PDA

View Full Version : 2008 SC Champs, Nov 15-16

Glider
October 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
So Who is going. So far I count Lump, CreamPuff, and Donna. Anyone else?

See meet info here (http://www.dixiezone.org/Meets/0811columbia.pdf).

Where are you staying?

What are you swimming?

I'm staying with relatives in Bethune, SC, and swimming my usual 3 BR events...Still deciding on the 50 backstroke...

Lump
October 20th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I'm staying at the Hampton Inn on Gervais St.

50, 100, 200 Free
100 IM, 100 Back

I debated on whether to go for the 400 FR, but I think I'll wait until Auburn to venture into those waters. I need more training and pool time.

I know my college swim coach, Keith Switzer, will be there swimming and also 1996 Olympian Carlton Bruner, who I swam with at Dynamo back in the day. Should be fun getting my butt kicked by him again (although it was the other way around for awhile in HS :D)

Glider
October 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I swam with Keith's brother, Kevin, (and some age group meets with Keith, too, iirc) back in the early 80s at Tulane...Small world.

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn on Gervais St.

50, 100, 200 Free
100 IM, 100 Back

I debated on whether to go for the 400 FR, but I think I'll wait until Auburn to venture into those waters. I need more training and pool time.

I know my college swim coach, Keith Switzer, will be there swimming and also 1996 Olympian Carlton Bruner, who I swam with at Dynamo back in the day. Should be fun getting my butt kicked by him again (although it was the other way around for awhile in HS :D)

Lump
October 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I swam with Keith's brother, Kevin, (and some age group meets with Keith, too, iirc) back in the early 80s at Tulane...Small world.

Too funny. Yeah, Keith isn't too much older than me. When he took over S. Carolina in 1990 I think he was the youngest Div 1 head coach. He was only like 26 or 27.

CreamPuff
October 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Marriott Columbia on Hampton Street.

Sat
1500 FR
200 Fly
50 Fly
200 FR
(I'm either doing the 200 FR OR the 1500 FR). I want a good 200 fly so it's tough to say if I'll do the 1500. Need to ask my coach.

Sun
50 FR
100 FR - Maybe depending on how I feel/ Most likely will scratch this
100 Fly
400 FR

Glider
October 20th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Dang...you're no creampuff...you're some sort of a (S)he-man:bow:

Sat
1500 FR
200 Fly
50 Fly
200 FR
(I'm either doing the 200 FR OR the 1500 FR). I want a good 200 fly so it's tough to say if I'll do the 1500. Need to ask my coach.

Sun
50 FR
100 Fly
400 FR

Lump
October 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM

Sat
1500 FR
200 Fly
50 Fly
200 FR

Sun
50 FR
100 Fly
400 FR

You're insane! You obviously didn't learn anything in the younger swimming years! I'm not going over 500 again.....ever! :D

well, I'll probably do some open water stuff though so...

CreamPuff
October 21st, 2008, 01:54 PM
lol

Jeff, I did NOT train anything like you and the Dyna guys and gals. So I never learned too much in my younger days.
And, I didn't say I'd swim anything very fast!

Glider, BTW, I go by Puff. Or Cream Puff. ;)

Donna
October 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM
I will be traveling up with some of my friends from Low Country Masters on Friday night. We are staying at the Comfort Inn.

I will be swimming:
Sat
1500 Fr
100 IM
100 Back
50 Fly
200 Free

Sun
50 Free
100 Breast
200 Back
50 Back
400 Free

I figure if I make it thru the 100 Fly this weekend at the kids meet I should make it thru the 100 IM and 50 Fly ok too. Normally I would have done the 400 IM but this year I figured I would not push the arm too much just yet.

Good sign today since my joints felt alot better today than I have in a long while.

Only 1 breaststroke event this time Glider. I figured the 100 might a good start event though I am better at the 200.

CreamPuff
October 21st, 2008, 04:32 PM
Donna officially gets the She-Man award in my book. :cheerleader::cheerleader:
I'm cream puff next to her!

