PDA

View Full Version : Why do rec swimmers split the lane?

daveindc
October 23rd, 2008, 09:38 AM
This is really annoying to me, but why does it seem the first option for most rec swimmers is to split the lane when there are 2 swimmers. I always say we should swim circle if I am in the lane and someone else is coming in, but if I am coming in the person usually wants to split the lane. It is so unnatural to be swimming on the left side of the lane.

Lump
October 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
Because, more that likely you are doing different workouts/strokes/etc. Who wants to keep passing or getting passed over and over. It gets old REAL quick. Plus you should swim straight in a meet...I used to have the bad habit of circle swimming in a meet due to doing it day in and day out with my team.

Spllit until a 3rd trys to join.

pwolf66
October 23rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
I prefer splitting as opposed to circle swimming on the rare event that I swim during open swim. Sure, when a third person tries to join, everyone needs to understand to shift to circle but unless the 2 people in the lane are approximately the same speed, there will be quite a lot of passing.

DolphinGirl
October 23rd, 2008, 10:16 AM
I prefer splitting if there are only two of us. It's a lot easier than having to pass over and over or be passed. Circle swimming only really works well if the people sharing the lane are about the same speed

hofffam
October 23rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
I greatly prefer splitting a lane with two swimmers rather than circle swim - mostly because we are almost never swimming the same workout. The very few times I circle swim I enjoy drafting behind someone and am always surprised how strong the draft can be.

The only real drawback of splitting lanes is when we hit the wall at the same time and turn simultaneously. But that can also increase the competition (a good thing).

I have no problem swimming right or left side of the lane.

ViveBene
October 23rd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Why should rec swimmers follow the conventions of club swimmers?
This is a nonstarter.

anita
October 23rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Why should rec swimmers follow the conventions of club swimmers?
This is a nonstarter.

100% agree.

As it is, the rec swimmers don't like swimming with me because I make a lot of wake. When I share a lane with them I don't swim fly out of consideration, so the feeling is mutual.
Just because two people "swim" doesn't mean they are equal.

jim thornton
October 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Do any of my fellow posters here harbor demonic thoughts when lap swimming with slower folks? I wish I were a better person, but I must say that my inner Conan the Barbarian feels a sense of triumph when I can get a plodder to move to another lane, allowing me sole purview of my lane, sharing no longer required, nor open eyes.

Another dire fantasy I have on occasion, especially when the sharing lap swimmer is wearing a bikini and struggling, despite ample floaties, to keep her pouting mouth above the water line: orca and baby harbor seal.

Under such circumstances, rare as they might be, I do keep my eyes open.

On the rare occasions when life presents me with the opportunity for the orca and baby harbor seal dire fantasy, I am actually chagrined if the lane sharer moves over...

On the moral rectitude side, I have yet to intentionally practice aquatic frotteuring on any baby harbor seals who wander haplessly into my territory, that being lane 3 of the Sewickley Family YMCA.

All of the above rumination, I should add, is coming from the thalamus and other primitive sections of my brain. My forebrain is shocked, absolutely shocked, to think of such things!

And on this note, I am off for a swim. Wonder if any of the nursing students will be taking a break between classes?

shark
October 23rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
And on this note, I am off for a swim. Wonder if any of the nursing students will be taking a break between classes?

You should have ended your most recent article in Mens Health with this.

Mary1912
October 23rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
I prefer to split the lane mainly because most of the people who swim when I do are of such disparate speed levels it's the only way to maintain my sanity. I swim verrry early so usually I have my own lane or only have to split the lane for a few minutes before I'm done and on my way home.

Ripple
October 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
I once had someone insist on splitting (she was faster than me) and then forget to tell me that a third person had just joined the lane and she was switching to circling. A head-on collision resulted - if someone insists on splitting, you must insist on being informed if that changes.

Glider
October 23rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
From my POV, this question is backwards. It's really annoying to me when I am the only swimmer in a lane and one person is joining, and they ask to circle.

Why oh why on Earth would someone want to circle? It's so natural to swim straight, so why would someone want to swim in circles?

Not to mention the passing difficulties - and it's usually someone lap swimming at a thrashing slug's pace.

This is really annoying to me, but why does it seem the first option for most rec swimmers is to split the lane when there are 2 swimmers. I always say we should swim circle if I am in the lane and someone else is coming in, but if I am coming in the person usually wants to split the lane. It is so unnatural to be swimming on the left side of the lane.

Glider
October 23rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Oh my yes. This belongs in the What are you thinking thread...

- Please, oh please don't let the beached whale come into my lane.
- Maybe if I spread all my toys across the end of the lane it'll discourage them.
- Maybe if I swim a fast 50 or 100 down the center they'll be intimidated into another lane.
- If that doesn't work, I'll try a couple of 25s fly with some good wing span and splash.
- Finally, okay which other lane with one swimmer is gonna open up first so I can suggest the open lane as an alternative?

On the other hand, if she's a hottie in a bikini, it's drill time...as in time for the freestyle balance drill/kick on your side:bump:
Jim: I'm from Monroeville/Penn Hills area...How are things back in the Burgh?

Do any of my fellow posters here harbor demonic thoughts when lap swimming with slower folks? I wish I were a better person, but I must say that my inner Conan the Barbarian feels a sense of triumph when I can get a plodder to move to another lane, allowing me sole purview of my lane, sharing no longer required, nor open eyes.

Another dire fantasy I have on occasion, especially when the sharing lap swimmer is wearing a bikini and struggling, despite ample floaties, to keep her pouting mouth above the water line: orca and baby harbor seal.

Under such circumstances, rare as they might be, I do keep my eyes open.

On the rare occasions when life presents me with the opportunity for the orca and baby harbor seal dire fantasy, I am actually chagrined if the lane sharer moves over...

On the moral rectitude side, I have yet to intentionally practice aquatic frotteuring on any baby harbor seals who wander haplessly into my territory, that being lane 3 of the Sewickley Family YMCA.

All of the above rumination, I should add, is coming from the thalamus and other primitive sections of my brain. My forebrain is shocked, absolutely shocked, to think of such things!

thewookiee
October 23rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
From my POV, this question is backwards. It's really annoying to me when I am the only swimmer in a lane and one person is joining, and they ask to circle.

Why oh why on Earth would someone want to circle? It's so natural to swim straight, so why would someone want to swim in circles?

Not to mention the passing difficulties - and it's usually someone lap swimming at a thrashing slug's pace.

If that is the case, I tell them we can split the lane until a 3rd person joins but with just 2 people, I won't circle.

Maui Mike
October 23rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Don't know if it was because of oxygen deprivation to the brain cuz of too short an interval, or just an effort to combine split lane with circle swimming, but I have (more than once) managed to surface from my turn push off in the neighboring lane and added yet another "confirmed kill notch" to my tanking rep.

swim25
October 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
I was splitting a lane with another person one morning when a lady came into our lane and insisted we circle. I said fine then noticed that there was a lane next to us with only one swimmer. I made the recommendation that she mosey over to the other lane and split with that person, saving us the trouble of ruining our workouts. She refused and told me to go over. :mad:Why insist on circle swimming when you could split, she clearly couldn't hang with our lane. A long story short she told on me to the lifeguards(they told me she wouldn't have been able to keep pace) and stormed out of the pool. 15 minutes later she came back and tried to get in again, fed up and already out of rhythm and focus I ended my workout short and told her she could have the lane. Without saying anything she stormed away and never came back. The next couple of days it just so happened that her and I shared a lane, well that was when I insisted on doing fly and kick sets. There is no point in circle swimming if there are only 2 to a lane and you are doing different workouts.

jim thornton
October 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
All's well in PA. Alas, no be-floatied candy-stripers in lane 3 of the Sewickley Valley Family YMCA today. I plodded along 160 lengths with nary a soul to be molested by or to molest.

I was thinking about Penn Hills swimming just the other day. Did you ever swim here in the Mel Nash era? Seems like he swam for the Suburban Swim Club, which was once (and maybe still is) headquartered somewhere near or on Rodi Road in Penn Hills.

sloswim
October 23rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
In the masters club I swam with, we never circle swam with two per lane, it was always split, until we had a third swimmer come in, then we circled. And of course when we did circle, the swimmers were matched.

I think its normal to split a lane with two than circle especially if you're swimming in a public pool during lap swim times. Fortunately, it hasn't been crowded enough to have three swimmers in a lane.

Chris

Glider
October 23rd, 2008, 07:40 PM
I swam with Mel Nash at Greater Pitt Swim Club on Twin Oaks Drive in Penn Hills (near Plum Boro) when it was coached by Dick Bower. Mel was a good five or six years older than me. We little age groupers pulled a prank or two on good old Mel. GPSC had Mel, Ricky Hoffstetter, Billy Glasstetter, Billy Bower, Scott Root, Reed Slevin, Moochy and Jody Eyles, Kathy Stettler, and a host of awesome swimmers - for the East Coast anyways. We were the tri-state powerhouse along with LEC and CPM.

How is masters swimming in western PA? Seems a little limited...

All's well in PA. Alas, no be-floatied candy-stripers in lane 3 of the Sewickley Valley Family YMCA today. I plodded along 160 lengths with nary a soul to be molested by or to molest.

I was thinking about Penn Hills swimming just the other day. Did you ever swim here in the Mel Nash era? Seems like he swam for the Suburban Swim Club, which was once (and maybe still is) headquartered somewhere near or on Rodi Road in Penn Hills.

swimcat
October 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
it depends who it is. if it is another masters swimmer. i will stagger because if you both swim the same speed, arms and legs fly.
i have been hurt in the past splitting the lane as the lane was not regulation width. i took a paddle to the head.
i have also chopped a few heads swimming fly when i split so i prefer to stagger or circle. )i have a wide wing span.

notsofast
October 24th, 2008, 07:58 AM
it depends who it is. if it is another masters swimmer. i will stagger because if you both swim the same speed, arms and legs fly.
i have been hurt in the past splitting the lane as the lane was not regulation width. i took a paddle to the head.
i have also chopped a few heads swimming fly when i split so i prefer to stagger or circle. )i have a wide wing span.
How does circle swimming makes one less likely to crash into a lane mate?

It seems to me that no matter how you proceed down the lane, you will encounter your lane mate once per length (maybe twice if the other person is a lot faster than you.)

Not being snarky, just trying to understand.

Redbird Alum
October 24th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Not being snarky, just trying to understand.

"Snarky" ?????

That is a new one to me... can you translate?

pwolf66
October 24th, 2008, 09:19 AM
"Snarky" ?????

That is a new one to me... can you translate?

From Websters:

snark·y (snärhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifkhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/emacr.gif)
adj. snark·i·er, snark·i·est Slang Irritable or short-tempered; irascible.

swimcat
October 24th, 2008, 09:32 AM
it doesn't make it less likely. but we have all been in lanes with beginning swimmers or rec swimmers who either kick breaststroke like a prima ballerina(old frog kick ) . the person splitting get the old roundhouse kick in the ribs. if i pass someone short course swimming fly, i will tend to dolphin until i get by then stroke again. also some people recover wide freestyle and when i have split in the past, i got karate chopped in the head.
or i feel i have to HUG the lane line and end up with gashes on my hands and arms. this is probably for me the biggest reason.

Speedo
October 24th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I used to not mind it, but I know dislike splitting. My pointer finger knuckle is now the size of a plum because I tried to hug the lane line a little too close while doing fly. I find I brace myself or overcompensate every time I'm passing/being passed more so than during circle swimming.

