PDA

View Full Version : Pool Design Help Request

pdjang
November 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hi everyone,

Besides masters swimming, I am part of a group that is trying to get our fair city to build a new pool in our city. All of the pools in our city are badly out of code ( built in 1961) and there is only one indoor pool (currently closed for renovation) that serves our citizens. The city has constructed two water parks (slides, fountains, zero entry wading pool, two 20 yard 3 feet deep lap lanes) that are only open during summer.

The city got a $11M windfall that was earmarked for a indoor aquatic center. Unfortunately, the city decided not use the money for a 50 meter indoor pool, but instead directed that a bigger water park be built.

Because the elections replaced several members of the city council and the mayor, there is a possibility to revise the plans.

We believe that we can "sell" a 25 meter by 25 yard pool as a replacement for the water slide/play area. A 50 meter pool may be too expensive given the economy and the increase in construction costs.

If some of you have plans for a pool or have been in similar situations, please PM me ASAP. We think that if we go the council work meeting and present our alternatives with a pre-existing plan, we may be able to change the city's plans and replace the water slide play area with a moderate sized pool.

Thanks in advance,
Philipp

rtodd
November 20th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Didn't Dennis Baker and Jim McConica build pools?

BillS
November 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Our local park and recreation district (link below) converted a fusty old 33 1/2 yard pool into a very nice 25 yard x 25 meter pool. We just successfully hosted the NW Zone meet. It can't hurt to contact the district and ask questions about how it was done.

http://hoodriverparksandrec.org/

BillS
November 20th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Arrggh, I see our swim team and masters links are out of date on the parks & rec site. That stuff makes me nutty.

Our team page has some pool info as well:

http://www.teamunify.com/Home.jsp?team=oshrvst

tjrpatt
November 20th, 2008, 09:32 PM
tell them about the insurance for the water slide. My old swim club has a water side seen at water parks and they have to close due to insurance hassles and costs. I am not an expert but I think that it would be cheaper to add the additional pool length for a 50 meter pool than the insurance on some of these water slides. Also, have part of the pool inside and part of it outside to cut construction costs. I was at one pool that covered during the winter with some sort of bubble or something and opened up in the summer time.

Ken Classen
November 21st, 2008, 11:16 AM
Linked is a pool in the surburban Denver area, it's 25 yards x 25 Meters has diving boards. Immediately behind the class windows is a modest indoor water park, zero entry pool, slide, play area etc. A nice combination center.

http://www.foothillsmasters.org/ridge.htm

hofffam
November 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM
The design of a pool has a huge influence on its versatility over the long haul. A versatile pool can be used for training, swim teams, swim lessons, and rehabilitation.

I suggest you consider a few things:

1. lanes are worth gold. An 8 lane pool is vastly better than a 6 lane pool. Not only can more people swim simultaneously, you can host a bigger or better meet that pays $$$.

2. seating. Even a basic set of aluminum bleachers makes it easier to host a meet ($$$ again).

3. evaluate if you can build a separate smaller pool at the end of the main pool. This pool can be shallower and possibly warmer - for teaching lessons where the main pool is too deep. Should still be far less expensive than a 50M pool.

4. the main pool should be built to meet competition (USA-S and/or FINA) depth standards. If not - you can't host many meets.

5. design for a timing system. If you are hosting electronically timed meets you need to accomodate touch pads.

Kevin in MD
November 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Go to usaswimming.org and look up "build a pool." They have a unit that is dedicated to doing exactly what you are talking about. The folks at usa swiming should be able to help get you going in the right direction.

osterber
November 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM
What Kevin said. USA Swimming is investing energy in this area, because they realize that (a) pools are in short supply, and (b) people generally don't understand how to build a pool, physically and politically. So they can help with a lot of those questions, ideas, etc.

-Rick