Lump
October 21st, 2008, 04:40 PM
I guess I'm gonna have to just say I'm a sprinter at this point.....and I use the term "sprinter" loosely, VERY loosely!

I was "this" close to entering the 400 FR, but wussed out!

Donna
October 21st, 2008, 10:17 PM
Up until last year when I learned how to sprint I used to think the 400 Fr was a sprint for me.

Lump
October 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
Up until last year when I learned how to sprint I used to think the 400 Fr was a sprint for me.

Back in the day it was.....not so much anymore! :laugh2:

Glider
October 22nd, 2008, 10:35 AM
So you are toe-testing the dark side...Hmmm, I may have to try the 50 back after all.:afraid:

Impressive meet program. That's a full workout for me, sometimes. :drown:

I will be traveling up with some of my friends from Low Country Masters on Friday night. We are staying at the Comfort Inn.

I will be swimming:
Sat
1500 Fr
100 IM
100 Back
50 Fly
200 Free

Sun
50 Free
100 Breast
200 Back
50 Back
400 Free

I figure if I make it thru the 100 Fly this weekend at the kids meet I should make it thru the 100 IM and 50 Fly ok too. Normally I would have done the 400 IM but this year I figured I would not push the arm too much just yet.

Good sign today since my joints felt alot better today than I have in a long while.

Only 1 breaststroke event this time Glider. I figured the 100 might a good start event though I am better at the 200.

Glider
October 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
What, CreamPuff doesn't work? I know (S)he and (S)he-man are out.

I like these:

- HR Puff 'n Stuff
- Puffster
- Cream Pie
- Puff the Magic Drag Queen
- Huff 'n Puff

But if I must, I'll just go with Puff:bolt:

lol

Jeff, I did NOT train anything like you and the Dyna guys and gals. So I never learned too much in my younger days.
And, I didn't say I'd swim anything very fast!

Glider, BTW, I go by Puff. Or Cream Puff. ;)

Glider
October 30th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Alrighty then...so I just sent my entry. And get this I actually entered the 50 backstroke. Yeah! :banana:

Have any rules changed? Can you dive in from the blocks now, or do you still have to start in the water?:D

By the way, does anybody know the answer to this question: In SCM, how far are the backstroke flags from the wall - 5 yards or 5 meters?

I will be swimming:
Sat
1500 Fr
100 IM
100 Back
50 Fly
200 Free

Sun
50 Free
100 Breast
200 Back
50 Back
400 Free

pwolf66
October 30th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Alrighty then...so I just sent my entry. And get this I actually entered the 50 backstroke. Yeah! :banana:

Have any rules changed? Can you dive in from the blocks now, or do you still have to start in the water?:D

By the way, does anybody know the answer to this question: In SCM, how far are the backstroke flags from the wall - 5 yards or 5 meters?

Search 'backstroke flip turn' in Google.

No, forward starts are not allowed.

In an SCM or LCM course, the flags are _supposed_ to be at the 5m mark.

Glider
October 30th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks, Paul. I was jk on the first 2 questions. :thhbbb:But I couldn't say for sure on the flags issue...You'd think the pool management would know, right? Riiiggght...I guess well see.

Search 'backstroke flip turn' in Google.

No, forward starts are not allowed.

In an SCM or LCM course, the flags are _supposed_ to be at the 5m mark.

Lump
October 31st, 2008, 10:04 AM
They are 5M, but it shouldn't matter. You should practice a few turns in warmups anyway to get a feel for the wall! :D

See you there! I'm doing (I think, sometimes I forget)
50, 100, 200 Free
100 IM
100 Back

While I was a distance swimmer in my first swimming life I have no intentions of training for the 1650, 1000, or even 500 again. When and if I do the 500 it will be swimming "up" to it. But that won't be this SC season, maybe next. Baby steps!

pwolf66
October 31st, 2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks, Paul. I was jk on the first 2 questions. :thhbbb:But I couldn't say for sure on the flags issue...You'd think the pool management would know, right? Riiiggght...I guess well see.

