PDA

View Full Version : One Hour Postal

Concho Pearl
November 4th, 2008, 11:39 PM
How do you train for the one hour postal?

Currently I swim about 2100 - 2200yds 4 -days a week - 3 days coached w/ age group kids
1 day same yardage but not coached.

I'm thinking about staying late during my coached days and swim an extra 500 -1000 yds after practice. My thinking is this extra yardage is about what I can do to be able to get home and get dinner on the table. Then increase my 1 day not coached to about 3000 yds and do more distance swims. My personal goal is to do any where from 4200 - 4500 in the postal.

imspoiled
November 6th, 2008, 10:32 AM
How do you train for the one hour postal?

Like anything else, there's more than one right answer.
The team I'm currently training with does a series of swims (at different workouts throughout the month) starting in October as follows:

Oct: 15 minute swim, count yardage fro average 100 pace.
Sets of 100's using your average 100 pace +5, until the interval is missed.

Nov: 30 minute swim, count yardage for average 100 pace. Same 100 sets as above, using the new 100 pace +5-10 sec (hopefully, the same or faster as previous month).

Dec: 45 minute swim, same as above. 100s same as above.

Jan: 1-hour postal swim.

To make it fun, there's a contest for people who make it to practice for all four of the long swims. The swimmer who is closest to their average yardage gets a prize (i.e. swimmer does 4000 yds for the 1-hour swim. If averaged 1000 yds per 15 minutes in the other three practice swims, you are right on target and get a prize).

anita
November 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I like the above answer--going more yardage gradually.
I'm doing my first 1 hour Postal in January as well so I was anxious to see any advice.
I have done 2 30-minute swims, two weeks apart. The second one was today and I added on another 125 compared to the first so I was happy.
I guess next up is a 45 minute swim.

CreamPuff
December 28th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Who is doing this in January?
I really hope it goes better for me this time around. . .
I rank this event 2nd in difficulty/ pain after the 25K OW swim I did.

Anyone doing it as a group or team?

Some pitfalls to think about (and I know they have been discussed on other threads). . . hydrate and fuel properly before the swim (beginning a couple of days prior). . .

Don't take it out too fast! 1 hr is a LONG time to swim at a quick clip.

Don't think you can train for it at this point.

Anyone swim this event at a quick pace. . . say 1:10 per 100 or faster - AND you felt fine afterward? I hope to feel better at the end this time around!

aquageek
December 28th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Our team is doing it. We did T30 in Nov and T45 in Dec in prep for the grand finale. I also did the 3K USMS in Nov. The physical part is bad enough but the mental aspect is what gets me. For me the key is starting out slower than you can possibly imagine.

CreamPuff
December 28th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Our team is doing it. We did T30 in Nov and T45 in Dec in prep for the grand finale. I also did the 3K USMS in Nov. The physical part is bad enough but the mental aspect is what gets me. For me the key is starting out slower than you can possibly imagine.

Wow! Wish the masters teams in my area did all that! Sounds like you've had some great preparation! Physical AND mental can get to me . . . I'm planning to take it out mod fast like I did two years ago and see if I'm in better shape to hold on. . . ha ha. What kind of suit are you wearing?

elise526
December 28th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I think all masters swimmers should do it at least once during their lifetime, even pure sprinters (like myself). Before doing the hour swim in 2002, I could count on two hands the number of times IN MY LIFE that I had done a swim race over 200 yards in the pool. I had never done a 1,000 or 1,650 race in a pool, ever. Somehow I escaped the requisite 1,000 yard swim for all freshman swimmers during college.

In any case, I prepared for it by doing sets of 500s, 600s, and 800s. During the actual one hour swim, I stopped at each 1,000 yards for 15 to 30 seconds to take a drink of gatorade as I dehydrate really easily. The rest I did take was included on the one hour swim, so I knew I was losing yardage by taking breaks, but I didn't want any leg cramps. I ended up doing 4,650 yards which is not a big deal but I thought it was o.k. given that I am a pure sprinter.

Good luck! It is a great feeling when you finish it!

aquageek
December 28th, 2008, 02:52 PM
What kind of suit are you wearing?

