PDA

View Full Version : Tips on pacing?

swim4life13
November 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Hi im 16 right now and a junior at my high school. My sprint time in my 100 free is 59:00, but when i swim during practise, i can barely hold 100s on a 1:20. Can you give me any tips on improving my pace? Also... sometimes when i swim probably more than 50-75 yards, my shoulders kill with pain, and i just lose all momentum, and can't start again. Is this a problem with my pacing? or am i doing my freestyle wrong? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

~Swim4life13

pwolf66
November 7th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Hi im 16 right now and a junior at my high school. My sprint time in my 100 free is 59:00, but when i swim during practise, i can barely hold 100s on a 1:20. Can you give me any tips on improving my pace? Also... sometimes when i swim probably more than 50-75 yards, my shoulders kill with pain, and i just lose all momentum, and can't start again. Is this a problem with my pacing? or am i doing my freestyle wrong? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

~Swim4life13

It sounds like you need to have some stroke analysis done. Is there anyone you know with a camera capable of taking video? If so could you get them to video you swimming and then post it to Youtube? If that is possible then have them video you from the side and the from front as you swim at near race pace.

Midas
November 7th, 2008, 06:36 PM

~Swim4life13

I do not think that having shoulders that "kill with pain" is something you should be experiencing. A lot of swimmers get shoulder injuries, and in my experience that seemed especially true among young women ages 13-16 or so. (Not sure if you are a male or a female.) You need to get that checked by a sports medicine doctor... As Paul says, the pain might be related to bad technique, so you should get that checked too...

hofffam
November 8th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I think you should describe the shoulder pain in more detail. Does it hurt in the joint? Or is it in the deltoid (the main shoulder muscle)? Does it hurt on the pull portion of the stroke or when your arm is recovering (moving forward)? Recurring shoulder pain for someone 16 is unusual.

As for your pace - that probably has nothing to do with your shoulder pain.

If your race speed is 59, repeating 100s on 1:20 in practice is reasonable depending on how many repeats you're talking about. My race speed is 55 and I can't repeat many 100s at 1:20. My normal 100 interval is 1:25 or 1:30 for 10-15 repeats.

My 16 yr. old son swims his 100 in 50 secs - he repeats 100s between 1:05 and 1:20 in practice depending on the purpose of the set. There is a huge difference in training between 59 and 50 in a 100.

Typhoons Coach
November 8th, 2008, 08:00 PM
It sounds like you need to have some stroke analysis done. Is there anyone you know with a camera capable of taking video? If so could you get them to video you swimming and then post it to Youtube? If that is possible then have them video you from the side and the from front as you swim at near race pace.

I completely agree that you need to have some stroke technique worked on if you are experiencing that much pain.

With regard to the practice intervals, I would say a good :15 rest interval for these is a good pace for practice. If you want to start to decrease from that :59 try some workout variations (broken swims, etc) and go from there. Lower the intervals gradually and really try to kick it in gear! Talk to your coach regarding workout variations...