PDA

View Full Version : Swim Camp!

elise526
October 28th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Anybody go to swim camp growing up? I remember going to the University of Virginia Swim Camp. I went three years and had a different coach each year. I'll never forget Coach Bernadino. He truly inspired me.

Typhoons Coach
October 28th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Anybody go to swim camp growing up? I remember going to the University of Virginia Swim Camp. I went three years and had a different coach each year. I'll never forget Coach Bernadino. He truly inspired me.

No swim camps growing up, unfortunately. The focus was primarily football camps at the time.

USMSarah
October 28th, 2008, 10:42 PM
One. It was awesome, wish I had gone to more.

david.margrave
October 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Three camps. 1982 Montana State, Brian Goodell and Ron Ballatore were there. 1983 & 1984, University of Nebraska, Cal Bentz was head coach but Kevin Weldon did most of the coaching of the camp kids.

anita
October 29th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Attended one at Pepperdine University in Malibu, CA. Came away with an awesome tan!

Donna
October 29th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Went to 2 one was Charles Silva's camp and the other was Doc Councilman '79. Learned alot at both and had a great time.

Lump
October 29th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Several: UGA with Jack Buerle and Harvey Humpries. Other Sr. Development camps in Orlando. At Dynamo we did a lot of trip to altitude and also to train with other teams....Etobicoke, Bolles School, etc.

PJElder
October 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I never went to swim camp, but I am trying to convince my wife to go to www.swimvacation.com (http://www.swimvacation.com) sometime. Looks like a cool trip. As long as the Champagne is flowing freely with open bar, she won't care what I am doing :)

PJE

SwimRobin
October 29th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Doc Counsilman's swim camp at Indiana University, approximately 1980.

Lump
October 29th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I never went to swim camp, but I am trying to convince my wife to go to www.swimvacation.com (http://www.swimvacation.com) sometime. Looks like a cool trip. As long as the Champagne is flowing freely with open bar, she won't care what I am doing :)

PJE

That looks awesome!

alphadog
October 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I went to Longhorn Swim Camp in '82. They allowed a few of us to work out with the college guys. I remember getting in the breaststroke lane with Nick Nevid and getting completely used on a kicking set (among other things(I don't even think he was tryiing)). I also remember making 10 X 100s on 1:00 for the first time because Eddie Reese said to do it (he was a legend even back then) It was a humbling, yet inspirational experience.

thewookiee
October 29th, 2008, 01:53 PM
UT(the real one) w/ Ray Bussard in the late 80's. ut(the other one) under Longhorn, Wolverine with Jim Richardson.

In about 2 weeks, I am doing an adult master's camp with David Marsh and Kerry O'Brein(sp?) in Charlotte.

knelson
October 29th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I went to the swim camp at Camp Tanuga in Kalkaska, Michigan one summer when I was about 12. It was a lot of fun, but the down side was the swim camp portion was just a subset of the camp. The vast majority of the campers weren't there for swimming. It kind of sucked to have to swim twice a day when the other campers got to do other traditional camp activities. The swimmers got to do all that stuff, too, just not quite as much.

Midas
October 29th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I went to John Trembley's camp at Mercersburg Academy back in the mid to late 80's a couple of times. It was interesting. The first year or so the emphasis was on getting your arse kicked by double workouts and it later evolved into more heavily technique-oriented clinic. I had a great time. Coach Trembley is a fantastic story teller (and, completely unrelated, had the most muscular calves I've ever seen). Mercersburg is a real throwback of a town (or it was in the 80s). We used to go into town and buy coke that came in re-usable bottles (something I had never seen before and never seen since). It tasted awesome.

In fact, it looks like he still does it. http://www.mercersburg.edu/summer_programs/sports_camps/more_sports_camps/United_Swimming_Clinics.asp

FlyQueen
October 29th, 2008, 03:12 PM
UT(the real one) w/ Ray Bussard in the late 80's. ut(the other one) under Longhorn, Wolverine with Jim Richardson.

In about 2 weeks, I am doing an adult master's camp with David Marsh and Kerry O'Brein(sp?) in Charlotte.

Kerry is fantastic! (It's O'Brien) I'm thinking of doing his camp at Walnut Creek in March.

Michelina
October 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I was chosen to attend the White (1st Select Camp, past years has been called Bronze), Silver, Gold, and Eagle Select Camps at the Olympic Training Center as an age grouper. Each one was filled with new seminars, different challenges in the swim tank, and training at high altitude was a good experience seeing I was from So Cal. Not to mention all the people I got to meet over the years is priceless.

thewookiee
October 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Kerry is fantastic! (It's O'Brien) I'm thinking of doing his camp at Walnut Creek in March.

Why not come to Charlotte for 2 days? Geek will be there as well. You get Kerry and David

knelson
October 29th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Is there any info on the web about the camp?

jim clemmons
October 29th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Kirk,

Wasn't sure which camp you're referring to but here's the 2008 info for the Walnut Creek camp. I'm certain the '09 camp will mirror this - perhaps some difference in coaching staff. It's currently scheduled for the first weekend (Fri nite-Sun) in March if I remember correctly. If not, it's a weekend away, either before or afterwards.

http://www.teamunify.com/EventShow.jsp?returnPage=%2FEventsPast.jsp&id=5620&team=wcm

The WCM home page is www.swim4wc.org and the file is in the "photo" section.

I've been to four of them in the past 9 years and come away enlightened each time. Great return on your investment.

thewookiee
October 29th, 2008, 03:51 PM

The one in Charlotte? Send me a PM if you are interested.

knelson
October 29th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I was interested in the WCM camp, but I'm also curious about the Charlotte one. There's no way I could make it this year, but still interested in the details.

Doug Adamavich
October 29th, 2008, 05:00 PM
No swim camps. Instead we would do one big travel meet a year, usually Omaha or Schraeder (Brown Deer, WI).

My college had one during the summer but I never attended it.

FlyQueen
October 29th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Why not come to Charlotte for 2 days? Geek will be there as well. You get Kerry and David

Is it an annual thing? I couldn't do it in two weeks, but maybe next year. That would be amazing!!!