PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy and swimming

dolfinbabe
November 21st, 2008, 02:57 PM
I am pregnant in my first week!!!...but got questions as I am a keen masters swimmer and now have to go it alone for 9 months, as clubs make me naturally competitive and anti-natal classes for now are a wee bit slower than what I'd really wish to go - here my questions:

1. I can't find any info on the internet on whether or not doing a flip turn whilst being in the early stages of pregnancy would pose a risk to the fetus? How long into pregnancy did you go if you were continuing doing flips - just out of interest!?...

2. Also, does holding your breath on the flip (like going anaerobic for that short period) - is this a risk too? I've just improved massively on my turns with being able to hold my breath longer for the turn...so a bit of a shame if I have to go back to 'opens', - but not if it poses a risk to my baby!

3. I know that pregnant women should take it easy and NOT get 'out of breath'. I want to continue my swimming up to 3km or so gently in freestyle to maintain my fitness level. Obviously keeping well hydrated is number one, but I always have a big bottle of water/energy drink with me at all swims no matter what and hydrate before and after any workout.

4. I read that swimming pool environments, i.e: chlorine etc. could be a negative risk to the developing fetus and could cause miscarriage. Have any of you thought the same, what is your view on this - did it put you off? I think keeping swimming is better than NOT - hec everything around us poses a risk to the growing baby and I would be rather unhappy if I had to give up swimming completely - I love it to bits!!

Thanks for your time....

Allen Stark
November 21st, 2008, 03:57 PM
My wife swam throughout all three of her pregnancies.During the 2nd she was swimming 4000/day 5x/wk until shortly before delivery.She did flips until "the tummy" wouldn't allow it.It is my understanding that you are OK continuing whatever you were doing before pregnancy,but don't increase exertion.As to the chlorine problem,I'd be stunned if the risk/benefit ratio wasn't strongly in favor of swimming vs not.

swimshark
November 21st, 2008, 04:08 PM
I swam through my pregnancy with no issues other than normal pregnancy issues. As for flip turns, I did them as long as my belly allowed but when my stomach wasn't right (I had morning sickness through month 6) I would do open turns. I have not heard any issues relating to chlorine and miscarriage. Do watch your heart rate. If you feel too out of breath, take it easy and let your heart rate go down a bit. Don't do hypoxic at all. Good luck and enjoy.

gr82cu!
November 21st, 2008, 06:24 PM
Okay this is embarrassing ... but I'll fess up ...

I swam the 1 hour postal last January in the lane next to a woman who was 8 months pregnant. She was faster than me. :blush: But it kept me going. When I thought, ughhhh ... I'd look over to see how the "baby" was doing. I had to keep going. She had problems with cramps in her calves toward the end of the hour, but otherwise, she did fine.

I remember the advice than Allen referred to -- continue what you were doing before ... just don't increase the exertion.

Thing is ... during the 2nd month :bed:I slept huge lots. The vitamins helped once I started those.

Congrats,
Kathy

quicksilver
November 21st, 2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks for your time....

Congratulations.

You might find this thread interesting, along with some helpful links.
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=8321

dolfinbabe
November 22nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

It is great to know there are other women out there who have remained swimming and in good form throughout their pregnancies. Actually it's inspiring to read !! - I will be taking every week as it comes and listen to my body at all times - it's actually a good opportunity to work on stroke technique and really get into the other strokes and do drill work etc.

Really looking forward to my pregnancy and will post back here after first trimester to let you know how I get on. Yes, after I posted yesterday, I realised there were some other posts on this forum relating to my questions - well I'm new to navigating the site and didn't see them...This is a great forum btw and much more informative than our UK one if I may say so.

Happy maternity swimming!

dolfinbabe
April 8th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Thought I would log back in and give a wee update on my pregnancy and swimming.

Well, I never got to the end of the first trimester, miscarrying once more. That's my second (blighted ovum by week 11) miscarriage in 9 months !

However, had brilliant news today with my scan since getting pregnant once more and I am properly pregnant this time and could see a little spec on the screen with heart beat! :cheerleader: :bliss::bump:

I was told by almost everyone in my family to "stop the swimming" as if it might be the cause of previous miscarriages! But if you are like me, it's hard to 'stop' completely - I'm a former athlete and that's tough and even family members find it a hard thing to sort of understand and they get annoyed and upset as if I'm some kind of fanatic - which I'm not. However, to please all and give myself the best chance, I'm swimming very very easily x 2 a week and do x 2 walking. That's all I will allow myself to do (although I sort of know I could do more). Gynae said it must be very light swimming and NO flip turns or fly and NO JOGGING. - so I am doing what I'm told and finding a balance even if it is in 'granny gear'!

Will be back to update how I got on with the swimming this trimester.

Karen Duggan
April 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
The one thing I learned well is to listen to my body, especially while pregnant. Just do what YOU think is right.

I found as a pregnant swimmer it was ridiculous to keep my HR at 140. I could get up in the 180s and it would still come back down in a minute or so to a much lower level. As long as it came back down and I didn't feel "bad" I just kept doing it. Again, listen to your body.

