PDA

View Full Version : Zura Alpha v HydroFinz - anyone used both?

blueshadow
October 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
I was going to get a set of fins for training and have been reading through posts on this website and other places on the internet. Based on what I read, I'm going to focus on the Zura Alphas and HydroFinz.

Has anyone used both? Pro's / con's? The Hydro's are also about $10 - 15 more than the Alphas

blueshadow
October 24th, 2008, 06:16 PM
So I bit the bullet and bought the Zura - nice and lightweight.

I just tried them out and thought that they had a different feel than the longer rubber fins I tried this week.

A couple of observations - is this consistent with other's experience?

+ They definitely added speed to my swim but not nearly as much as the rubber fins
+ I tried them with a dolphin kick and they didn't seem to smooth out the kick as much as the rubber fins
+ My ankles are sore after using them - I don't remember this with the rubber fins

I would appreciate hearing others experience!

Rykno
October 25th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I have the speedo speed fins.

I found them to work my quads more than regular rubber fins. instead of just kick up and down, I actually had to work to keep my feet together. with the curve of the fin, my feet just wanted to seperate.

I think it will just take some getting use to, maybe the same thing with your new fins.

http://www.metroswimshop.com/images/7530259_135.jpg

where on your feet do they hurt? could it be they are too tight?, too big? or is it like dancing in new dress shoes.....

blueshadow
October 26th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Rykno -

My ankles hurt in the front part - I am wondering if I was trying to point my toes too much and stretched a muscle or something? It was a bit tender the next day but not too bad...

As you said, the zura's may take some getting used to - I was just surprised that the rubber fins were more intuitive and didn't affect my ankles. I'm going to try the zura fins more this week and see how it goes..

slowfish
October 28th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I have a question about the sizing of the Zuras. I wear a woman's 7.5. The smalls are 6-7 and the meds are 8-9. Would it be better to go with a bit snug or a bit big?

Thanks

norascats
November 1st, 2008, 06:04 PM
I have a question about the sizing of the Zuras. I wear a woman's 7.5. The smalls are 6-7 and the meds are 8-9. Would it be better to go with a bit snug or a bit big?

Thanks
Are they sized in men's sizes or do they also come in womens? When I wear flippers, I wear one size smaller because they are men's sizes

slowfish
November 2nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
hmm... you select just size so it sounds they are generic. but this is how they are supposed to fit. Sounds like a S would be a safe bet cause i can wear a mens 6. but a women's 8 is usually a bit big.

Size Men Women
XS 4 - 5 6 - 7
S 6 - 7 8 - 9
M 8 - 9 10 - 11
L 10 - 11 12 - 13
XL 12 - 13

jgale
February 17th, 2009, 04:15 PM
This may be a little late. I have tried a variety of swim fins and generally prefers the Zura Alphas. They are light, comfortable, and fit me well. I have a narrow size 9-1/2 foot and wear the mediums. Members of our masters group wear different models and we swap around to see what works. I also have a pair of the older blue zoomers, which are ok. I switch back and forth between them. I do find that the zoomers stretch out a bit. When I bought them, I tried the regular zoomer and the zoomer Z2s. I didn't notice that much of a difference.

I have tried a friend's pair of Hydrofinz and I didn't like them. They run a little wide and are heavy. The same wass true of the Speedo Speed fins. They aren't so wide but they are heavy.

Many of the swimmers in our group like the PDF fins because they can do breastroke in them. Our coach likes them a lot as well and recommends them. They seem ok to me but I find the Alphas and zoomers more comfortable.