Now that is a good question. I would like some input on this. I bought a FS Pro Legskin, which I planned to wear in a meet at the end of Jan. However, I am tempted to wear it for the one hour. Is that a good idea? Can I damage the thing (beyond normal wear and tear) by wearing for the one hour? What say you, o' wise tech suit veterans?

I've trained both ways for these types of swims (long sets versus just flat boring long swims). Long set repeats are good but you have to have at least a few long boring swims to get your head around it, my opinion only. (S)he-Puff's experience vastly trumps mine on this.

CreamPuff
December 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Elise, great job on your 4650 yards. That's very good for a sprinter or distance swimmer.

Geek, I have yet to do this swim in anything other than a speedo poly. However, this year, I'm thinking about wearing something other than a drag suit. I would expect your FS to get beaten up (worn out a bit) by this swim. Not sure I want to wear a B70. I can hardly stand that thing for the mile swim. I may shoot for using an old FSII or old B70. Leaning more towards the FSII as I feel I have more range of motion in it . . . I do think it would be a huge disadvantage to not wear a tech suit of some sort for this swim.

I train on occasion with the Swim Atlanta national distance group. I'll do a few more of their distance workouts this week as a final push. Then it will be back to SR I/ Mid Distance the week or two before the postal.

2fish&1whale
December 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I am debating if I should give it a go this year and would truly appreciate some feedback...
I do not swim freestyle-am I crazy for attempting to swim this all breast stroke?
I usually swim 250- 1000y sets of BR and on average 3000y per workout, so I'm thinking that with 2-4 brief gatorade stops I can make it through 1 hour.
Speed would obviously not be my goal, just making it to the end without giving up would be fine by me.....

The Fortress
December 28th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I think all masters swimmers should do it at least once during their lifetime, even pure sprinters (like myself). In any case, I prepared for it by doing sets of 500s, 600s, and 800s.

Ack, why? What is the benefit? And if I had to start swimming 500s, 600s, and 800s in practice , my shoulder would fall off. :afraid: And the training would be positively detrimental to my sprinting. No thanks. My team does the Postal, though, so I will watch and applaud from another lane.

As for suits, I don't think I'd wear a brand new Pro in an hour postal. Too much chlorine time and flipping for the delicate fabric. I'm not sure I'd wear an "old" FS II either. My experience with the FS IIs is that, when they wear out and lose their water repellancy, they absorb water rapidly and become a heavy dead weight. So, if the suit is really worn out, it could be counter-productive. A new FS II or an old Pro or old B70 seems better, though I can certainly see how the B70 might be uncomfortable to swim in for an entire hour unless it had really stretched out.

knelson
December 28th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Anyone swim this event at a quick pace. . . say 1:10 per 100 or faster - AND you felt fine afterward?

Not yet, but maybe this year! :)

Last year I actually felt pretty good, but the pool was set up long course I swam it in. I think that made it slightly less fatiguing overall, but obviously didn't help the yardage total. All those turns take it out of you! I'd like to do it this year, but don't really have any definite plans yet.

Couroboros
December 28th, 2008, 05:27 PM
"One Hour Postal"

Why does that sound like a medically shunned, slow-acting anesthetic that hasn't been used since the Civil War? Like if a bunch of castaways were lost on an island and a doctor had to give someone surgery or else he'd die... "Oh boy, we gotta give him the One Hour Postal first..."

Maybe 2010 for me. :D

elise526
December 28th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Whatever you wear, don't wear something too constricting. I had to stop my attempt at the 2003 hour swim because I was wearing a really tight suit and could not breathe well. Of course it didn't help that I was swimming in a hot pool either.

Puff - Thanks for the compliment. I'll be routing for you to set a record on this one! Maybe in 2010, I can work up to doing it again.

Fort - It's no worse than running 10 miles non-stop which I'm sure you've done. You could break it up into challenging smaller sets with little rest just to see how much yardage you could squeeze out in an hour.

elise526
December 28th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I am debating if I should give it a go this year and would truly appreciate some feedback...
I do not swim freestyle-am I crazy for attempting to swim this all breast stroke?
I usually swim 250- 1000y sets of BR and on average 3000y per workout, so I'm thinking that with 2-4 brief gatorade stops I can make it through 1 hour.
Speed would obviously not be my goal, just making it to the end without giving up would be fine by me.....

