PDA

View Full Version : Body Position

THadB
November 12th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I have been swimming for about a year and need some help with my body position. I have noticed that when I swim with a pull bouy I can swim much faster and my stroke per distance is much less. I assume it is because my lower body is not creating as much drag as when I swim without the pull bouy. I notice other swimming in my group and they seem to be able to glide in the water much better than I can. What are some things I can do to help keep my lower body closer to the surface and reduce the drag it creates?

inflictfreedom
November 12th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Hm, I've found that keeping straight and core tight along with a fast kick helps .... gets harder as you tire though ... also head position, seems different for some, but I keep my chin tucked.

mazzy
November 13th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Hm, I've found that keeping straight and core tight along with a fast kick helps .... gets harder as you tire though ... also head position, seems different for some, but I keep my chin tucked.

For me it's all different. if I'm relaxed, I'll ride higher in the water swimming, or I float better if stationary. the more thigh I'm the more I sink.
The head position help to balance you better, if you legs sink try to look directly down, if it's not enought maybe you have a weak core or you've really a poor natural floating ability.

Ripple
November 13th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Try pushing your chest cavity down ever so slightly. It's full of air and bobs to the surface, which swings your legs downwards. And, as mentioned by the others, keep your neck and body straight.

Typhoons Coach
November 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Pull your body more efficiently across the water, and kick your feet; kicking brings the lower half of the body up and reduces drag significantly (in most swimmers).