2fish&1whale
October 24th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I find myself swimming with older folks who get disoriented just swimming, I would hate to find out what would happen if I asked them to circle.
Lord knows I'll be in their shoes one day, though I will vacate the lap swim area the day I can't produce a semi recognizable stroke.
Some of these people could have 10' wide lanes and they would still swim zig zag or take up 75% of the lane.
I have cut my hands, arms and feet too many times while trying to stay out of the way and after breaking 3 toes this spring
(not swimming, but never mind that) I'm a bit neurotic when it comes to sharing a lane with anyone!
You wanna share? Split 50/50-or go to the open water area.

dadis
October 24th, 2008, 01:03 PM
One time I was splitting a lane with an older gentleman. I was tired and became disoriented after a flip turn. Instead of stopping and checking the situation, I continued swimming and collided with the dude. Hokey Smokes, was he mad...... oops.

pwolf66
October 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I just must be missing something. I see folks worrying about hitting the lane rope and/or the other swimmer when splitting but how is that fear mitigated when circle swimming? It should still be the same number of collision opportunities as lane splitting.

anita
October 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I just must be missing something. I see folks worrying about hitting the lane rope and/or the other swimmer when splitting but how is that fear mitigated when circle swimming? It should still be the same number of collision opportunities as lane splitting.

This is what I was thinking. If anything I have less hitting going on while splitting than when circling because I am more observant of the other person. When I'm circling I'm on auto pilot.

Speedo
October 24th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I think the problem occurs for me when one is passing the other swimming in the same direction. You are alongside the person for 5 or 10 seconds which equates to a number of strokes alongside that person, whereas if you are circling you just need to make sure your hands don't collide during that particular recovery stroke. When splitting the lane and passing going opposite directions it's no bigger deal than circling.

cirobi
October 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I think I would be afraid to circle swim with some of the folks at the pool I go to. I don't mind doing either and adjust as needed since it's an open to everyone, but I do get annoyed when the person splitting with me gets in the way. I've already had someone try to do water walking while I did my workout. Though, most of the people I end up splitting a lane with make frequent stops at the walls, whereas I'll do more distance sets so they tend to stay out of the way when I approach for a turn. Thankfully though, I usually hit the pool at a time when I can get a lane to myself and most people coming in after me will try to match themselves with someone of similar skill or I only have to split the lane for my cool down laps.

Of course, now that I've even dared to mention my luck at obtaining open lanes, I'll have a hard time when I hit the pool tonight! :doh:

daveindc
October 24th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Well, for me, I am used to having to be careful my right arm doesn't hit the lane rope when swimming, but I'm not used to having to watch for the left arm.

2fish&1whale
October 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I think the problem occurs for me when one is passing the other swimming in the same direction. You are alongside the person for 5 or 10 seconds which equates to a number of strokes alongside that person, whereas if you are circling you just need to make sure your hands don't collide during that particular recovery stroke. When splitting the lane and passing going opposite directions it's no bigger deal than circling.
But if the other swimmer/s is slower/faster than you, you'll end up having the very same problem....so unless you can dictate the speed swum in "your" lane, you end up passing or will be passed by faster swimmers all the time.

swimcat
October 25th, 2008, 12:15 PM
had to split today. he was slower but i was next to a lane of 13yr old boys. when they went by, it was hell. i got whacked in the head, kicked under the lane line but they couldn't help it ,they had 4 or 5 to a lane. i noticed my times were slower than if i swim alone . is it the wave factor that adds to time?

Speedo
October 27th, 2008, 03:29 PM
But if the other swimmer/s is slower/faster than you, you'll end up having the very same problem....so unless you can dictate the speed swum in "your" lane, you end up passing or will be passed by faster swimmers all the time.
If there is someone catching me while circle swimming I'll do a flip and hold underwater on the wall until they pass, then push off. No big deal and they don't have to pass while swimming the same direction. When passing while circling you just have to roll the dice about whether the slower swimmer will stop on the wall for you. If not, then you only have to pass going the same direction under that scenario. To each their own; people have been preferring one or the other for decades- I'd rather circle.

ensignada
October 27th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I can't imagine circling when I can split. Only in Hell would circle swimming with 2 per lane be mandatory.

Guvnah
November 11th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Circle swim should be the LAST RESORT.