Go for it! I have timed several swimmers that have done some of it breaststroke. If you are doing the kind of sets you mention above and do the gatorade stops, you should do well. You might want to consider alternating 1000 yards of breast with 1000 yards of free or alternating 500 breast with 500 free. Swimming it all breaststroke might be a little hard on the knees.

Kurt Dickson
December 28th, 2008, 06:34 PM
The one hour postal is the most painful (physical/mental) thing I do. I have done it that last several years. It probably would not be so painful in my youth, but when you only do about 20-40 minutes of swimming/day, it kinda leaves a mark.

Pace is key as it is hard to ramp up after you get settled in a pace. On the other hand, go out too hard, and you will cry for your mommy the last 4000 yds.

I always wear a fastskin legskin--it is a national championship with usually about 2,000 per year doing it. Strangely my legs are the first to go (even though I am dragging the things) so I am under the (false) assumption the legskin will delay the inevitable cramps.

Make sure you have a rabid counter because if someone interrupts a postal swim at say, the 50 minute mark, it is grounds to...go postal.

No cap, no break, and a lot of ice afterward.:bed:

tjrpatt
December 28th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I am probably doing with a group next month in the Philly area. Geeh, I hope that I won't have a postal swim on Saturday and then a meet on Sunday because that would be hectic.

ALM
December 28th, 2008, 10:58 PM
(S)he-Puff's experience vastly trumps mine on this.

"(S)he-Puff"... I love it....

SwimStud
December 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Whatever you wear, don't wear something too constricting. I had to stop my attempt at the 2003 hour swim because I was wearing a really tight suit and could not breathe well. Of course it didn't help that I was swimming in a hot pool either.

Puff - Thanks for the compliment. I'll be routing for you to set a record on this one! Maybe in 2010, I can work up to doing it again.

Fort - It's no worse than running 10 miles non-stop which I'm sure you've done. You could break it up into challenging smaller sets with little rest just to see how much yardage you could squeeze out in an hour.

Or 60 50's on 1:00 OK you know your yardage but at least you're in!

Chris Stevenson
December 28th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Anyone swim this event at a quick pace. . . say 1:10 per 100 or faster - AND you felt fine afterward? I hope to feel better at the end this time around!

The two times I've done it freestyle have been very very painful. What is strange is that I've never felt as badly in a 5K OW swim, which is approximately the same duration.

For me the problem was that I would look at the clock at each 100 and try to be too ambitious. But all my benchmarks are for shorter distances, and the anvil would start to fall at about the 20-30 min mark.

The one time I felt good was when I did it backstroke (part of a medley relay: one person for each stroke. It was a girls vs guys relay thing, with lots of trash-talking). I told the freestyler on my relay that I would pace him for the first 1000 -- his free is usually a little slower than my backstroke in practice, and I could easily see the pace clock while swimming backstroke.

So the first 1000 was long and controlled for me, then I just gradually picked up the tempo on each successive 1000. (Plus, it was outdoors and I could look up at the sky for the whole swim...). This type of strategy is definitely the way to swim it, I think: you start out slower but end up much stronger at the end.

CreamPuff
December 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM
"(S)he-Puff"... I love it....

Not to be confused with Man-Cream.

srcoyote
December 29th, 2008, 02:50 PM
The two times I've done it freestyle have been very very painful. What is strange is that I've never felt as badly in a 5K OW swim, which is approximately the same duration.

I agree with the long pool swim being more painful than the same distance in an OWS. OW swimmers will often say that training in a pool must be easier because you can rest on the turns, but I'm always more tired after a 3K or a 5K in the pool than am after a 3K or a 5K in a lake. I think water temp has something to do with it. The Y pool I swim in has temps ranging from 79 to 85. The other day I swam a 3600 in what had to have been 85 degree water, and I almost couldn't finish it.

The colder the better for me.

orca1946
December 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Never done one, but will consider it soon.

ddunbar
December 29th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Did one long ago at w Austin Sports Psyche. Got 4950 done according to the guy counting. I could have sworn I was at 5000. Never again, never again.

slowfish
December 30th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Did one long ago at w Austin Sports Psyche. Got 4950 done according to the guy counting. I could have sworn I was at 5000. Never again, never again.

than fun huh? i'm giving myself another month to get fired up for this.

david.margrave
December 31st, 2008, 04:21 AM
I may do it this year. I would probably do it in thirds, like 1500 yards, rest until :20 mark, repeat 3 times. Or if I swam continuously, I'd throw in a 50 of easy backstroke every 1000 or so.

