PDA

View Full Version : Torn Achilles Tendon

Los Alamos Swimmer
November 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM
The first week of November I had surgery for a total rupture of my Achilles tendon, and am wearing a cast for the next 6- weeks. I am wondering if anyone has experience in swimming with a Dry Pro waterproof boot over a cast? Of course, I have to convince my orthopod in letting me even try it and it is feasible. If so, did you use a pull buoy all the time? Finally, how long did it take you to get back to swimming relatively normal. I still have a goal of doing the Y Nats next spring and maybe a couple of other meets. My wife says forget about it, but I need to get back in the pool.

Los Alamos Swimmer

RachaelM
November 18th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Goodness! A complete tear! I partially ruptured my achilles in May 2007. Thankfully, I did not have to have it casted, but it took me a good 8 months to feel ok in the water. I could not do fly or breast kick at all. I could do limited flutter but mainly pulled. Fins were out of the question. The biggest problem at first was pushing off the wall and being careful not to push with the injured tendon.

Best to get your doctors/physical therapist advice though. My orthopedic surgeon told me to just take it easy and if it hurts, stop. Not really the most specific advice but thats all I could get out of him.

Good luck in your recovery. You're making me thankful mine was only a partial.

Rachael