I like what my YMCA has done. They post rules for lap swimming. And it calls for circle swimming only when there are three or more in the lane. (And our etiquette calls for adding a 3rd to a lane only when all other lap swim lanes have two each.)

And if you are the 3rd to join a lane, it is up to you to stop the other two and let them know you are in there and y'all will be circling.

And if you are going to be the 3rd in a lane, assess all the lanes and get into one where the others are of similar capability/speed. Please, Ms. Manatee, don't try to do your cadaver-float-stroke in my lane.

And they posted circle swim etiquette points, such as STOP AT THE WALL AND LET THE FASTER SWIMMER PASS when he is catching up to you.

They also call for circlers to move at least to the center of the lane when you get to the wall and turn.

But, dudes and dudettes, circle should be the last resort.

aquageek
November 11th, 2008, 09:25 AM
But, dudes and dudettes, circle should be the last resort.

If you've been a swimmer any portion of your life circling is ingrained. I always circle unless there is some set that where my lane mate and I are not doing the same thing (stroke versus free). To me, splitting a lane is a complete hassle. I think splitting is the last resort. It's also not very welcoming. If you are a swimmer, you circle, period. If you are a noodler, you can split or do some other form of lane sharing.

swimcat
November 11th, 2008, 09:36 AM
If you've been a swimmer any portion of your life circling is ingrained. I always circle unless there is some set that where my lane mate and I are not doing the same thing (stroke versus free). To me, splitting a lane is a complete hassle. I think splitting is the last resort. It's also not very welcoming. If you are a swimmer, you circle, period. If you are a noodler, you can split or do some other form of lane sharing.

i have tried every trick in the book when swimming in a pool on vacation(fly, kicking, flailing) to no avail, i always get the slowest rec swimmer or hte one who doesn't want their hair wet- in the lane with me.
out of hAbit, i find myself circling too. however, i got confused in 2000 Worlds warm up when one warm up lane went clockswise and the other counterclockwise.

gobears
November 11th, 2008, 09:58 AM

That's not true for me. I was a swimmer through college and I always prefer to split the lane. We split the lane often in practice in college so we would swim straight up and down and not tend to circle in races. It's WAY too annoying to circle when doing different work-outs. Do you enjoy circling with someone who's primarily kicking when you are trying to do speedwork? Splitting, when possible, is the only way to go IMHO.

aquageek
November 11th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Do you enjoy circling with someone who's primarily kicking when you are trying to do speedwork?

Um, no, which is why I said we split if doing different stuff within a set. I guess if you always split it's fine but going back and forth gets me confused. Plus, our team circles 95% of the time.

The Fortress
November 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I have never done circle swimming at a rec pool, and have no plans to ever do so.

It would be unbelievably frustrating and annoying. I'd be plowing over/into people constantly with the amount I do backstroke ... No thanks.

Typhoons Coach
November 11th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I have never done circle swimming at a rec pool, and have no plans to ever do so.

It would be unbelievably frustrating and annoying. I'd be plowing over/into people constantly with the amount I do backstroke ... No thanks.

If there are only two people in the lane I completely agree! There is no reason for me to keep passing someone time and time again or waiting for that person if we are nearing the end of the lane...

gobears
November 11th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Um, no, which is why I said we split if doing different stuff within a set. I guess if you always split it's fine but going back and forth gets me confused. Plus, our team circles 95% of the time.

The thread topic was about rec swimming, not team swimming. I think most teams have to circle due to space issues. I was just saying that having been a swimmer for a long time doesn't immediately translate into needing to circle when rec swimming.

inflictfreedom
November 11th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I always split if I can, it's more comfortable for me. In fact, i'll wait (if the lanes are full) so that I can split. I don't want to have to worry about annoying someone if i'm much slower than they are. If i'm mid set and a third jumps in, then i'll circle ... figure they've scoped the lanes a bit and are (hopefully) at a similar level.

