyakawa. Today, he lowered his 50 backstroke standard that was set in Indianapolis only three weeks ago posting a 35.51. Congratulations to Yoshi and everyone else on their great swims. Results and individuals summaries of each race with splits are now posted.

Next stop, Chicago.

FlyQueen
November 17th, 2008, 09:34 AM
You're tempting me, Paul. My training partner backed out of the Reno meet and I keep looking at the entry info for this one. If my pool would just stay open for 1 more week.....

Come on Floyd - JUST DO IT!

Michelina
December 1st, 2008, 11:55 AM
Tomorrow is the deadline for Chicago! If you plan on attending, get your on-line entry done ASAP! See everyone this weekend!

FlyQueen
December 1st, 2008, 04:45 PM
Yeah! I feel like we have been talking about and waiting for this meet for months. (Maybe because we have?!) I hope this week doesn't drag ...

Michelina
December 3rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah! I feel like we have been talking about and waiting for this meet for months. (Maybe because we have?!) I hope this week doesn't drag ...

It's already Wednesday! We will be there in no time... and the Bad Girls got a nice little upgrade to First Class too! :banana:

pwolf66
December 3rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
PSYCH SHEETS....PSYCH SHEETS!!!!

Not that I expect to swim well anyway but it would be nice to see them :banana:

mbmg3282
December 3rd, 2008, 09:29 PM
Paul,

I will have them posted within the hour. I am working on them now. Entries just closed this morning at 3:00 AM and I am still trying to contact so swimmers about their events.

Mark

pwolf66
December 3rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Mark, as usual, you are the man!!!

mbmg3282
December 3rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
TYR Grand Prix – Chicago Update

The entries are in and we are almost ready to swim. The estimated timeline, pysch sheet and preliminary meet program are now posted at www.tyrgrandprix.com. Please take a look at your entry and let me know if you see any mistakes. You can email me at mark.gill@usms.org. I will try to post the final meet program on Thursday night that you can download and bring to the meet. I will send out an email when the program is finalized.

Distance Swimmers

Wow! A third of the meet participants signed up to swim the 800 and the 1500 free. To accommodate the demand, we added one extra heat of the 1500 and two heats of the 800. Even with that, we still ended up with a waiting list. To help make sure everyone that wants to swim gets a chance, if you know you are going to scratch either of these events, please let me know in advance.

We will also have positive check-in for the 800 free on Saturday and the 1500 free on Sunday. The check-in deadline will be 8:50 AM. Check-in will be located at the registration table in the pool area.

Parking

The parking lot located directly across from the facility on South Ellis is free on the weekends.

USMS Card and Guest List

In order to enter the facility, you must show your USMS card at the front desk. Please don’t leave home without it. If you are planning on bringing any non-meet participants with you, I need to put their name on the guest list. Please email me by Thursday at 10:00 PM the names of any guests that will be accompanying you. The doors will open at 7:50 AM each day. If you arrive before then, be prepared to wait outside of the facility. Brrr.

UC Waiver

All swimmers must sign a University of Chicago waiver before swimming in the meet. These will be available at the check-in table or you can print it off the www.tyrgrandprix.com website and bring it to the check-in table.

Social Event

The swimming is estimated to finish around 1:30 on Saturday. For those that would like to meet for dinner, drinks and telling complete stories about how fast you swam; we are going to meet at Leona’s on Taylor Street (1419 W. Taylor Street, Chicago 60607) at 7:30 PM. Directions will be available at the pool. Leona’s is about 8 miles from UC and located in downtown near public transportation.

Support UC Swimming

This meet is run as a fundraiser for the University of Chicago Swim Team. They are one of the top DIII schools in the country. Not only are they academically tough, but both the men’s and women’s teams are ranked in the top 20. Last year individuals donated money to thank the varsity swimmers for timing our meet during their exam week. We would again like to collect money to support the UC swimmers. There will be an envelope at the registration desk you can put you tax deductible gift in. Last year we raised almost $1000 for the team.

I look forward to seeing everyone in Chicago on Saturday.

Mark

pwolf66
December 3rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Well, after reviewing the timeline, this is my 99.9% guarantee that I will be scratching the 200 IM. Just not enough recovery time. Was hoping the meet would be just a tad bit longer on Sat to be able to support 4 events. Ah well. That's life. I'll see how I feel tomorrow evening.

mbmg3282
December 5th, 2008, 12:58 AM
TYR Grand Prix – Chicago Update # 2

Meet Program

The final meet program is now posted on the www.tyrgrandprix.com website. Download a copy and bring it to the meet. For those without printers, we will post several copies around the pool and in the stands.

Series High Point Award

The series high point award winners will be announced at the conclusion of the meet. To be eligible for the series high point award, you must have swum in at least two of the TYR Grand Prix meets in 2008. This year, we are awarding the winners a custom TYR warm up – the Alliance Team Jacket. We will take the winners sizes at the meet and then mail the warm up to you.

Stats

I like statistics, especially when they show growth. This year we have 21% growth in participation with 141 swimmers. 33% of the swimmers come from outside of Illinois. The largest team is the Chicago Smelts with 14 swimmers. The second biggest is the Gray Sharks Leaning Towers YCMA with 13 participants. Swim Kentucky Masters is the largest out of state team with 8 athletes.

Timeline

Note the improved timeline on Saturday. Due to scratches, we will only have 4 heats of the 800 free. Sprinters, that means you have to wake up a few minutes earlier.

I hope everyone has a safe trip to the pool. I look forward to seeing you all on Saturday.

Mark

mbmg3282
December 6th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Results from Day One of the TYR Grand Prix - Chicago are in and the trend of fast swimming continues. Congratulations to Katherine Kohn who broke the women's 55 - 59 USMS Record in the 200 Breast with a time of 3:07.49 slashing almost 5 seconds previous standard. Not to be outdone, Bryan Bateman established a new World Record in the 100 IM for men 60 - 64. His time was a 1:07.88. Complete results with splits through day one are available on the www.tyrgrandprix.com website.

mbmg3282
December 7th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks to everyone who came and was a part of the 2008 TYR Masters Grand Prix Series. The final results from Chicago are now available along with individual summaries with splits. Congratulations to the Chicago Smelts who won the TYR Grand Prix - Chicago team competition. I look forward to seeing everyone in 2009. For more information, visit www.tyrgrandprix.com.

Michelina
December 8th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks to everyone who came and was a part of the 2008 TYR Masters Grand Prix Series. The final results from Chicago are now available along with individual summaries with splits. Congratulations to the Chicago Smelts who won the TYR Grand Prix - Chicago team competition. I look forward to seeing everyone in 2009. For more information, visit www.tyrgrandprix.com (http://www.tyrgrandprix.com).
:applaud::applaud::applaud:

Thanks for a great weekend of fun and fast swims!

:banana:

mattson
December 8th, 2008, 12:01 PM
This is a copy of the entry I made in the Great Lakes Zone.

Thanks to Mark Gill and everyone who organized the meet. That is a really nice pool.

For those who weren't there, Gill did a 400 free, which is equivalent to a 2 mile open water swim for a normal person. :bolt:

To procrastinate from work, I've posted a few pictures from Sunday on the ILMSA gallery (http://pictures.ilmsa.com/main.php?g2_itemId=60915).

imspoiled
December 9th, 2008, 12:35 PM
YES!!! Mark you got my awesome Team Hottub relay start! You rock!