PDA

View Full Version : Nose clip?

anita
November 19th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Somehow I must have forgotten how to breathe while swimming during my hiatus and end up with burning sinuses by the end of my workout--especially doing IM work w/backstroke flips and SDKs. :confused:
I'm considering looking into a nose clip, but haven't a clue if they would work.
The Speedo Competition Nose Clip has good reviews.
Anyone have any experience with these?

imspoiled
November 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I haven't used the Speedo competition nose clip, but I have used their silacone nose clips. It took a little getting used to (I exhale through my nose much more than I realized), but I do like them.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/photos/3950-2T.jpg (javascript:OpenNewWindow('../PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=' + escape('3950'), 640, 480))

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 19th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I use the cheap one from Keifer. The reason water goes up your nose when you turn is because you are probably turning too slowly. The differences in pressure is why the water goes up your nose.

ensignada
November 20th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I like the Laxto coated wire ones. They do not fall off.

anita
November 20th, 2008, 12:29 PM
The reason water goes up your nose when you turn is because you are probably turning too slowly. The differences in pressure is why the water goes up your nose.

I injured my elbow yesterday so when I did do freestyle (slowly) this morning I concentrated on my breathing, thinking about your comment. It seems I'm not exhaling as forcefully as I should be. When I concentrated on that, very little or no water was sniffed.
When I'm back up to speed I'll have a better idea.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'll check them all out.

abc
November 20th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I like the Laxto coated wire ones. They do not fall off.

That's what she said.

david.margrave
November 22nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
same here, latex-coated wire nose plug. I use it sometimes for backstroke or underwater dolphin kick, because without it I have to exhale continuously through my nose while submerged on my back, which limits how far I can kick on starts and turns. Some people don't have to exhale though.

knelson
November 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Some people don't have to exhale though.

Those are the people who don't mind getting water up their nose! :)

anita
November 22nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
I use it sometimes for backstroke or underwater dolphin kick,

Yep. These are cheap enough that I'm going to try one out and see if it helps. Leaving now for the swim shop...

I'm not looking forward to the questions from the other lap swimmers regarding my using it. They question everything I do..."Where do you get your menu? (a cute term a nice Japanese gal uses instead of workout), "Why do you use fins?" "Why did you just flip and then stop?" @@, etc. And my all time favorite:
"Why do you have to swim so fast?"
These people are all wonderfully nice and very friendly to visit with in the mornings, but the nose clip will make them pause.

3strokes
November 24th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I'm not looking forward to the questions from the other lap swimmers regarding my using it. They question everything I do..."Where do you get your menu? (a cute term a nice Japanese gal uses instead of workout), "Why do you use fins?" "Why did you just flip and then stop?" @@, etc. And my all time favorite:
"Why do you have to swim so fast?"
These people are all wonderfully nice and very friendly to visit with in the mornings, but the nose clip will make them pause.

That is funny.
Expect this question then, "Why do you want to stop breathing?"
:confused: