PDA

View Full Version : How to pick the right fins for me.

Guvnah
November 6th, 2008, 09:17 AM
There are all sorts of variety in fins. Short. Long. Stiff. Flexible.

I have size 14 feet. Lots of brands don't go that high.

I got myself into FlexFins by Tyr. I like them, except they split in several places. The splits that started by the toe holes, I could understand. But they also have perpendicular cracks on the sides (both sides of both fins), near where my toes end. (I'm 6'6", 240 lbs, so I am asking my fins to take a good bit of force.)

I've had this set of fins for about a year. Maybe I'm expecting too much for them to last longer than that.

I'm also not looking to analyze my kick here. I just do flutter kick, with some dolphin kicks right after I push off. Nothing unusual. I'm just looking for recommnedations on sturdier fins that will fit a size 14 foot. (And pointers to where I can find them. I currently order stuff directly from Kiefer, Finals and Tyr.)

I was going to ask what Michael Phelps uses, but this was what I found from Google:

http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-643.asp

I will ask this about my kicking practices: Should I NOT push off the wall as hard as I do with fins on? I push off the wall as hard as I do on any other turn without fins. Could that be why I'm getting the cracks on the sides of the fins?

Thanks for advice.

Guv.

pwolf66
November 6th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I'm 6'3"+ and have size 14 (more like 13.75) feet. I use the Tyr Split Fin, size XXL and on my right foot (the slightly smaller one) I have issues with the heel cup sliding off. Other than that the fit is fine.

On turns, I try and place my heels on flat on the wall and then push off.

Guvnah
November 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I'm 6'3"+ and have size 14 (more like 13.75) feet. I use the Tyr Split Fin, size XXL and on my right foot (the slightly smaller one) I have issues with the heel cup sliding off. Other than that the fit is fine.

On turns, I try and place my heels on flat on the wall and then push off.

I have probs with fins slipping off too. My size-14s are B-width, so while I fit in the length, they are still sloppy on my feet. I use the Tyr neoprene boots with the fins, and then they fit perfectly (and I don't get blisters like I did without the boots. They're more like socks, really, not boots...)

How long have you had your Split Fins? Any splits or cracks (beyond the split in the design, of course!) ?

As for "heel on the wall", I can picture it, and I've tried it. But I can't get past muscle memory, it seems, and I still end up pushing with my toes.

pwolf66
November 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I hear you on the turns, I lot of times I will just do an open turn if I'm wearing fins and just focus on hitting a very tight streamline. I've had the fins for about a year and have noticed no unusual wear. But I only use fins for about 10-15% of my workouts so your milage may vary.

2fish&1whale
November 6th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I use the TYR CrossBlade fins, they go up to size 17.I've had mine for about 6 month and use them a lot and so far there are no signs of damage.I have used the stiff long fins before and it took some getting used to the more flexible blade but I found I was actually having to work harder-so it's all good.And with the rubber fins I used to get blisters, but not with these even though I ordered them pretty small.

Guvnah
April 13th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Hey, I just thought I would come back here and close the loop on this thread I started.

I ended up getting the Tyr Split Fins. They are far more sturdy than the Tyr FlexFins I used to use (went through several sets of them before starting this thread last year.)

I've had them 5 months now. Use them just as hard as I did with the FlexFins, and I haven't had a single split. (By 5 months I would already have developed splits on the flexfins.)

They were about twice the price of the flexfins, but in this case I'm getting what I paid for. (Actually, what someone else paid for. I got them as an early Christmas gift.)

For the record, the kicking is different with the SplitFins as opposed to the FlexFins. They're smaller (surface area) so I have to have a quicker beat. But I also find that I can kick longer with the split fins than the flex fins before I get cramps in my feet (if I get cramps at all!) even though I have to do more work with the split fins. And I have a more satisfying "fatigue" in my legs when I'm done a workout with the SplitFins. I just know I'm getting a better workout from them.

Oh, and they're slightly more snug on my feet than the flexfins.

Thx for the recommendation, pwolf66!

orca1946
April 14th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Glad you found something you like!