PDA

View Full Version : what does that mean?

jjpj
October 23rd, 2008, 01:19 AM
We do swim 5 days a week about 4500-5000yds/day, sprints, endurance etc. Since about last week i do not feel very tired after the sets. When i started swimming 5 weeks ago i was exausted.
Does it mean that i can add more to my workout on top of what coach had assigned? I know i can do it cause still have like 20-25 minutes left of swim time.

jjpj

Rykno
October 23rd, 2008, 03:13 AM
Depending on what your sets look like, or what you were working on for that day, I would say yes, add something to then end.

I often add 5x100 pulling to our shorter workouts. or 200 pulling followed by 9x50 des 1-3

or on days that we do a lot of pulling in the main sets I add 300-500 kick at the end.

another suggestion if you're not feeling tired after, shorted the start intervals. force yourself to swim faster in the main set.

or it could be that your ready for longer workouts.

my group has gone from barely 3500m in 90 minutes to nearly 4500m in 90min. over the past 18 months, which is nice, but when I get my own lane (twice a week) I can handle a 4500m IM work out in 90,or a 5500m free workout.

Chris Stevenson
October 23rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
This is my :2cents:, take it for what its worth...

Unless you are training to do 10K open water swims, 4500-5000 per day, 5 days a week, is plenty for pool races. If you have time I would up the intensity, do sets with plenty of rest and get close to race pace.

If you don't do kick sets, add them. Do high intensity kick sets and endurance kick sets; social kick sets are worthless (except as recovery).

If you already do high intensity sets and kick sets, then possibly consider cross-training instead of more pool work. Develop a solid routine for core workouts, for example. If you don't do weights, give it a try.

Good luck.

Lump
October 23rd, 2008, 09:35 AM
This is my :2cents:, take it for what its worth...

Unless you are training to do 10K open water swims, 4500-5000 per day, 5 days a week, is plenty for pool races. If you have time I would up the intensity, do sets with plenty of rest and get close to race pace.

If you don't do kick sets, add them. Do high intensity kick sets and endurance kick sets; social kick sets are worthless (except as recovery).

If you already do high intensity sets and kick sets, then possibly consider cross-training instead of more pool work. Develop a solid routine for core workouts, for example. If you don't do weights, give it a try.

Good luck.

100% agree

mattson
October 23rd, 2008, 11:06 AM
You can also consider up-ing the intensity/yardage on some days, and easing off others, to keep your body "off-balance". (Variety is the spice of life.)

pwolf66
October 23rd, 2008, 11:21 AM
And shift gears frequently, even within a practice.

If you get used to swimming 50 Free on 1:00 in a certain time, then rather than alter the interval downward, try to swim each one 3-4 seconds faster.

hofffam
October 23rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
There is good advice above. Rather than swim MORE, swim MORE QUALITY.

If I remember correctly - your workouts are made of many sets, with no obvious goal for each one. It seemed there was a lot of variety - almost designed to keep you from getting bored.

5000 yds x 5 is plenty of yardage. If you are not tired after 5000 yds I think your workouts are too easy.

You should probably work to change the intensity level during some of your workouts. Not every day. You don't want to hammer every set, every workout. But add some longer sets to keep your heart rate up for a while. 15 x 100 swum fairly fast with 10 secs rest, followed by a non-freestyle set, and followed by a kick set. Do some long rest high intensity swims (on a different day). 5 x 100 on 4:00, all swum best effort. Recover for 5 minutes, then repeat. Recover, then repeat with a non-freestyle set. Etc.

SaltySwimmer
October 23rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
Some of the faster swimmers on my team (read: not me) rest for about 15 minutes after they finish the workout, then have the coach time them on something. For instance, they do a timed 50 free, 25 back, 25 SDK, etc. Seems like you are already getting a lot of yardage in, so this might be something you'd want to consider working in at the end of the workout, especially if you have time and if you're working on upping the speed.

geochuck
October 23rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Robert

I think it means you are not putting in any effort.

You are dogging it.

jjpj
October 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Robert

I think it means you are not putting in any effort.

You are dogging it.

I AM putting effort but after the set i could do more-which i did yesterday -just took few more rounds of 100's and 50's high intensity and some breast work.

interesting-when i was swimming alone past week-doing sets on my own i was more intense then when do those with other memebr who is slower than me-sometimes i tend to slack off...(we share the line)