PDA

View Full Version : What are you swimming at Rutgers?

jim thornton
November 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I signed up for the 50, 100, 200, and 400 freestyles.

And, inspired by Paul Wolf's kindly needling, I signed up--for the first time in YEARS in a USMS sanctioned meet, some non-freestyle, i.e.,

the 400 and 100 IM.

I would like to officially challenge Mr. Paul Wolf to the 400 IM race, and ask only that he use yesteryear's suit technology (i.e., FS1 or earlier) to make it a fair race with us poorer swimmers. I, in turn, promise to apply age grading formulae only to the extent that I need to in order to stave off personal humiliation. I do, however, reserve the right to define "personal humiliation." This may include, but is not necessarily limited to, my ability to cause humiliation in others so as to prevent it in myself.

Until we meet in the pitiless waters of Piscataway, I bid you all good training!

talne621
November 16th, 2008, 05:33 PM
50, 200, 400, 800, 1500 free
50, 100, 200 back
100, 200, 400 IM
200 breast

jim thornton
November 16th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Good luck, Thomas. How you can swim the 800, rest a short while, then do the 400 is beyond me! Then get up for the 1500? Yikes!

pwolf66
November 17th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I would like to officially challenge Mr. Paul Wolf to the 400 IM race, and ask only that he use yesteryear's suit technology (i.e., FS1 or earlier) to make it a fair race with us poorer swimmers. I, in turn, promise to apply age grading formulae only to the extent that I need to in order to stave off personal humiliation. I do, however, reserve the right to define "personal humiliation." This may include, but is not necessarily limited to, my ability to cause humiliation in others so as to prevent it in myself.

400 IM? Sorry, that's not on the list of approved events for my 2008 calender. I can petition to have it added to the list of approved events for 2009 but I doubt the approval commitee would look favorably on my attempting to venture into the realm of distance events. However, I am MORE than willing to admit that I would be left a crushed and broken man after that race.

Now, if you want to throw down on a 200 IM? Sure. I'm swimming that in Chicago.

pwolf66
November 17th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Good luck, Thomas. How you can swim the 800, rest a short while, then do the 400 is beyond me! Then get up for the 1500? Yikes!

AND swim TWELVE events?????? :bow:

Julie Roddin
November 17th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I signed up for 50, 100 200 back, 100 breast and 100 IM. Free hurts the shoulder the worst so I skipped all free events. I entered with slow seed times and my only goals for the meet are to not cause any additional shoulder pain, have fun watching my friends swim, get in a good long run on Sunday morning before the meet and have a great birthday on Sunday :)

SwimStud
November 17th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I've forgotten what I am swimming...it'll be on the psyche sheets though!
:bliss:

The Fortress
November 17th, 2008, 08:30 PM
have a great birthday on Sunday :)

I'm coming on Sunday only to see Julie on her birthday :cake: since I don't see her at practice anymore. :(

I entered the 50 free, 50 breast and 100 IM. No fly-back events for me, and we all know why. hahaha.
I reserve the right to scratch breaststroke if I happen to get ambitious about my 100 IM. :D

mermaid
November 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I will only be able to swim on Saturday -- boo hoo

pwb
November 18th, 2008, 12:22 PM
This will be my 1st time swimming short course meters at Rutgers. From my recollection of the pool (summer Nationals years ago), there is a diving well end and then a more "traditional" depth end. Is the course in the diving well end or the other one? I'm pretty sure it's not cross-pool as I think that's 25 yards.

And, let me add my :bow: to Thomas for the ambitious entry. I thought I had a full agenda of the 50 to 800 free and 100 to 400 IM, but clearly not.

talne621
November 18th, 2008, 01:20 PM
The starting end will be in the traditional starting area. The diving well area will be available for warmup and cool down throughout the meet. The diving well section is 25 yards. Thanks! I am attempting to complete the maximum amount of events this year. Last year I made it thru 11 events. I was exhausted for the whole week after it.

SwimStud
November 18th, 2008, 04:25 PM
The starting end will be in the traditional starting area. The diving well area will be available for warmup and cool down throughout the meet. The diving well section is 25 yards. Thanks! I am attempting to complete the maximum amount of events this year. Last year I made it thru 11 events. I was exhausted for the whole week after it.

The facility was fantastic last year!

pwb
November 18th, 2008, 10:12 PM
The starting end will be in the traditional starting area.

Excellent. I'm looking forward to this meet. Good luck with the event max strategy!

Chris Stevenson
November 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Swimming 50/100/200 back, 100/200 fly and 1-2 relays on Saturday. Depending on the timeline I may drop the 50 back on Saturday (it is between the 200 fly and 200 back).

Wanted to swim 200/400 free but they are at bad times. Oh, well...

pwb
November 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Wanted to swim 200/400 free but they are at bad times. Oh, well...

Bummer ... would've loved to race

Chris Stevenson
November 19th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Bummer ... would've loved to race

Me too. I don't like to complain about event order too much -- Fortress represents the fly/back lobby well -- but this is one of the strangest event orders I've seen (and one of the worst from my personal point of view, in terms of the events I like to swim).