Concho Pearl
December 31st, 2008, 11:28 AM
This is my first, I've also made it a fundraiser for Living Water International.
Having people sponsor as many laps as they wish, or $1.00 or 50 cents a lap.

I did a 30 min. swim last week, didn't count my laps, I loose count after about 800 yrds or so.
Doing a 45 min swim today, in 500yd. sets just to help see the lap count.

I have my mp3 charge with my favorites to help with the swim.

Bob Shepler
December 31st, 2008, 11:52 AM
This will be Santa Clarita Masters first one hour postal. Loosley organized as a group event Jan 25th. These comments have been helpful. We have about 10 swimmers planning to do this. Have any of you ever had a person on deck giving a 10 min. signal. Such holding up a kick board while on deck every 10 mins.?

anita
January 2nd, 2009, 11:54 PM
Have any of you ever had a person on deck giving a 10 min. signal. Such holding up a kick board while on deck every 10 mins.?

If I end up doing it, I'm just going to wear my watch to keep track of an approximate time. I don't have to count, so I'll have to be doing something...besides swimming, of course.

osterber
January 3rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
As some have pointed out -- you don't have to swim it continuously. You can do it as a set.

You can do 500's on a pace. 500's on 5:30, 6:00, 6:30, 10:00, whatever, depending on your speed.

-Rick

Kurt Dickson
January 4th, 2009, 03:28 PM
As far as holding something up every 10 minutes, I would not recommend that as you can lose track visually and mentally of how many times that signal has been put up (and also more confusion and work for counter). I have an old TYR red/black kickboard/pull buoy that I have my counter put up at 30 minutes and 50 minutes. Red side if I'm behind pace (average of last 7 years), black if I'm ahead of pace (not that I can ever really do anything about it).

You certainly can break it up into 25s if you want, but then I think you lose the spirit of the swim--a one hour pain fest.

Concho Pearl
January 4th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I don't think I'm doing to bad,

Last week I swam 3000m in 45 mins. I did it in set of 500's resting about 10 secs more or less just to move the lane disk. ( I used as my counter)

Today I did a 500 w-up, then a 500, 100 kick, 400, 100k, 300, 100k, 200, 100k, 100, 100k
resting about 20-30 sec between each. Then did a 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 pull.
with about 20-30 sec rest between. It took just a little over an hour, didn't really see what time I started. I swam med, pace on purpose, just wanted to concentrate on distance not speed.

I figure I should reach my goal of 4200yds. hopefully more.

For the one hour swim does anyone do a warm up first - or do you just get in and start swimming?

osterber
January 5th, 2009, 11:55 AM
If I end up doing it, I'm just going to wear my watch to keep track of an approximate time. I don't have to count, so I'll have to be doing something...besides swimming, of course.

The times I've done it, I ask for a kickboard to be put in the water (like a lap counter) at each 1000 mark. When I swim, I watch the clock and count lengths pretty closely to keep track of pace, and often it's easy to lose count.

-Rick

Midas
January 5th, 2009, 02:43 PM
As far as holding something up every 10 minutes, I would not recommend that as you can lose track visually and mentally of how many times that signal has been put up (and also more confusion and work for counter). I have an old TYR red/black kickboard/pull buoy that I have my counter put up at 30 minutes and 50 minutes. Red side if I'm behind pace (average of last 7 years), black if I'm ahead of pace (not that I can ever really do anything about it).

You certainly can break it up into 25s if you want, but then I think you lose the spirit of the swim--a one hour pain fest.