I thought so and I forgot to include the appropriate smilies on my responses. :thhbbb:

Glider
October 31st, 2008, 10:29 PM
I hear what you're saying - I'm just the opposite - and there is no changing it. If you look up "drop-dead sprinter", you'll likely see a picture of me. It doesn't matter how much endurance training I do (got up to 37K yards/week last summer). I am genetically challenged with a high ratio of fast-twitch muscle fibers.

I don't even like doing 200 (BR) races too much. They are excruciatingly painful for me - absolute torture. I train for them and like that aspect for conditioning. And when I can push through a 200 race with a good time, that's a great feeling. But I'm considering just going with my strength...50 and 100 races, mixing in those other funky strokes.

You may up having more success in the 200 races if you are a slow-twitch guy and still not have to train for those gawd awful long distance (500+) events.

They are 5M, but it shouldn't matter. You should practice a few turns in warmups anyway to get a feel for the wall! :D

See you there! I'm doing (I think, sometimes I forget)
50, 100, 200 Free
100 IM
100 Back

While I was a distance swimmer in my first swimming life I have no intentions of training for the 1650, 1000, or even 500 again. When and if I do the 500 it will be swimming "up" to it. But that won't be this SC season, maybe next. Baby steps!

Glider
November 6th, 2008, 01:32 PM
The meet roster (http://www.sportstiming.com/Master%20Entries.pdf) is up if you want to confirm your entries. We should see a psyche sheet in a couple of days, I'd guess.

CreamPuff
November 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Hey Mark,

Just a heads up, I very well may not be going as I've got a really nasty virus. Boo hoo! I'll miss you and everyone else if I can't make it!

Glider
November 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Rest...rest...and more rest. It's still 9 days away. You'll be fine and probably swim some of your best times EVER!!!!!!

Hey Mark,

Just a heads up, I very well may not be going as I've got a really nasty virus. Boo hoo! I'll miss you and everyone else if I can't make it!

Donna
November 6th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Cream Puff,

Hope you get over it soon, get some rest :bed: I need some company in that 1500 heat. Even though I will no doubt get lapped several times by you.

Yes Mark I changed my entry, my Fly was a best time at the kids meet so out with the 200 Free, in with the 400 IM!

I know I am a glutten for punishment. I hope I can get in the pool for warmup earlier than the scheduled time. I would like some rest between warmup and the 1500 and being the #5 seed that will put me in heat 1 with all those fast people AKA Cream Puff who even being sick could still lap these old bones.

Lump
November 6th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I've been on vacation this week and a bit sick as well. Coughing my head off. I've also only been in the pool about once in the last week. Gonna get in tomorrow and flop around and see how I feel. All I know is I'm gonna get drilled at this meet, there are some fast guys in my age group. Oh well.

Donna
November 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Glider,

You have an awesome challenge in the 100 and 200 Breast if I sorted things correctly you are the top seed for those events. Good luck! No pressure...:cheerleader:

Glider
November 7th, 2008, 10:24 PM
True, but look at the 50. I'll be racing our 36 yo ED, Rob Butcher. I wonder how he'd take to some smack talk?

Rob?

Glider,

You have an awesome challenge in the 100 and 200 Breast if I sorted things correctly you are the top seed for those events. Good luck! No pressure...:cheerleader:

Donna
November 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
True, but look at the 50. I'll be racing our 36 yo ED, Rob Butcher. I wonder how he'd take to some smack talk?

Rob?

I don't know but you are just the one to do it!

Seems like a large meet this time, which is really good for those of us doing back to back to back events on the second day. I have to be CRAZY!:bouncing:

See you soon Glider.

Lump
November 11th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Thank GOD my longest event is the 200 Free...between being half way sick, vaction, and all the Halloween candy I've partaken in I'm not expecting anything fast at this meet. Luckily its the only SCM meet I'll be doing so I have nothing to judge it against! :D

Glider
November 11th, 2008, 01:58 PM
That'll make this year the benchmark for next year's SCM meets - a leg up on something to shoot for in 09...:D

Thank GOD my longest event is the 200 Free...between being half way sick, vaction, and all the Halloween candy I've partaken in I'm not expecting anything fast at this meet. Luckily its the only SCM meet I'll be doing so I have nothing to judge it against! :D

Lump
November 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM
That'll make this year the benchmark for next year's SCM meets - a leg up on something to shoot for in 09...:D

True...I think I can only get faster and thinner at this point! :D

Glider
November 12th, 2008, 10:10 PM
The psyche sheet (http://www.sportstiming.com/PSYCH.HTM) is up. See y'all there.

