PDA

View Full Version : Janet Evans High School 500 Free record broken

Hoosier
November 17th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Did I dream this? I saw a small blurb in the paper Sunday morning. Saying that a Junior Girl from North Dakota, broke Janet Evans 500 free record...by 2.22 seconds. It was an unbelieveable 4:34.78! Broke the ND state record by 22 seconds! No mention on USA swimming site. Please advise.

Lump
November 17th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Wow! That is FAST FAST....even for a HS guy that is pretty fast! I think I was 4:28 out of HS so that is kicking some major butt! :applaud:

North Dakota though?! Not exactly the swimming capital of the US...kinda odd. Makes it that much more remarkable.

FlyQueen
November 17th, 2008, 09:52 AM
US National: ! 4:37.30 5/14/1988 Janet Evans, El Dorado, CA
State: * 4:55.78 2007 Hannah Whitehead, GF Central
5:19.72 1ST
5:26.12 2ND
Meet Qualifying: 6:09.08
Name Year School Prelims Finals Points
=============================================
==================================
A - Final
1 Dagny Knutson 11 Minot 4:34.78 4:40.26*1ST 20

Looks like she got the record in prelims ... she had a great trials and I think she went to world junior games or whatever the heck was in Mexico right after trials and swam really well. She'll be a BIG TIME recruit next year!

thewookiee
November 17th, 2008, 10:41 AM
She also broke the 100 and 200 free national public school records as well.

Lump
November 17th, 2008, 10:53 AM
DAGNY KNUTSON

Love the name...sounds like a boxer!:afraid:

TRYM_Swimmer
November 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I just checked the record book and it still shows Janet, but check out this forum:

http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?p=69835

What gives???

thewookiee
November 17th, 2008, 11:57 AM
It still shows Janet because the NISCA(high school federation) usually won't change things til either the high school season is complete or they have varied the results.

Also, they keep 2 sets of records. A public school, which is what Janet held, and a private school, which Ziegler holds. So, there are going to be 2 sets of records.

Plus, any high school swimmer that sets a "national record" has to do it in a high school sanctioned meet. Ziegler, while still in HS, swam faster than the national record a few times but it doesn't count since it was done in a USA meet.

tjrpatt
November 17th, 2008, 11:58 AM
A high schooler would get a state title in the 90s in Pennsylvania with a 4:34. I wonder why this girl was doing in the 500 free last year.

TRYM_Swimmer
November 17th, 2008, 12:18 PM
***** Plus, any high school swimmer that sets a "national record" has to do it in a high school sanctioned meet. Ziegler, while still in HS, swam faster than the national record a few times but it doesn't count since it was done in a USA meet. *****

Kate did it in a HS meet, and she did go to a private school, so I guess the American record counted, but not the Public High School record.

Jason Marsteller
November 18th, 2008, 04:34 PM
We keep a pretty deep set of national high school records on the site:
http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/records/USA_High_School_Records.pdf

Go to Records on our navbar if you don't want to bookmark the link.

Lump
November 18th, 2008, 05:28 PM
***** Plus, any high school swimmer that sets a "national record" has to do it in a high school sanctioned meet. Ziegler, while still in HS, swam faster than the national record a few times but it doesn't count since it was done in a USA meet. *****

Kate did it in a HS meet, and she did go to a private school, so I guess the American record counted, but not the Public High School record.

I feel under the same rule for the GA State HS record. I only swam like one official HS meet a year and the one time I did as a senior I dove in and my goggle filled up! Bummer! But I went under the record tons of times in USS meets.