PDA

View Full Version : Mixed course training

abc
November 10th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Recently Iíve been doing a lot of mixed course training. For example, short course yards for a couple of workouts and then long course meters for a couple of workouts (or even short course meters). While I think itís advantageous to primarily train in the course you will be racing in for the season, I also think there are benefits to mixed course training. Your opinions?

hofffam
November 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I also think there are benefits to mixed course training.

And these benefits are?

stillwater
November 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM
And these benefits are?

The sheer joy of going from long course to turn after turn after turn...

I have a love/hate relationship with turns.

Short course to long course makes me feel like I'm cheating on my old reliable friend, the resting wall. I really miss my pal.

When I go back to short course, ahhhhh, the world is one.

mjgold
November 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I hate turns. I wish we practiced in the long course pool all year. If you're going to only swim in 25-yard pools for your whole life, varying courses probably doesn't help you at all. If you plan on competing in different courses, it might be useful to train in a 50m pool once in a while. Just a thought...

Redbird Alum
November 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM
One would certainly have to be comfortable with stroke counts to the turn in backstroke across multiple distances! :bump:

tjrpatt
November 10th, 2008, 03:02 PM
The summer, I train long course with a few SCY practices here and there. But, I couldn't get to the long course practices every morning, I would at least do LCM on Sundays. During the winter, it is SCY all the time. I wish that I could get a SCM practice or LCM practice here and there during the winter.

osterber
November 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM
It's definitely beneficial. Basically, it's cross-training. Short course and long course swimming are rather different.

Personally, I prefer to train long course. I have a very long stroke (generally 8 strokes/length in SCY), so when I train SCY, it feels like everything is either the actual turn, or setting up for the turn, or coming out of the turn. In LCM, I get a pile more space between the turns to focus on my stroke.

-Rick

Thrashing Slug
November 13th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Long course training has been very beneficial for my stroke. I've noticed a big difference without the turns. There is a lot more time to focus on balancing out the stroke and swimming efficiently. ...and a lot more time to suffer. Swimming long course has made me realize how much I use the turns, both to gain speed and momentum and also as a temporary rest from swimming. Turns are a double-edged sword because they make me feel more out of breath, but I am definitely a lot faster in SCY than I am in LCM. More than the simple yards to meters conversion.