CreamPuff
November 13th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Good luck GAJA! :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

This soooo sux looking at this and not being able to be there. The meet in Shreveport that I may do next week if I'm well is not mixed men and women so it's not nearly as fun.

Lump
November 16th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Ouch! That hurt!

I'm dead! I think I used all my bullets on my first event (100 IM). My freestyle was really terrible. Its pretty obvious to me that if I want to swim sprints I need to do A LOT more quality sets in practice and less yardarge. I think I will start going to the 200-500 events going forward. Sprints just HURT WAY WAY too much!

Donna
November 16th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Jeff the distance events hurt too, just differently.

I know how you feel and I am hurting too. Can't wait to get to bed tonight and sick as it sounds I need to get in the pool tomorrow morning to get the remaining lactic acid out of my arms.

Easy day tomorrow. Yeah.

Lump
November 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Jeff the distance events hurt too, just differently.

I know how you feel and I am hurting too. Can't wait to get to bed tonight and sick as it sounds I need to get in the pool tomorrow morning to get the remaining lactic acid out of my arms.

Easy day tomorrow. Yeah.

I know it still hurts, but at least my heart rate is constant and not going from 65 to 200 in two laps! The only deterant is that I used to be a distance guy and trying on my own I just don't have it in me. It really takes some intestinal fortitude to do it. We'll see. At least I know where I'm at and what I need to do...that is 1/2 the battle!

I'll go to the Y maybe with my son tomorrow night just to let him swim and play a bit. I need a few days off. Plus I have a concert (Kings of Leon) Tuesday night and will be out late, so that kind throws a wrench in the week. By the end of the week I'll be situation normal.

Donna
November 17th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Jeff,

If you want some company around Christmas time I am going to be up in Woodstock and will need to get in the water on both Wednesday(12/24) and Friday(12/26). I was thinking of swimming at the Mt View Pool if its open or else I'll just head over to Dynamo.

Donna

Lump
November 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Jeff,

If you want some company around Christmas time I am going to be up in Woodstock and will need to get in the water on both Wednesday(12/24) and Friday(12/26). I was thinking of swimming at the Mt View Pool if its open or else I'll just head over to Dynamo.

Donna

Sure, give me a buzz around then. I'll need to get their holiday schedule. My family and I just joined the YMCA up in Canton as well and they also have a pool (although I haven't seen it yet). Probably gonna go up their tonight and splash around with my 4-yr. old son...recovery day!:applaud: I'll find out that schedule as well so if Mt. View is out, maybe I can get you in the Y?

Glider
November 17th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Donna: Great to see you again. Impressive 1500, especially setting a PB on the first 400 leg. How did the actual 400 go?

Jeff: Great to meet you. You had an awesome 100 IM. You can always tell when someone has a swimming background. I didn't see your 200 FR. How'd it go? See any pianos?

I snuck out early on Sunday and skipped the 50 backstroke. I had a 3.5 hour trip, and didn't want to sit around for an hour and a half waiting to swim such a lame stroke:bump:

See you all at Auburn...Unless anyone decides to do Georgia Senior State December 12 through 14.

Kristina...Good luck in Shreveport.

Lump
November 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Jeff: Great to meet you. You had an awesome 100 IM. You can always tell when someone has a swimming background. I didn't see your 200 FR. How'd it go? See any pianos?

No pianos. I just didn't push it like I should have. I had a guy next to me that took it out so I rode the rope (like Lezak) and then pulled away the last 25. I really just "raced" it rather than swimming my own race and killing myself! :D

I'll be spending more time training for the 200-500 going forward I think. Maybe even take a stab at the mile just for giggles?