I've learned to make sure that if I'm sharing a lane that we both know what we're doing. rec swimmers almost always split by default, but if you jump in with someone who usually swims on a team, they have a tendency to circle. A little pre swim conference is a good way to avoid a bruised head.

notsofast
November 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I'm closer to a lap swimmer than a master's swimmer, and I prefer to split the lane, regardless of whether the lane mate is faster or slower than me. It is easier to understand the idea and easier to do.

Granted, once you have swum literally thousands of miles in a circle, that will seem easier. Remember most lap/rec swimmers have never practiced the way you do.

And frankly, it's intimidating enough swimming with someone way faster than you without having it emphasized by them lapping you every 90 seconds.

inflictfreedom
November 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM
And frankly, it's intimidating enough swimming with someone way faster than you without having it emphasized by them lapping you every 90 seconds.

Exactly, it would throw Ben Bloom into a spin ... his poor learning levels al out of whack.

srcoyote
November 12th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Granted, once you have swum literally thousands of miles in a circle, that will seem easier.

I wouldn't cede that point so quickly. Teams have to circle swim due to the number of bodies, but at least they practice together daily so they are divided by speed and a limited number of passes occur. At rec pools, we aren't divided that way, and even if we have a routine, the mix of summers varies almost daily.

I circle swam for years on a club team, but much prefer to split in a rec pool where there is no guage on speed. Even the more savvy Y's that have posted speeds for lanes present confusing situations. At a Y in Chicago, I was the fastest in the pool, but at a pool in Arlington VA, I was doing good to keep up with the moderate folks so choosing a lane is guesswork. Fortunately, at my home Y, splitting is only occasionally needed so when it happens, I choose the courteous route and never swim fly or use paddles, and I stagger kick sets to minimize waves.

Mary1912
November 12th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I agree.I spent years circle swimming and while I'm just a lap swimmer at the moment, I prefer to split the lane. I am about middle speed compared to the lap swimmers that do come and swim (some days I am the fastest and that ain't sayin' much, believe me).

I always split if possible or I'd be lapping people or they'd be lapping me.

Leonard Jansen
November 12th, 2008, 11:06 AM
In the "making lemonade from lemons" category:
Lap swimming with slower swimmers can actually be a great long-distance fartlek workout if the slower swimmers will go along with it. Occasionally, when this happens and I am in with people who know me, I will ask that they not stop at the walls to let me by, but to let me pass in the middle of the pool. It forces me to pay attention to who is where and sprint pretty hard to get by. Since I hate speedwork, it is a pretty painless way to do it.

I think it's a great workout for open water race prep.

-LBJ

srcoyote
November 12th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Oh, and one more thing. . .

While I, too, prefer the ease of having a lane to myself, I don't get upset when I have to share. Pools are expensive to maintain, and if usage is low, that pool is in danger. I'll gladly split or circle if it means my pool stays open, healthy, and convenient.

thewookiee
November 12th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Why can't rec. swimmers wait on the wall, until the person in the lane knows he/she is there to swim? I get run into more often than not by a rec. swimmer who doesn't know to wait until the person/persons in the lane know they are there...geezz

Gerald
November 13th, 2008, 06:14 AM
In the "making lemonade from lemons" category:
Lap swimming with slower swimmers can actually be a great long-distance fartlek workout if the slower swimmers will go along with it. Occasionally, when this happens and I am in with people who know me, I will ask that they not stop at the walls to let me by, but to let me pass in the middle of the pool. It forces me to pay attention to who is where and sprint pretty hard to get by. Since I hate speedwork, it is a pretty painless way to do it.

I think it's a great workout for open water race prep.

-LBJ

That was absolutely confirmed by the experience I made when I prepared for the 24 hour swim in Radkersburg/Austria (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=12496) last month. I was tempted to quit my training sessions in the pool because at times it was so annoying not te be able to keep my pace and my rhythm. I tried to continue to swim without murmuring and grumbling and was greatly rewarded. Every time I had to bypass a slow swimmer (especially a breaststroke swimmer) I was forced to speed up to prevent a head-on collision with somebody coming from the opposite direction, which I thought was very annoying! Anyway, I didn't enjoy the workout as I should have, not knowing that this situation provided the perfect training-conditions for the race. As a matter of fact, I improved my personal best (distance covered within 24 hours) by 150%!

