PDA

View Full Version : Need food ideas for AG swimmer!!!!

2fish&1whale
November 21st, 2008, 08:57 AM
What high calorie/low fat foods do you recommend to help build/maintain muscle?
My 13 year old swims 5-6 times per week and is having a hard time getting enough food in him to make up for the calorie loss, plus rapid growth spurt. He used to be pretty stocky, now he is getting scrawny!

knelson
November 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM
Peanut butter!

geochuck
November 21st, 2008, 10:03 AM
The perfect food - Peanut Butter, Toasted whole grain bread, butter and stawberry jam - the doctor told me so

You must consume proper amounts of protein, fat and carbs. I really laugh when someone says low fat foods.

spudfin
November 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM
I have the same thing going on at home right now with my son. It is all about calories and lots of them. One trick I use at 4:30 in the morning before practice is a smoothie. It goes like this.

1/2 banana
3 frozen strawberries
big scoop of yogurt
scoop of OJ concentrate
scoop of EAS protein powder(buy at costco cheap)
fill with soy milk(buy at Costco cheap)
MIX IN A BULLET BLENDER

In the car he eats a half bagel w peanut butter

He will actually consume it and it gets him through practice and he never complains of bonking

After practice on the way to school a protein bar just for calories

Good Luck
Spudfin

The Fortress
November 21st, 2008, 10:46 AM
I have the same thing going on at home right now with my son. It is all about calories and lots of them. One trick I use at 4:30 in the morning before practice is a smoothie. It goes like this.

1/2 banana
3 frozen strawberries
big scoop of yogurt
scoop of OJ concentrate
MIX IN A BULLET BLENDER

He will actually consume it and it gets him through practice and he never complains of bonking

Good Luck
Spudfin

I am a lazy terrible parent and would never get up at 4:00 to make smoothies. However, I frequently take my daughter to the smoothie shop (a burgeoning teen hangout) before or after practice.

I agree with George -- who cares if it's low fat? Probably just tastes worse.

I have a whole family full of endurance athletes who are always ravenous. My grocery bill is ridiculous. Peanut butter and protein bars are good. What about plain old carbs? My kids plow through whole grain muffins and bagels and such. And they'd happily eat pasta every meal. Carbs in fruits too. I find getting enough protein in them far trickier.

Pack big school lunches. My son usually gets a peanut butter and banana sandwich and a turkey sandwich with the works in addition to the fruit and such.

pwb
November 21st, 2008, 11:39 AM
What high calorie/low fat foods do you recommend to help build/maintain muscle?
My 13 year old swims 5-6 times per week and is having a hard time getting enough food in him to make up for the calorie loss, plus rapid growth spurt. He used to be pretty stocky, now he is getting scrawny!

See Michael Phelps' training table! Seriously, though, when I was swimming as a teenager through college (until I started drinking beer at the end of my freshman year) I and my male swimming friends could eat anything and everything and not worry about weight gain. I'd just focus on whole foods and get him oriented towards less processed foods -- unless you're vegetarians, make sure he's getting sufficient protein. I wouldn't worry too much about fat provided he's not taking in a lot of junk food.

I've got daughters now and we pretty much focus on driving home a "healthy" food message and really emphasize limiting the junk food.

Lump
November 21st, 2008, 11:59 AM

1/2 banana
3 frozen strawberries
big scoop of yogurt
scoop of OJ concentrate
MIX IN A BULLET BLENDER

Good Luck
Spudfin

and then during my main set....BARF!!!!

Can't eat before workout....at least not more than 1/2 a bagel.

pwb
November 21st, 2008, 12:13 PM
2fish&1whale,

You might also want to check out an issue of Men's Health. I've generally thought their nutrition advice is sound (though I am NOT a nutritionist) and geared well towards very active men. I recognize you've got a young man, but the basic principles should apply.

FYI: I know lots of people like the soy & whey protein supplements, but I generally find they don't agree with my constitution. I tend to aim for protein from eggs, turkey, ham, cheese, beans, etc.

anita
November 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM
My kids plow through whole grain muffins and bagels and such. And they'd happily eat pasta every meal. Carbs in fruits too. I find getting enough protein in them far trickier.

This is my problem as well for my hockey playing son. He will eat carbos by the truck load, but protein shakes are a horrifying thought, although I've tried. He will eat ham or peanut butter sandwiches for his school lunch, but dinner is always a struggle.
He eats 6 bowls of cereal (full fat milk) a day in addition to lunch and dinner.
I guess it's fine...he does not lack endurance, but being a defenseman, he could certainly use some more bulk!

knelson
November 21st, 2008, 12:29 PM
He eats 6 bowls of cereal (full fat milk) a day

I was going to mention cereal. A staple for most swimmers! I still eat lots of cereal. I try not to each super sugary cereals, but I also don't like the really plain stuff like Corn Flakes. Lately I've been digging Cinnamon Life.

PJElder
November 21st, 2008, 01:37 PM
I like Burritos, try LaBamba's if they have one nearby. They are located in a lot of Big Ten college towns.

I used to be able to put away two "Burritos as Big as your Head" back in high school and maintained weight swimming 10 times a week.

2fish&1whale
November 21st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks all for giving some great ideas!
Our big problem has been that he loves carbs but does not balance it very well with the protein.
Add to that a family history of high cholesterol(his is already elevated) and I do have to watch out for the fat.
He would prefer to eat a big steak or burger before practice, but I'm afraid it would make him sick or cause cramps during the swim.
We have also tried 6-8 small meals and I have even considered bringing an egg sandwich or something like that to school since he despises school lunch, but I doubt the school would let him eat anything outside of lunch period(like a cereal or protein bar).

anita
November 21st, 2008, 02:01 PM
He would prefer to eat a big steak or burger before practice, but I'm afraid it would make him sick or cause cramps during the swim.

I would always eat some before practice, then my dinner afterwards.

I liked PJ's idea of a burrito...my son can pound bean burritos, and they're fast to make. You can get vegetarian beans...not sure how beans fare with cholesterol. Corn tortillas are better than flour.

Ripple
November 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM
Not all fat is bad. Avoid fast food and bakery goods that might contain transfats. THings like nuts, fatty fish such as salmon, or olive oil drizzled over pasta and vegetables will give him plenty of energy and not raise cholesterol levels.