PDA

View Full Version : Can I Have Breaststroke Power with Hi-Arched Feet?

Kurt
October 24th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Can anyone help?

I'm a 50 yr old male masters swimmer and I think my breaststroke speed is being severely limited by my size 9.5, very high-arched feet and that during the propulsive phase of the kick, my feet cannot catch and hold on to much water as the high-arch reduces the flat surface area with which to catch and hold water.

What do you think about the benefit of having flat feet for breaststroke?

If there is a benefit, how many seconds do you think would be gained with flat feet versus high-arched feet in a 100m breasstroke (all other factors being the same)?

I cannot seem to get below a 1:29.50 and I seem to be very front-end focused.

Would love to hear your comments and suggestions!

Thanks!
Kurt :confused:

Glider
October 24th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Actually, you may have an advantage. Think of how a propeller blade is constructed and how it catches water and how a whip kick works in a similar manner to catch water. Just a thought...

Can anyone help?

I'm a 50 yr old male masters swimmer and I think my breaststroke speed is being severely limited by my size 9.5, very high-arched feet and that during the propulsive phase of the kick, my feet cannot catch and hold on to much water as the high-arch reduces the flat surface area with which to catch and hold water.

If there is a benefit, how many seconds do you think would be gained with flat feet versus high-arched feet in a 100m breasstroke (all other factors being the same)?

Thanks!

Allen Stark
October 25th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I suspect arch height has very little effect.The more important question is how far can you externally rotate your feet and ankles.Ideally you should have your toes pointing at the side of the pool when you begin your kick.
Kurt,can you post a video of your stroke?Maybe we could see some ways to make it faster.

JimRude
October 25th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Rubbish. I have very high arches, and I'm no slouch at breast. To which Chevy Chase replies, "Don't sell your self short, Jim - you're a tremendous slouch!"

ViveBene
October 25th, 2008, 09:37 PM
High arches (and high insteps) here. BR is my best stroke.

VB

Kurt
October 26th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks Glider, Allen Stark, JimRude, and ViveBene for your comments.

I'm thinking of buying a "flip" video recorder http://www.theflip.com/ with their underwater case and then filiming some of my strokes. But it will be a few weeks at least I think. Hopefully I can get some clips uploaded for your comments.

What do you guys think about the breaststroke fins?

Has any one used them?

Do you think they will help on getting more flexibility and foot rotation for the catch?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts as I am thinking of buying a pair is they have even just some benefit.

Thanks!
Kurt :D

Thrashing Slug
October 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I have high arches, and breaststroke is my best kick. It's faster than my flutter kick and dolphin.