PDA

View Full Version : help me to built a consistent freestyle learning strategy

edouard
November 19th, 2008, 02:33 AM
hi,

i have decided to learn proper freestyle technique but after having read a lot of material on the web I have the feeling that everything and its opposite is said by so-called expert.

A/
actually i am working my streamlining. arms extended, hand holding the kickboard, head in the water, nose pointing in the pool, locked legs, pointing feet in order to learn to kick with the hips.

this drill should improve head dissociation too, i am supposed to breath each 4 kicks and for 2 kicks alterning sides and withoud adding rotation to the body. I cannot do that without trashing the streamline.

B/
now regarding the EVF technique, i understand what happens with the arms in a lateral projection but not in the frontal projection. I saw a movie from french bernard "the perfect move" and his forearm seems to remain in the same lateral plane during all the EVF what i can't do. How does the EVF look when you face the swimmer?

C/
concerning the breathing. what is best to do to inspire
-rotate the head while keeping minimal body oscillation
-keep locked-head and amplify body rotation

I know all of these topics are largely on the web but i don't just know what views to choose.

thanks for your help

tomtopo
November 19th, 2008, 09:11 AM
The French sprinting stud has an EVF like every swimmer, his however is deeper due to his large and long frame. Rebecca Adlington has the best EVF I've ever seen while Bernard has a much longer / straighter EVF.

If you're on a surfboard you can imagine the different front and side views. Everyone should try to improve their EVF but individual anatomical strengths, weaknesses and differences create limitations.

A catch or Early Vertical Forearm is a motion common to every swimmer in the universe. Unless you swim with a completely straight arm in the first and second quadrant of a stroke, you are swimming with an EVF. The only question you should have is; how early do I get my arm vertical? Think of the catch from the standpoint of a bell curve, where on one end the swimmer swims with a perfectly straight arm and on the other end the swimmer rotates the hand under the elbow while the arm (above the elbow) is straight and touching the head. You can imagine itís impossible to find a swimmer who is strictly on either end. It's important to repeat that everyone should try to improve their EVF but individual anatomical strengths, weaknesses and differences create limitations.
Good luck, Coach T.