PDA

View Full Version : 2008 GA Sr State with the kiddies, Dec 12-14

Glider
November 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Anyone interested in going to this USA Swimming meet. See the meet info here (http://www.swimatlanta.com/Nov/GA2008SCSENIORCHAMPIONSHIPS.htm). Qualifying times are here (http://www.teamunify.com/lscszgs/UserFiles/Image/Time%20Standards/gaqts0809.pdf). They do go back and verify your qualifying entry time in the USAS Swims database IF you don't make the qualifying time in the meet.

Since we don't have the St. Nick's meet, I'm planning on going if my shoulders will cooperate. I'm wondering if there will be any other masters swimmers there...

CreamPuff
November 18th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Anyone interested in going to this USA Swimming meet. See the meet info here (http://www.swimatlanta.com/Nov/GA2008SCSENIORCHAMPIONSHIPS.htm). Qualifying times are here (http://www.teamunify.com/lscszgs/UserFiles/Image/Time%20Standards/gaqts0809.pdf). They do go back and verify your qualifying entry time in the USAS Swims database IF you don't make the qualifying time in the meet.

Since we don't have the St. Nick's meet, I'm planning on going if my shoulders will cooperate. I'm wondering if there will be any other masters swimmers there...

I WAS very interested in doing this meet.
However, I've got my SCM meet in Coral Springs the weekend before and we're staying extra days for some R&R. Then we get back and the premier of Warren's film is that Wednesday - the day we get back. And that's a whole dress up kind of thing. Then the movie is released nation wide in theaters that Friday. I believe his reaction was, "You actually want to do a meet when my movie is released?!" I think it's a no for me.

want2beafish
November 28th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I'll be there for the prelims on Friday and Saturday, but I'm CERTAINLY not swimming, LOL!

Kristina, a movie?! That's really impressive!! Very cool!!

pwolf66
November 29th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Wow, I guess qual times do vary greatly between areas of the country. I would qual for 4 events in this meet where in Maryland, I barely make the 50 Free cut.

CreamPuff
November 30th, 2008, 11:25 AM
That is interesting Paul.
I qualified for the same number of events in Maryland or GA.

Looks like GA has slower time standards resulting in more swimmers participating in the Senior State meet.

Glider
December 15th, 2008, 11:25 AM
This meet at GA Tech was a blast. I swam the 100 BR on Friday and the 200 BR on Saturday. You can see the results here (http://www.swimatlanta.com/Dec08/FinalResults.htm). Olympians Gil Stovall and Amanda Weir were probably the most notable swimmers there.

In the 100, I raced a 16-year-old kid next to me. After my horrendous submarine start, he seemed to be a touch ahead of me the whole way. I gave everything I had the last 25 and touched him out by .04 seconds, winning the heat. I looked up and saw a 1:03.30 and was very happy. I split it 29.59 and 33.71. This was a masters PB by 1.9 seconds.

In the 200, I just wasn’t quite as motivated. I was a little tired and stiff from the day before. I had a decent start, but not great. I raced a 15 year-old kid next to me. Again, he seemed to be a touch ahead of me the whole way, until the 150 mark. I gave as much as I could the last 50 and touched him out by .5 seconds. My time was 2:25.81, tying my masters PB to the hundredth of a second.

Racing against the kids with similar speeds as me was fun, and at the end of the day, having someone next to me to race against helped me to swim faster. It brought out my competitive nature – both races were close and I wanted to win – I didn’t care how old he was.

There were some funny moments at this meet:

I was warming up Friday in the diving well and was about half way done when the lifeguard approaches me. She says, “ Sir, I don’t think you are supposed to be in there. This meet is a high school meet.” Of course I did have to set her straight – wrong on both counts…

Then, after I finished the 100 BR, and well, being it was the first event of the meet, I hadn’t noticed that they were doing dive-over starts. So being excited with my time I hopped out fairly quickly. The starter then had everyone stand down. At this point, I realized I had messed up, so I sheepishly tried to lay low, literally trying to hide beside the block on my hands and knees. At this point the meet referee, knowing I’m 49, comes rushing over, and says, “Sir, sir, are you alright?”, probably thinking I’m having a heart attack. That was so embarrassing.

And finally, I heard a second-hand story after my 100 BR from one of the dads that I swam against in our local adult summer swim league last year. He overheard one of the parents of one of the guys in my heat chastise his son after he had just done a PB, "Yeah, but you just got beat by a 49 year-old man." Of course I responded that I just got creamed by a bunch of 15 and 16 year-olds.

I ran into a few masters swimmers at this meet (in parental roles only) that were very encouraging. The volunteer timers (also parental units) were encouraging, too. And of course, Ed Saltzman, our GA Top Ten recorder and one of the meet officials here, never misses an opportunity to razz me – this time to "pick on kids my own age."

Donna
December 15th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Great job representing us older kids!

want2beafish
December 22nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
Glider, my husband and I remember you! We saw you swim both the 100 and the 200 breast, and were rooting for you! We were there to see our son swim on Friday and Saturday. It was great seeing someone near to our age kick some butt! Congratulations!

Glider
December 23rd, 2008, 09:42 AM
want2beafish, Thank you for your kind words. I wish I had the opportunity to have met you and your family (or did I?)

What events did your son swim? Was he rested or did he swim through the meet? How did he do?

Where are you from in GA? Do you swim and/or compete? Hope we get a chance meet the next time we're at the same pool...

Glider, my husband and I remember you! We saw you swim both the 100 and the 200 breast, and were rooting for you! We were there to see our son swim on Friday and Saturday. It was great seeing someone near to our age kick some butt! Congratulations!

want2beafish
December 26th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Hi Glider,

No, unfortunately we didn't have a chance to meet. We pretty much stayed in the stands on Friday and Saturday to spectate, and my son and I timed as part of his high school team fundraiser on Sunday.

My son is one of the skinny just-turned 15 year old kids who was happy just to have qualified for his events. He got his qualifying times three weeks before the meet. He swam the 50 free and the 100 fly this year, and will likely be back next year swimming more events. He was tapered, but added 1/3 of a second to his fly and .16 second to his free; turns out that he had pneumonia (was diagnosed on Sunday), so he's not too unhappy with his times given he was sick. :)

I live in Duluth, and swim masters at Swim Atlanta Sugarloaf and occasionally Hamilton Mill. I've done a few meets, but am not really fast enough to swim pool meets (at least not without embarrassing myself :blush:) and mostly stick to open water competition. I see you're from Alpharetta -- where do you swim?

pwolf66
December 26th, 2008, 09:53 PM
That is interesting Paul.
I qualified for the same number of events in Maryland or GA.

Looks like GA has slower time standards resulting in more swimmers participating in the Senior State meet.

Yeah, but you're scary fast while I'm just fast. :applaud: