PDA

View Full Version : Goggle failure to cooperate

Mookie
November 16th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Today the coach had us doing starts. This was my first time doing this in many years, and an old Bugaboo resurfaced: No matter what I try or do, my goggles will not stay sealed!

Has anyone had troubles with goggles on starts? What are some things to try? I've already been through the obvious things like strap tension and different head positions on entry. I sure would like to get this figured out, it's going to limit me otherwise.

tjrpatt
November 16th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Some people put their goggles on first and then their cap. I usually wear the Speedo Hydrospex and don't have any issues. Plus, I am pushing them in constantly before every race. Try the Hyrdospec Biofuse goggles.

Mookie
November 17th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks, I'll look for those. Maybe if i put a cap over my goggles......

Blackbeard's Peg
November 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM
almost everyone i've seen with persistent goggle issues on starts had one of two things wrong:

1- poor dive form
TO FIX: ditch the goggles and work on form. once you and your coach have that down pat, put the goggles back on and try again.

2- poor google fit
TO FIX:

some goggles are not made for competition and the previous suggestion to try a different brand/style may help for some.
try a style that has a single, long goggle strap that will wrap around your head TWICE. the two straps provide a more study fit.
goggles should fit snug around the head. if your strap circumference is within 1 to 2 inches of your actual head circumference, then your strap is way too loose. tighten it a bit
a cap will disguise poor goggle fit - to an extent. if your strap is still too loose, the problem will probably continue.
try a new strap. silicone straps and bungees work quite well.
where are your straps in the back of your head? if they are under your ears, move them up to the bottom-most end of the crown of your head, just below where any cowlicks would be. the strap should be in a straight line from goggle to back of head.

ourswimmer
November 17th, 2008, 04:14 PM
goggles should fit snug around the head. if your strap circumference is within 1 to 2 inches of your actual head circumference, then your strap is way too loose. tighten it a bit

I agree. I would have a splitting headache if I wore my goggles in practice or in OW races as tight as I wear them for pool races. For pool races, I probably take at least an inch and maybe two out of the total circumference. Judging from the pink rings on some Olympians' foreheads, I think they do too.

pwolf66
November 17th, 2008, 04:49 PM
almost everyone i've seen with persistent goggle issues on starts had one of two things wrong:

To add to the poor fit issue: make sure your nose piece is the right width. Most of the speedo line of googles have a variety of nose piece widths.

And my money is on poor head position on entry. But that's just me :afraid:

inflictfreedom
November 17th, 2008, 06:32 PM
learn to use the force.

Mookie
November 17th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I will try all of the above. Got a new pair of competition goggles with adjustable nose strap today, and I'm going to work all of these suggestions until I can get an ok start.

hofffam
November 17th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Try some starts from the pool deck instead of the blocks to make the entry to the water slower. I think the #1 thing done wrong is the head is not DOWN on entry in the pool. Experiment with chin on chest. When the goggles come off it is because water hit the goggles and shoved them out of the eye sockets. If you enter HEAD DOWN, the face will be shielded at least partially from the full impact of the water.

swimshark
November 18th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I also recommend getting a 2nd pair of goggles. One for competition, one for practice. Keep the competition ones tight and save them for meets. Use the others for practice. If I used my competition ones in practice, my head would hurt too much. If I only had 1 pair of goggles, I'd break the strap adjusting them after every meet.

daveindc
November 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I was having some goggle issues and decided to try cap over goggles and that solved it.

PJElder
November 18th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I like swedish goggles and have almost never had those leak when diving off the blocks.

Any goggles I have with too much foam or rubber leak, but it really depends on the size and shape of your face and nose.

3strokes
November 20th, 2008, 03:01 PM
And my money is on poor head position on entry. But that's just me :afraid:

You're absoluterperfectly right...........
I have noticed that quite a few "swimmers" enter the water face first, rather than head tucked in between arms, face down, chin down and having the top of the head enter the water before the face (thus protecting the goggles from the shock of entry).
One good way to overcome the face-first bad habit is to try to be looking at (and seeing) your feet entering water. (You won't, unless you're in a pike position, but it will help with the head entry).