PDA

View Full Version : Groin pain during breaststroke kick

srikanth.padava
October 22nd, 2008, 02:35 AM
Hi

i have recently started learning swimming. im 27 and never got the opportunity to learn swimming. Any ways my trainer started with the breaststroke. ive attended the course for about 8 days now for about an hour each day.

i have recently started having groin pain during the stroke kick and after a couple of days the pain is away. it starts again when i try to practice the kick (only the kick without the arm movement)

i wanted to ask if it is normal, or does it occur only if i do the kick wrong. my trainer says i am doing the kick ok. well a little more than ok actually. i feel the same too. but for this pain.

any ideas?

Typhoons Coach
October 22nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
Welcome to the world of swimming where pain is good (in most cases). Anyway, you are most likely feeling a great deal of muscle fatigue which is driving the pain. I would suggest that you talk to your coach/instructor about slowing down the workout a bit with regard to breaststroke kick.

I'm curious, though, why s/he started with breaststroke....

tjburk
October 22nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
One of the other things to focus on is stretching prior to getting in the water. There are several groin stretches you can do.....and make sure you take time to stretch at the end of practice as well.

srikanth.padava
October 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks fpr the response. Thats the problem here in europe. they teach breaststroke first for the beginners.
And for the fatigue, i forgot to mention that i havent been a fitness freak for the past 27 yrs and havent done a lot of sport either. And all of a sudden this swimming lessons. could it be the reason? and just the muscle needs some time to get used to the stress??

Typhoons Coach
October 22nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks fpr the response. Thats the problem here in europe. they teach breaststroke first for the beginners.
And for the fatigue, i forgot to mention that i havent been a fitness freak for the past 27 yrs and havent done a lot of sport either. And all of a sudden this swimming lessons. could it be the reason? and just the muscle needs some time to get used to the stress??

Right; that was my reasoning for suggesting you slow down and pace yourself through the workouts.

How much are you currently swimming (where was your start point and where are you now) with regard to breaststroke?

srikanth.padava
October 22nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
well the class is for about 45 minutes. and until now i practised the breaststroke kick (the kick is the only thing ive been practising until now) for about 30 minutes (on an average in each class). the rest of the 15 minutes, i take a break or just relax in the water.

Only in the last class i have started working with the arm movement, that was pretty messy though trying to get the arm, leg movement coordination right. When i do (or try to) both the arm and leg movement it doesnt hurt a lot.

i wonder if my kick is right. can it be because im not kicking right. but my trainer says i am kicking alright, but bending, closing, and again bending too fast. oohhh many questions. sorry mate. i hope u understand how it is trying to learn schwimming at 27.:cry: the problem is until now i thought i got the kick right and i can move on to the arm movement, and now cozof this groin pain, i am getting suspicious if i am getting the kick right in the first place.

imspoiled
October 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
Having groin pain during your kick does not necessarily indicate a problem with your kick. It could just be you are working muscles in your legs differently than you have in the past.

You mentioned swimming 30-45 minutes of breaststroke per day. That's a lot of leg work! Assuming you were not exercising thorugh those movements before, you could have strained or overworked your legs.

If your instructor says your kick looks ok, it probably is ok. You may want to mention the pain and ask if you can work on another type of kick or other stroke mechanics for a day or two.

Typhoons Coach
October 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Having groin pain during your kick does not necessarily indicate a problem with your kick. It could just be you are working muscles in your legs differently than you have in the past.

You mentioned swimming 30-45 minutes of breaststroke per day. That's a lot of leg work! Assuming you were not exercising thorugh those movements before, you could have strained or overworked your legs.

If your instructor says your kick looks ok, it probably is ok. You may want to mention the pain and ask if you can work on another type of kick or other stroke mechanics for a day or two.

I agree with this response as well!

Midas
October 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
30-45 minutes of breaststroke kick is A LOT. No wonder you're hurting. I do about 10-15 minutes a day and I'm sore from it. Breaststroke kick is rough on my knees, too. I wouldn't recommend doing so much breaststroke kick. Time to move onto freestyle/front crawl.

anita
October 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Dang, 4 laps of breaststroke is enough for me...45 minutes? Just shoot me.
My knees/groin/brain hurt just thinking about it.
I agree with the last few responses...time to move on. There are 3 other strokes to have fun with!

Glider
October 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
First, I am a breaststroker and train mostly for it. In a typical week I put in around 25K yards in about 10 hours of training over 6 practice sessions.

In my most recent week, 11K of that 25K yardage (45%) was some sort of breaststroke, either swimming, drilling, pulling or kicking. Of that 11K, only 2,600 yards for the week was kicking - about 52 minutes for the WEEK.

The only time I have groin issues is early in the season as I'm ramping up training. And it's not the training that gets me. It's going all out in meet races that will cause my groin to get strained a little, so that I have to back off a day or two.

I recommend that you diversify both your breaststroke training (something other than kicking), as well as mixing in other strokes.

USMSarah
October 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
I did the same thing a few weeks ago - and man did breast kick hurt... I switched over to fly kick when we swam breaststroke and before I knew it - it was feeling a ton better. I stretched it a lot... that really helped. I don't know exactly how I did it, but it was definitely working on breast.

Allen Stark
October 23rd, 2008, 01:46 AM
It is easy to get a groin pull with breaststroke kick.I am a breaststroker and I do very little kick only breaststroke,it just puts too much strain on the joints.At least get your coach to have you do full stroke.With kick only you are constantly accelerating and decelerating and the strain on joints is greater.A good rule is,if it hurts like its tired ,maybe go on,if it hurts like its strained,do something else for awhile.

srikanth.padava
October 25th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Thanks guyz for all your suggestions.

Yesterday i had an other training session of breaststroke. i took your suggestions along with me and did the following things:
1. stretching exercises before and after swimming.
2. i have told my coach about my pain, and i started doing the complete stroke instead of the kick only training. that seemed to ease a lot of stress on the groin, and at the end of the training yesterday i didnt have a lot of groin pain as i did at the end of last training session.

Thanks once again for all your suggestions.