But no biggie, it is what it is.

pwb
November 19th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Me too. I don't like to complain about event order too much -- Fortress represents the fly/back lobby well -- but this is one of the strangest event orders I've seen (and one of the worst from my personal point of view, in terms of the events I like to swim).

I think I'm the only one happy with the order of events ... it works really well if you're just doing IMs and frees, excepting if you want to do the mile (which I haven't done in a pool since the Santa Clara nationals in 2001) or 800

tjrpatt
November 20th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I am swimming the 800 and 1500 free, 200 fly, 200 free, 400 IM, 200 breast, and I think the 100 fly. I would have done the 400 free if the 1500 free and 200 fly weren't on Saturday morning.

pwolf66
November 20th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I am swimming the 800 and 1500 free, 200 fly, 200 free, 400 IM, 200 breast, and I think the 100 fly. I would have done the 400 free if the 1500 free and 200 fly weren't on Saturday morning.

Wow, that's quite an event lineup. I just could not imagine trying to swim that schedule. For me, I have to know that I am giving myself the best chance to perform well and I know that I can't swim that much that close together. Even as a sprinter, I have to give myself recovery time, it's why I know that I can only swim 3-4 events per day max. and for shorter meets, it's more like 2-3.

tjrpatt
November 20th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Wow, that's quite an event lineup. I just could not imagine trying to swim that schedule. For me, I have to know that I am giving myself the best chance to perform well and I know that I can't swim that much that close together. Even as a sprinter, I have to give myself recovery time, it's why I know that I can only swim 3-4 events per day max. and for shorter meets, it's more like 2-3.

I guess that I am kind of used to this lineup from my age group days. Heck, I had to hold back and not sign up for the 200 IM on Saturday.

The Fortress
November 21st, 2008, 11:00 AM
I don't like to complain about event order too much -- Fortress represents the fly/back lobby well --

Watch out, or I'll start charging you my hourly rate.

poolraat
November 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM
Watch out, or I'll start charging you my hourly rate.

:lmao:

The Fortress
November 23rd, 2008, 05:49 PM
Regret to inform everyone that I am no longer swimming the 50 breaststroke, so you'll be deprived of a good laugh. I will be sprinting like a maniac the first 50 of the 100 fly and then dolphin diving the rest of the way. :D

Julie Roddin
November 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Regret to inform everyone that I am no longer swimming the 50 breaststroke, so you'll be deprived of a good laugh.

For an almost as good laugh, maybe even better laugh, you can watch me swim the 100 breast at Rutgers. I swam it SCY yesterday at a meet and it was SLOW. Even my super nice boyfriend got a laugh out of it! Despite what I said after the race, I do think I'll do it again in two weeks.

Chris Stevenson
November 24th, 2008, 07:00 PM
For an almost as good laugh, maybe even better laugh, you can watch me swim the 100 breast at Rutgers. I swam it SCY yesterday at a meet and it was SLOW. Even my super nice boyfriend got a laugh out of it! Despite what I said after the race, I do think I'll do it again in two weeks.

Julie, since 100 breast falls between the 200 fly and 200 back, I really appreciate your willingness to do this to provide me with an extra minute or three of rest.

Even better than sandbagging: getting friends to enter the evil-stroke events. The longer the better, providing both rest AND entertainment.

mermaid
November 24th, 2008, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=Even better than sandbagging: getting friends to enter the evil-stroke events. The longer the better, providing both rest AND entertainment.[/QUOTE]

NICE Chris!

The Fortress
November 24th, 2008, 08:32 PM

I'm reminding you not to swim it. Since I'm a good friend, I'm just following your blog reminder order. Don't swim it. Don't swim it. And, ew, it's right before 200 back. Get your priorities in order ASAP!

SwimStud
November 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM

What's your time there Lunachick? Maybe I'll gridge you...:)

swimshark
November 25th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I want to wish you all good luck at Rutgers. I will be there in spirit. I only ish I could be there in person. :badday:

Julie Roddin
November 25th, 2008, 09:04 AM
What's your time there Lunachick? Maybe I'll gridge you...:)

LOL, I went a 1:29 in SCY last weekend. Looking at maybe a 1:40ish. UGH! That's a long time to swim breaststroke! What's your time?

Julie Roddin
November 25th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I'm reminding you not to swim it. Since I'm a good friend, I'm just following your blog reminder order. Don't swim it. Don't swim it. And, ew, it's right before 200 back. Get your priorities in order ASAP!

It's not right before the 200 back. There is 50 back and 200 free in there too :)

Chris, Glad I could help!

SwimStud
November 25th, 2008, 04:20 PM
LOL, I went a 1:29 in SCY last weekend. Looking at maybe a 1:40ish. UGH! That's a long time to swim breaststroke! What's your time?

Hmm I'm about 1:18 in SCY...

What else are you swimming? maybe we can do a cumulative seconds gridge...

Julie Roddin
November 29th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Rich....I'm really not up for adding any competitiveness to this swim meet unless you want to go out for my long run with me on Saturday morning. Haven't been in the pool since last Sunday and don't really plan on getting in any "training" between now and next weekend. Maybe we can gridge at zones in the spring! I should be back into shape by then :)

Julie