By the way, the conditions during the race were not "better" compared to my training: 90 solo swimmers and 78 relay swimmers divided among 8 lanes can sometimes cause quite a jostle. The neccessity to change my pace frequently in order to overtake slower swimmers helped me to overcome the monotony that I was confronted with while swimming more than 600 laps.

BTW: "fartlek" not to be mixed up with "fart let" :)

@LBJ: I am greatly motivated by your comment, because it helps me to change my attitude towards long training sessions in the pool that I didn't handle quite well until now: if I couldn't find "enough" room, I chose the easy way out, ie not to train at all.

cheers
Gerald

Leonard Jansen
November 13th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Every time I had to bypass a slow swimmer (especially a breaststroke swimmer) I was forced to speed up to prevent a head-on collision

BTW, proper etiquette when passing a breaststoke (a.k.a. evilstroke) swimmer is to do a very wide arm recovery and give them a solid smack to the side of the head in hopes that this will reset their brain and make them swim properly (i.e. freestyle).

By the way, the conditions during the race were not "better" compared to my training: 90 solo swimmers and 78 relay swimmers divided among 8 lanes can sometimes cause quite a jostle.

Dear God... I hope that it was a 50 meter pool. Still hard to fathom even then.

@LBJ: I am greatly motivated by your comment, because it helps me to change my attitude towards long training sessions in the pool that I didn't handle quite well until now: if I couldn't find "enough" room, I chose the easy way out, ie not to train at all.

Great! Your description of the 24 hr race has greatly motivated me to set up a campaign of whining and begging so that my wife will let me go to the one next year. If she doesn't stab me to death in my sleep in the meantime, we can meet up then.

-LBJ

Guvnah
November 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM

I've been a competitive swimmer 80% of my life.

I guess we all have different life experiences.

For me, SPLIT has always been the norm until a third person joins.

I'll grant you this: In most team workout situations, there are generally more than two per lane.

The question in the thread here as I understand it pertains to things like YMCAs when there is just general open lap swim, not in a team workout context.

Gerald
November 14th, 2008, 05:17 AM
BTW, proper etiquette when passing a breaststoke (a.k.a. evilstroke) swimmer is to do a very wide arm recovery and give them a solid smack to the side of the head in hopes that this will reset their brain and make them swim properly (i.e. freestyle).
-LBJ

Unfortunately among lapswimmers free-stylers are not separated from strokers here in Austria. It will take a paradigm shift to change that.

Dear God... I hope that it was a 50 meter pool. Still hard to fathom even then.
-LBJ

It was a 50 meter pool. In the comp I did 626 (50 meter) laps and only once I bumped into another swimmer. BTW: The laps were counted by a chip that I had to wear on my wrist, so I didn't need to bother counting my laps. :). Overall the atmosphere was relaxed and peaceful, and I was kind of praying that everybody in my lane would reach the goal that he/she pursued, or would make it even beyond. That kind of attitude gave me a peace of mind and helped me to focus my strenght on the swim.

Great! Your description of the 24 hr race has greatly motivated me to set up a campaign of whining and begging so that my wife will let me go to the one next year. If she doesn't stab me to death in my sleep in the meantime, we can meet up then.
-LBJ

I would greatly encourage you to come. Don't be worried about the packed pool, the atmosphere is great and the number of participants is limited, so make sure to register early enough. The swimmers, the staff of the swimming pool, the visitors .. all were friendly and helpful and contributed to make the race an enjoyable one.

cheers
Gerald

NotVeryFast
November 15th, 2008, 08:31 AM
It's interesting that in the US the norm seems to be to split the lane. In the UK, the norm is to always circle, with each lane having a sign showing the direction to swim, alternating each lane. I always circle even when I am the only person in the lane, unless there is another completely empty lane in which case I will swim straight up and down. My logic is that if there is an empty lane, anybody entering the pool will go into that lane rather than coming into the lane I'm in. If every other lane has someone in, I circle because there is a danger that someone will get in behind me and start frantically sprinting one length, then I'll turn and push off straight into a head on collision. Same with two people in the lane - splitting it is far too risky because a third person can enter the lane behind you after you've pushed off and again you have a head on collision when you turn. There are far too many people at my health club who like to get in the pool after having been in the gym, just to swim one or two frantic lengths then get out again.

