PDA

View Full Version : pointers on my butterfly

raydogg
November 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I am a high school swimmer looking to improve his stroke.
on camera i got a the 50 and a stroke but altogether 1:08 from a push off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ7A3TA7mk4
my personal best is a 1:06 from a block, going out a 32 coming back a 34 (my turns could have been much better).

hofffam
November 12th, 2008, 08:46 PM
It is hard to get a good look at your stroke from that video. I can't see your hip position nor get a really good idea what your kick and timing are.

I think your shoulders are low in the water and you have a somewhat unusual windmill style of swimming fly. Just a guess but your shoulders might be low in the water because of a weak kick. You are fortunate to have good shoulder flexibility - otherwise your arms would skim across the water. If you watch Phelps swim his kick is so strong that his upper body/shoulders just surges at a perfect height above the water. His arms rotate forward parallel to the water instead of yours - which point high at an angle toward the sky.

If you get a chance to shoot more video - shoot from an angle or the side. A little height would be good too.

Typhoons Coach
November 14th, 2008, 11:51 AM
It is hard to get a good look at your stroke from that video. I can't see your hip position nor get a really good idea what your kick and timing are.

I think your shoulders are low in the water and you have a somewhat unusual windmill style of swimming fly. Just a guess but your shoulders might be low in the water because of a weak kick. You are fortunate to have good shoulder flexibility - otherwise your arms would skim across the water. If you watch Phelps swim his kick is so strong that his upper body/shoulders just surges at a perfect height above the water. His arms rotate forward parallel to the water instead of yours - which point high at an angle toward the sky.

If you get a chance to shoot more video - shoot from an angle or the side. A little height would be good too.

I couldn't have said it better myself! Very very hard to see what is going on underwater here. I agree with the arm position, etc!

raydogg
November 20th, 2008, 07:00 PM
i got a new video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9QTJdaLzW0
I'll post the other when it loads

raydogg
November 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDWTNcfU9vk

I slowed them down a little to get a better breakdown of the stroke both with different angles.
sorry about the wind too.

rtodd
November 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
To me it looks very good.

Perhaps try to recover your arms lower to the water and lay them on the water during recovery. You want to keep everything low and flat and moving forward. When you breathe, get that head pointed back down quicker and have your forehead lead the arm entry. They are entering simultaneously so you are not able to take advantage of your chest rising to initiate you catch.

I'm no expert but this is what I see. Overall I would say very impressive.

hofffam
November 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Looks pretty solid overall. The timing is good between kick and arms. It looks like a solid foundation and you will get faster as you get stronger and better conditioned.

Perhaps your hips could be bit higher and your breathing might be a bit late. But the core fundamentals look good to me.

raydogg
November 24th, 2008, 08:10 AM
What would be some good drills and good sets to further my conditioning?
Also I have a 200 fly coming up in a month, any tips?

hofffam
November 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Do you swim year round? Or just during the high school season? Do you have a good coach?

I swim the 50 fly not the 200 so I don't have much to offer specifically for the 200 except you should practice your pacing before your race. The 2nd 100 will be ugly and painful if you go too fast at the beginning. Take the first 100 smooth more than fast and smooth. I think if you finish with your stroke reasonably intact you will have a better time than if your 150 is OK and your last 50 ugly.

My son occasionally swims the 200 fly. Last year when his 100 time was about 55 his 200 time was about 2:05.

As for conditioning - all of your normal aerobic conditioning work will help your fly. Many coaches say you should not swim fly in practice if your stroke breaks down. So you will not swim 200 fly sets often. But you may swim fly sets in 50s or 100s instead.

raydogg
November 24th, 2008, 01:13 PM
my coach is exellent. I swim year round, but on the off-season (now) I only practice 3 days a week and that isn't cutting it for me. I feel really slow during practice and my sprints are not up to par, so i would say my conditioning is not very great at the moment.

orca1946
November 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Overall, very good. I breath to the side , like freestyle, this keeps my head & shoulders down lower. You might try this to see how it feels. Yes - your arms could be lower in the recovery phase. Have fun while you do all of the hints. I'm 62 & do all the fly events at local meets & state. Good luck.