As for flipturns, I did them until about 8 months with all. My number 3 came 5 weeks early (and spent 2 weeks in the ICN). I remember distinctly with him that two days before he came early I could no longer do flipturns! Nature tells us a lot if we just listen.

Congratulations, and keep posting.

I did have a lengthy blog but I guess it was deleted when they moved all of the blogs to another part of the site.

swimshark
April 8th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Thought I would log back in and give a wee update on my pregnancy and swimming.

Well, I never got to the end of the first trimester, miscarrying once more. That's my second (blighted ovum by week 11) miscarriage in 9 months !

However, had brilliant news today with my scan since getting pregnant once more and I am properly pregnant this time and could see a little spec on the screen with heart beat! :cheerleader: :bliss::bump:

I was told by almost everyone in my family to "stop the swimming" as if it might be the cause of previous miscarriages! But if you are like me, it's hard to 'stop' completely - I'm a former athlete and that's tough and even family members find it a hard thing to sort of understand and they get annoyed and upset as if I'm some kind of fanatic - which I'm not. However, to please all and give myself the best chance, I'm swimming very very easily x 2 a week and do x 2 walking. That's all I will allow myself to do (although I sort of know I could do more). Gynae said it must be very light swimming and NO flip turns or fly and NO JOGGING. - so I am doing what I'm told and finding a balance even if it is in 'granny gear'!

Will be back to update how I got on with the swimming this trimester.

I'm sorry you lost the 2nd one. As one who lost 3 before having my little guy, I know how hard they are to lose. I'm super excited that you have a good one this time. Don't listen to people who tell you that swimming had anything to do with miscarriages. I swam through all 4 of mine and I have a 4 year old to prove it. Do as much as your body feels well to do and enjoy this time. Sleep now because it's over for a while :)

ALM
April 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I did have a lengthy blog but I guess it was deleted when they moved all of the blogs to another part of the site.

Karen's "pregnant thread" is here:
Karen's pregnant blog - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums

USMSarah
April 8th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I'm so sorry about your previous miscarriages, but glad to hear that you saw a heartbeat on this bambino! Congrats!
Do what feels best and right for you. As the belly grows, you will certainly know when to modify what activities you are doing. Good luck to you - happy laps!

Karen Duggan
April 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks Anna Lea :)
I thought it was in cyber Heaven!

spell_me
April 9th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Congratulations!!!!! How exciting!! I'm yet another mommy who has kept swimming through pregnancy (actually, one of my pregnancies is what brought me back to swimming--I needed a low impact way to stay fit). Anyways, it sounds like you are taking a sensible approach to all this. Just remember to stay well-hydrated.

When the time comes, I just bet you will breeze through labor & delivery!

dolfinbabe
April 9th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Much thanks for all the encouragement and great posts - you are all inspirational to me!

samsim
September 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Hello I am 27 weeks along with first baby. I have swam the entire pregnancy-but have learned alot too. First of all, my doctors don't know much about competitive swimming and how swimmers train. They just don't. I decided, because I had two previous miscarriages, that I was going to look at the nine months as a maintenance time and not a performance improving time. The first trimester, I kept my heart rate under 140. I did this b/c of my age and miscarriage risk, not b/c of anything else. I know swimmers who swam "as normal" and didn't change a thing. Also, I couldn't do fly and still can't ( I am 400 IM swimmer). I had too much nausea, and then too much cramping to swim correctly, so I just do one arm. My legs cramp easily now, and My stomach cramps as well. I drink lots of water, and have switched to more pulling and fin kicking which has lessened the cramping. My weights and dryland were reduced to 50% of what i did before. Remember, you can train like crazy after a healthy delivery. I am still doing flip turns, but notice my breastroke kick is "too loose" from ligament changes-so I have to be careful. To be honest, I am NOT comfortable swimming b/c my body has changed and feels awkward-thus, my technique is off as well. hope this helps

orca1946
September 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Why would you stop working out at this time? It is good for both of you. Listen to your body & enjoy. A lady that was 7 mos finally slowed down to our lane's pace!!My wife ran thru all 9 mos. WOW - she weighed almost as much as me!!

dorothyrde
September 22nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
I was not a swimmer when I was pregnant, because I did not learn until my youngest was 7. I did work-out a lot during pregnancy, doing cario work, lifting weights and such. However, rule of thumb with exercise, do what you are doing before(unless it is sky diving or something) and as the pregnancy progresses, modify what you need to as you grow. The kids had a coach who said swimming(she said it became more like floating by the 9th month), was wonderful therapy in the latter stages.

There was an article on this website by two friends of mine, Nadine Day and Dr Millie Nelson who covered pregnancy, and miscarriages and swimming and such. I think it would be a good read for you. After several tries, Nadine was pregnant at this time last year(she was so cute at High School sectionals), and delivered a beautiful baby.

Despite what people will tell you, pregnancies usually do not miscarry because of some form of exercise, it is because of a problem in the body that is likely beyond your control at that time. It sounds like this time, it is not your issue, and you will be fine.