PDA

View Full Version : keeping and finding motivation

swimkswim
November 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I recently quit swimming a few months ago. I swim almost everyday on my own because I have decided i will swim at college next year. I am starting to lose motivation, how do i keep my motivation?

inflictfreedom
November 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Sometimes you will lose it, and there's nothing you can do. It's not a bad thing, sometimes you need a break and that's fine.

Other times you can trick yourself into going. I have a hard time getting up in the morning, so I will put the alarm clock across the room to force myself up, or park the car in a zone that makes me move it early. Stuff like that ... also getting a group to go with you is best because you'll be less likely to disappoint them.

Set yourself up to succeed. Get lots of sleep, gather your stuff together so it's not a chore to grab it and head out the door. Plan your day/week with training in mind so that you're less likely to make an excuse to go grocery shopping instead of swim. Let your friends know what your goals are so they can support you.

Set your routine in advance, and know your goals for each week. You'll be more motivated to reach them if you're clear on it ahead of time. Make your goals reachable, and set them a little higher each time. When you achieve your goal, its a positive reinforcement.

Don't do the same thing everyday, if you really don't want to swim ... run, or do some dryland that will still accomplish or get you closer to your goals. Be creative with it.

Redbird Alum
November 20th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I recently quit swimming a few months ago. I swim almost everyday on my own because I have decided i will swim at college next year. I am starting to lose motivation, how do i keep my motivation?

It doesn't sound to me like you have quit swimming... you have changed your venue, and apparently now swim alone.

What exactly did you "quit" from and why?
What do you miss that is making working out less attractive to you now?

You said you want to swim in college next year... (who for?)
Have you contacted/met with that coach?
Have you asked what that coach expects of swimmers coming into the program?

Motivation comes from having a goal or mission... I think if you ponder the above questions, and think of your goals, you may find it again.

Mary1912
November 21st, 2008, 11:14 AM
You know, I always try and leave the pool wanting more. I almost always want to keep going but I do have to leave at a specific time. I used to get frustrated by this but now I see that it's helping my motivation.

Try not to think of swimming as an all or nothing proposition. That's why I quit and didn't come back for 20 years. I felt like I either had to be in a formal training and competition situation or not doing it at all. It's okay to cut back a little and modify things to keep your motivation going.

I hope you find what works for you. Good luck! :cheerleader: