PDA

View Full Version : List Your TOP Focus Points - All Strokes, Starts, Turns!

Kurt
October 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Hello to ALL !

I think we might all really benefit from a large-scale collective exchange of our personal treasure troves of time-tested "focus points" for all strokes, turns, starts, and pre-swim/pre-race preparations.

Maybe we can all cut-n-paste these lists for our own future reference. I will try a few categories to start.

Looking forward to your participation!

Freestyle:
1. train flutter kick aerobically (500y sets twice weekly)
2. breath every stroke on 100y races and higher (except breakout/finish)
3. use side SDK to transition to break-out (on turns)
4. stretch ankles at home (really helps)

Breaststroke:
1. breath late (as hands just start to shoot ahead
2. train 25 sprints with pull buoy (no kicking)
3. train this stroke towards end of workout (to avoid knee injury)

Butterfly:
1. enter hands slightly wider than shoulders (any closer is wasted energy)
2. round-off hand-exit at hips (to aid arm receovery)
3. use side SDK to transition to break-out (on turns)

Pre-Race Ideas:
1. do several near-race-pace sprints 20-30 minutes before any sprint race to get the muscles and heart/lungs primed for racing (this is the trend)
2. have a good bowel movement before racing (really helps!)
3. use the Phelps "double swim cap" method (minimizes goggle issues)

to be continued.........

:D

knelson
October 29th, 2008, 06:34 PM

I don't think this is enough and it shouldn't be aerobic. Lots of masters like 'social kicks' but I doubt they do much for you. Hard kicking is what's going to give dividends.

Here's a focus point:
- in fly make sure your head goes in the water (after the breath) before your arms.

FlyQueen
October 29th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Freestyle:

:D

I'm with KNelson that really isn't much. This summer I kicked every day and once or twice a week I would do an all kick workout of 1200+ meters. I did 200s/100s/50s/25s - aerobically, fast, and in between. I kicked my arse off. It was my third stroke (I don't train much back or breast). I did tons of fly kick and free kick.

As a result of the fly kick my walls have gotten better - it's easier to kick further faster off of turns.

Kurt
October 29th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Sorry guys, I guess I should have written in more detail, but the "focus point" format does not really allow for much elaboration.

The 500y flutter kick sets are "in addition to" any other kick sets performed during the week.

As you well know, most kick sets are training the leg muscles for "power" not for endurance and so this is indeed an aspect of kicking which is most often overlooked and under-trained.

Training the legs exclusively for power with no aerobic conditioning (of the legs) will give you exactly that, and only that.

If using whole stroke swimming as an analogy, it would be like training for 100m free only doing 100m free swims. Yes, you would develop great power, but without any additional aerobic/threshold-type training for added support, you will also not finish that race as fast as is possible.

Legs are no different (in my humble opinion) and so should also have "some" aerobic training.

Allen Stark
November 1st, 2008, 01:37 PM
BR-Head in neutral position at all times.
Start each stroke with your biceps squeezing your ears
kick goes from kicking your rear to touching your ankles
kick back not out.
accelerate all through the pull,into the recovery

Allen Stark
November 1st, 2008, 09:53 PM
BR/Fly turns
"elbow the burglar,call the cops"(lead with your elbow,bring the trailing hand by your ear.)
spin like a wheel,don't twist like a screw

sarge
November 1st, 2008, 10:17 PM
I think you can see where my priorities lie and that I only really "compete" in open water.

Freestyle:
Do it in a straight line.
Be able to breath on either side.
Looking up to see where I'm going without interrupting my stroke
Lower stroke count

Breaststroke
Glide
Transition to and from freestyle easily
Not hyperextend my neck
Be able to use it as a resting stroke.

Backstroke
Be able to do it when the coach says to to a 100 IM.
Not get run over by the old ladies who share my lane and excel at backstroke.

Butterfly
Look good while doing it.
Not get my hands caught in the lane lines.