Even with these precautions, I've still had occasions where someone has got into the same lane as me despite me being the only person in the whole pool.

Blackbeard's Peg
November 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM
At one local recreational watering hole, it was discovered that when I and my blue muppeted training partner would circle swim, if all other lanes also had two people, our lane was always the first to inherit a 3rd swimmer, despite the fact that our lane was by FAR the quickest in the pool. We figured they saw circlers, and figured that either no one else was smart enough to know how to circle swim, or that when they looked at the lane and saw both of us travelling on the same side, they thought "Hey, lots of open space!"

So we started splitting our lane, but still going 5-10 sec apart, and we were almost never approached unless the place got packed. I found it fairly selfish to do that, but given the alternative (running over people, confrontations - which happened), it was the probably the best for all involved.

The facility labeled their lanes slow, medium and fast, and we would always jump in the fast lane, but would often arrive to find Ms Manatee (as described in posts above) in said lane. The one time we confronted the lifeguards about it, they refused to enforce the rule, even going one step further and refused to admit that they had put the "fast" cone outside the lane.

inflictfreedom
November 17th, 2008, 06:06 PM
At one local recreational watering hole, it was discovered that when I and my blue muppeted training partner would circle swim, if all other lanes also had two people, our lane was always the first to inherit a 3rd swimmer, despite the fact that our lane was by FAR the quickest in the pool. We figured they saw circlers, and figured that either no one else was smart enough to know how to circle swim, or that when they looked at the lane and saw both of us travelling on the same side, they thought "Hey, lots of open space!"

So we started splitting our lane, but still going 5-10 sec apart, and we were almost never approached unless the place got packed. I found it fairly selfish to do that, but given the alternative (running over people, confrontations - which happened), it was the probably the best for all involved.

Good point ... people who circle swim are probably more approachable and welcoming for people trying to enter a lane, if you split ... you have to stop someone's routine to invite them to circle with you, can be intimidating I suppose.

aztimm
November 17th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Some people get over-obsessed with splitting if there are just 2 swimmers. We had a very light turnout this morning, and was just me and other guy in the lane. But it was an IM set (when I do non-free I'm all over the lane). He asked about splitting, and I said yes--as long as we're not going together. He reluctantly agreed.

Turned out he either did some freestyle, or his arms were very high on his breaststroke. Eventually, I was able to get my own lane, which was great. Although we were staggered, I still stayed close to a lane line and hit it a few times on both fly and back.

srcoyote
November 18th, 2008, 01:20 PM
As to the collisions: why would anyone just jump in, assume the other person knows there in and start swimming?!

If I'm joining a lane, whether there's one other person or two other people, I sit and stick my feet in a corner of the lane and leave them there until everyone's cycled by and seen my feet. If that means we're splitting, the swimmer knows the side I intend to take. If that means we must now circle, the splitting swimmers figure that out, too.

I'm not the only one. It's the common practice at my pool.

thewookiee
November 18th, 2008, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=srcoyote;160664]As to the collisions: why would anyone just jump in, assume the other person knows there in and start swimming?!

QUOTE]

Because common sense alludes people.

The Fortress
November 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Today, I was swimming at my rec pool with one person per lane. I was kicking with my monofin. A mother came in with her blind daughter and wanted her to share my lane. She looked utterly bewildered when I explained this was not a good idea ...

thewookiee
November 18th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Today, I was swimming at my rec pool with one person per lane. I was kicking with my monofin. A mother came in with her blind daughter and wanted her to share my lane. She looked utterly bewildered when I explained this was not a good idea ...

Fort- see above post for the answer.