I think the counting technique needs to vary by the personal preference of the swimmer. I *NEED* to know where I am in any swim, let alone the hour swim, so it's very important to me to get frequent updates. I might ask for the kickboard every five minutes (but will probably ask for it every 10, plus with 2 minutes to go). Some people can just get in and swim, but if I don't know where I am I will probably panic...

knelson
January 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I think the counting technique needs to vary by the personal preference of the swimmer. I *NEED* to know where I am in any swim

I have to agree because I absolutely DON'T want to know where I'm at unless it's getting down to the final few minutes. It's just too depressing knowing you're only 20 minutes into the swim or whatever it happens to be. I'm used to looking at the pace clock even in the middle of swims during practice, but when I do the one hour I try not to look.

aquageek
January 5th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I have to agree because I absolutely DON'T want to know where I'm at unless it's getting down to the final few minutes. It's just too depressing knowing you're only 20 minutes into the swim or whatever it happens to be. I'm used to looking at the pace clock even in the middle of swims during practice, but when I do the one hour I try not to look.
Boy, I'm the exact same way. I hate hate hate to know where I am during the swim before the 45 minute mark.

Kurt Dickson
January 5th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I guess y'all are right. I never have counters in meets and some do-gooder starts counting unsolicited every @#!# lap for me for an entire mile, making me painfully aware of exactly how far I have left to go. For me, it is nice to have some intermittent feedback, however (so I don't worry that my counter died on me or worse, that the watch stopped and she is afraid to tell me).:D

Concho Pearl
January 19th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Doing my postal swim tomorrow!! 5:00pm

I'm getting mental ready. Meals planned, music loaded.

I 've been doing distance swims since just before Christmas to get ready.
I was able to a pre swim last week in the pool I'm swimming tomorrow.
I did an easy 40min swim with 33 mins being non stop.
Yesterday I swam an easy 2000. ( 500 wp, then a 5,4,3,2,1 )

I think I'm going to have my counter hold up a blue kb at 3000yds,
red at 4000 and purple at the 10 min mark. Friends and family are coming in
during my last 15 -10 mins. hopefully I can catch a second wind.

During my practice, I was taking breaks and doing a easy 50 back for a break, not sure what I'm doing tomorrow - I guess I'll see how I feel.

elise526
January 19th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Good luck tomorrow! Be sure to tell us how you did!

Doing my postal swim tomorrow!! 5:00pm

I'm getting mental ready. Meals planned, music loaded.

I 've been doing distance swims since just before Christmas to get ready.
I was able to a pre swim last week in the pool I'm swimming tomorrow.
I did an easy 40min swim with 33 mins being non stop.
Yesterday I swam an easy 2000. ( 500 wp, then a 5,4,3,2,1 )

I think I'm going to have my counter hold up a blue kb at 3000yds,
red at 4000 and purple at the 10 min mark. Friends and family are coming in
during my last 15 -10 mins. hopefully I can catch a second wind.

During my practice, I was taking breaks and doing a easy 50 back for a break, not sure what I'm doing tomorrow - I guess I'll see how I feel.

mermaid
January 20th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I did the One Hour Swim on Sunday.

I went to the event - just to count for our friend Jim T. I wasn't planning to swim because I don't like to do much over 500 during practice - I loose focus, loose count, need socialization, get lost, get tired, need to rest, need water, and can find any other excuse to stop. So, the thought of swimming non-stop for one hour, OMG! (back of the had to the forehead & sigh) . . .

Therefore, you can imagine how suprised I was to find myself in the second heat, swimming. I swam and swam and swam and swam some more.

I really don't know how or why I did it.

The water was perfect. I enjoyed not being interrupted, not knowing how far I swam or what time it was.

I would do it again.

Then I went to the second meet of the day where I finished the 400 IM and 3 other sprint events.

My suit: regular practice poly suit. No need to technical stuff!

Really, if I can do it, you can too!

Midas
January 20th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I did the One Hour Swim on Sunday.

I went to the event - just to count for our friend Jim T. I wasn't planning to swim because I don't like to do much over 500 during practice - I loose focus, loose count, need socialization, get lost, get tired, need to rest, need water, and can find any other excuse to stop. So, the thought of swimming non-stop for one hour, OMG! (back of the had to the forehead & sigh) . . .

Therefore, you can imagine how suprised I was to find myself in the second heat, swimming. I swam and swam and swam and swam some more.

I really don't know how or why I did it.

The water was perfect. I enjoyed not being interrupted, not knowing how far I swam or what time it was.

I would do it again.

Then I went to the second meet of the day where I finished the 400 IM and 3 other sprint events.

My suit: regular practice poly suit. No need to technical stuff!

Really, if I can do it, you can too!

That's awesome! How did you feel at the meet and how were your times? I'm doing my hour swim this Saturday and going to a meet on Sunday... How worn out were you the next day?

