PDA

View Full Version : new "wanabe marathon swimmer"...

babyfish
October 24th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I am new to running, im doing a Santa Shuffle in Dec and just a 5K. However very proud! In June 2009, a friend a mine are doing a 10-12 hr swim in Lake Simcoe to raise $25,000 for the organization we work for and to raise awareness for Deafblindness.
I don't really know where to start or how to begin training......
I am obvisously going to keep run trainning, how what to do to swim? I've been a swimmer all my life, so I'm not new to the water. Right now I could swim just shy of 2 hours. Where do i go from here, should i mostly be trainning in the water, does running still count???
What about a program??
HELP!
:fish2:

norascats
October 25th, 2008, 06:24 PM
If you want that kind of time, you'll have to slow your stroke down to an easy pace and work on relaxing into it. The key is to relax. there's a big difference between 2 hours and 12 hours.
Good luck

ourswimmer
October 25th, 2008, 11:52 PM
If you are serious about wanting to do a 10-12h swim, and if your time for working out is at all limited, it is not at all obvious to me that you should spend even one minute any day running unless you happen to be late to your swim.

I would suggest that you consult a real-life coach who's trained people for English Channel swims, and start talking to real-life people who have done swims that long. You might also consult books or websites that have information about how to train for an English Channel swim, and of course those websites might lead you to a coach. Penny Dean's book about open water swimming is the only one that I am personally familiar with.

geochuck
October 26th, 2008, 07:11 AM
It is a good choice to swim in Lake Simcoe it is a nice warm lake to swim in during the summer. Depending where you do you swimming from it cat kick up some choppy waves.

I like the one, two, three hour swims trainig sessions. The one and two hours twice a day.

When getting ready I used to occassionally do a 6 hr swim. It is all in setting a swim pace.