Nice meeting you all as well!

Here is a link to the results:
http://www.dixiezone.org/Results/0811columbia.pdf

Donna
November 17th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Donna: Great to see you again. Impressive 1500, especially setting a PB on the first 400 leg. How did the actual 400 go?

Mark, Great seeing you. You had some great swims. As for the 400 I was tired and ended up trying something I have never done before, KICK the entire race. I am not sure which way to do it now, just pull like usual or just force myself to learn to kick all the time. I may work on my kick, at the worst I might lose some more leg fat! At best I might kick butt on the end of my 400 IM better than this past weekend.

Jeff, I'll definitely get with your just before I come up at Christmas. See you then.

Kristina, Good Luck and hope you are healthier.

CreamPuff
November 18th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Mark, Great seeing you. You had some great swims. As for the 400 I was tired and ended up trying something I have never done before, KICK the entire race. I am not sure which way to do it now, just pull like usual or just force myself to learn to kick all the time. I may work on my kick, at the worst I might lose some more leg fat! At best I might kick butt on the end of my 400 IM better than this past weekend.

Jeff, I'll definitely get with your just before I come up at Christmas. See you then.

Kristina, Good Luck and hope you are healthier.

Donna, Wow! Kicking an entire 400!? I'm impressed. :cheerleader: As a masters swimmer, that takes some serious guts b/c it's truly HARD! Great job on your swims (and swimming that line up) Donna!! Thank you for the good luck wishes. :)

Mark, you had some GREAT time drops in the breaststroke events compared to last year! Really impressive!

Jeff, great job swimming that line up! I know you had some pretty stiff competition - only an ex Olympian and some other ex college swimmers. Sprints are HARD. So is distance actually! I think you are doing AWESOME having just gotten back into it all!

Donna
November 19th, 2008, 09:53 AM
If you swam in the meet this weekend in Columbia, SC check your results. I noticed my 50 Free was missing, everything else was correct. Email corrections to info@sportstiming.com

Glider
November 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM
And I guess we have to wait until the results hit the USMS meet database to get splits, right?

If you swam in the meet this weekend in Columbia, SC check your results. I noticed my 50 Free was missing, everything else was correct. Email corrections to info@sportstiming.com

Donna
November 19th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I hope we get the splits, I want to know my splits for the 1500 and the 400 IM. I am curious how fast the last 100 of my 4IM was. It felt really fast.

Glider
December 6th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Anyone know if these meet results have been submitted to the USMS database?

I hope we get the splits, I want to know my splits for the 1500 and the 400 IM. I am curious how fast the last 100 of my 4IM was. It felt really fast.

Donna
December 6th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Not yet Mark

I have been in contact with the appropriate people working on getting these submitted and they should get this done this weekened. I offered to help and will continue to offer to help until it gets done.

I know I have a vested interest in getting these in too.

Glider
December 9th, 2008, 07:58 PM
It looks like the results are in the results database and rankings now. It looks like somebody didn't send in the registration numbers with the results - mine at least, as my times are red flagged:bitching:

Not yet Mark

I have been in contact with the appropriate people working on getting these submitted and they should get this done this weekened. I offered to help and will continue to offer to help until it gets done.

Glider
December 9th, 2008, 10:23 PM
There are at least two meets to go for this SCM season (that I can find) which could affect TT times, both coming this weekend:

New England LMSC SCM Champs (http://www.greatbaymasters.org/08scmchamp.php)
Mizzou Masters (http://www.movymasters.org/events.html)

That, plus two meets last weekend that may not yet be in the database:

The Coral Springs meet - results should go on the Dixie Zone site
The Wisconsin Masters meet - results here (http://www.swim-wimasters.org/Results+West+Bend+12-6-08.htm)

Not yet Mark

Donna
December 9th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Mark,

Seeing as you and I are very anal about our swimming I have passed along a file I created off the original entries that were posted with the USMS numbers to the appropriate person and as always have offered my assistance if need be.

I also plan to email Jeanne and give her my information to update my swims properly, you might want to do the same.