Midas
January 20th, 2009, 02:41 PM
There is a guy on my team that has been out for pretty much the whole year (a new baby at home had eaten up all his free time). He showed up at practice today to do the hour swim and show his team solidarity. Let me reiterate--he hasn't trained in almost a full year. When I left practice he was 45 minutes in and holding his pace very well. I was completely blown away by this. I'm pretty sure if I took the better part of a year off I would NEVER be able to keep going for a full hour. My hat is off to this guy, who is not only a dedicated father and husband, but a heck of a teammate.

:notworthy:

mermaid
January 20th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Midas!

Yesterday I really needed to swim but didn't get a chance.

I did about 1 1/2 hours of stretching/light free weights, just to move a little bit. I am not sore at all.

I am 37.

On another note, when I lived in SF, I'd bike up and down TAM all day long. My dad still rides the headlands every Sunday 50+ miles. I miss that area.

Midas
January 20th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Midas!

Yesterday I really needed to swim but didn't get a chance.

I did about 1 1/2 hours of stretching/light free weights, just to move a little bit. I am not sore at all.

I am 37.

On another note, when I lived in SF, I'd bike up and down TAM all day long. My dad still rides the headlands every Sunday 50+ miles. I miss that area.

Great to hear you weren't sore! So did your swim meet go well?

If you're ever back in Marin visiting, you should come work out with us!

mermaid
January 20th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I didn't swim the 2nd meet on Sunday for time - I swam the events I needed to swim to complete an Iron Person (similar to check off challenge) for our local YMCA league. One of those events was the 400 IM -- in this case, I just needed to finish the @#* *%$@! thing as leagal as possible.

Concho Pearl
January 21st, 2009, 10:16 AM
I did it! My First one hour swim.

I went 3950yds. Missed my goal by10 laps, so not to bad for a 47 year old sprinter.

I keep thinking today maybe I should have stop a little bit, maybe I could have kept a better pace. It's hard to try and second guess. I swam some 50's back when I needed a rest, so I did swim without stopping, which can be considered another goal.

Blue kickboard was put in at 3000 yds. I realized I didn't like looking at the clock until the last 5 -10 mins. It's definitely a mind game swim. But over all I felt good during and after the swim. Muscles are a bit tight this morning, but that's just age more than the swim.

The real winner is the funds I raised, almost $600.00 for Living Water International !!!

I want to do the 3000 in Sept. not sure about going on for 6000 we'll see.

elise526
January 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM
I did it! My First one hour swim.

I went 3950yds. Missed my goal by10 laps, so not to bad for a 47 year old sprinter.

I keep thinking today maybe I should have stop a little bit, maybe I could have kept a better pace. It's hard to try and second guess. I swam some 50's back when I needed a rest, so I did swim without stopping, which can be considered another goal.

Blue kickboard was put in at 3000 yds. I realized I didn't like looking at the clock until the last 5 -10 mins. It's definitely a mind game swim. But over all I felt good during and after the swim. Muscles are a bit tight this morning, but that's just age more than the swim.

The real winner is the funds I raised, almost $600.00 for Living Water International !!!

I want to do the 3000 in Sept. not sure about going on for 6000 we'll see.

Congrats!! That is awesome that you did the swim with no stops.

Steve Ruiter
January 22nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Its been a while, but I used to wear an Ironman watch. You could set it to beep on a time interval. Annoying, I agree, (and possibly not legal?) but if you know you are trying to hold, say 200's on a 2:20 pace, you can set it to beep every 2:20. You keep swimming and see where the beep happens.

I found that if I set it at a pace just slower than I could go, I'd start progressing against the beep, which was a good mental boost. The focus on the intervals seemed to make the elapsed time go faster.

AnnG
January 22nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
The One Hour is not my favorite thing to do but we do it as a team and I have participated for the last three (or maybe four) years. I try to break it down into 15 minute segments just so its not overwhelming but it does get long. We all set time goals and this month we have had several sets to practice our pacing. I think the trick is to start out a LOT slower than it feels like you should, just to get into the right pace and not kill yourself in the first half. I am going to experiment with breathing every stroke to see if that helps my fatigue level in the second half. My one hour is next Tuesday - so looking forward to having it done for another year!