PDA

View Full Version : 2009 YMCA Masters Nationals info available

Glider
November 22nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
The Meet Entry Packet has been posted for the 2009 YMCA Masters National Championship (http://www.ymcaswimminganddiving.org/2009Masters.htm) on April 16 - 19, 2009 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

I'm seriously considering going to this meet instead of Clovis. I've found flight/lodging deals for under $400 available for the three days, and staying in the eastern time zone is a ton easier from a travel perspective.

Anyone else thinking about going to this meet?

Donna
November 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
Mark,

Where are you going to be staying? I am going to go as well. I am planning to bring my 10 year old son this time since he is on school break.

Are you bringing the kids this time?

Glider
November 22nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Not sure where I'm staying yet, but I saw some flights and reasonably good places on priceline.com. Check it out...No kids, just me this time $$$

Mark,

Where are you going to be staying? I am going to go as well. I am planning to bring my 10 year old son this time since he is on school break.

Are you bringing the kids this time?

tjrpatt
November 24th, 2008, 10:33 AM
If I do a nationals meet, it will be YMCA Nationals. I checked on orbitz and the flights were pretty cheap. You might have to fly in from Miami and leave from West Palm Beach but no layovers. Plus, Lauderdale sounds alot more exciting than Clovis plus there is this Cruise social.

swimcat
November 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM
i will be there again. hey, it is a no pressure meet maybe too easy for some of you. if i could medal last year with 2 torn muscles.
alot of people stay at courtyard accross from pool. early morning swims bring parka. and lots of sunscreen for afternoon one.
fly into lauderdale, cheaper than miami. i have stayed in mom and pop places in the past but may treat myself this year or stay with friends.
glider who are u swimming for> i may swim for my old Y,.
good meet lots of fun and sun..low key...
may want to do challenge meet in feb. to get feel of pool. which is fast.
:)
read hotel reviews on trip advisor, unless you are not picky.

bergsteiger
February 9th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Sorry if this a stupid question but do you have to join a local YMCA to be able to swim in the YMCA Nationals?

Donna
February 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM
There is a three month membership required. I just put out a question on the YMCA message board about whether a membership starting in February would qualify. I'll let you know when I hear or maybe Mel could answer that one if he sees this post.

Glider
February 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Here's the exact verbiage from the YMCA Competitive Swimming Black Book published by the YMCA of the USA Swimming and Diving Advisory Committee (see attached, note 90 days prior to April 16 is January 16):

Eligibility

The Rules That Govern YMCA Competitive Sports must be followed at all levels of YMCA competition. Some, but not all, of those rules are referenced below. Coaches, athletes and YMCA supervisors are responsible for knowing and abiding by the Rules That Govern.

Swimmers

YMCA Membership
A Swimmer must be a YMCA member who, after due application, is enrolled by the association as a member, entitled to full privileges, activities, and services of that association. This means that members of YMCA competitive teams must have full-privilege YMCA memberships that entitle them to the same activities and services as other full-privilege YMCA members.

A swimmer must be a member in good standing of his/her YMCA for 30 days prior to competing for that YMCA in a meet. The swimmer must be a member in good standing of his/her YMCA for 90 days prior to representing that YMCA in a district, regional, state or national championship meet. (Rules That Govern, Rule II Sec.1a) A swimmer may only represent his/her YMCA for at least 90 days prior to the YMCA National Championship Meet entry deadline in order to compete in that meet. The National Advisory Committee recommends that local, district, regional and state leagues and committees adopt the same rule for their championship meets.

There is a three month membership required. I just put out a question on the YMCA message board about whether a membership starting in February would qualify. I'll let you know when I hear or maybe Mel could answer that one if he sees this post.

geochuck
February 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Last time I swam in the regular YMCA Nationals, the meet was held at Yale University in 1955 I believe. Some great swimmers there, Al Wiggins, Jack Nelson to name a couple.

bergsteiger
February 9th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I don't know if it would have any bearing in the matter but I did pay a fee to swim at the Y for the summer with their team. I had to fill out paperwork but wasn't an official member--that probably doesn't meet the requisite of being a "member in good standing for 90 days".

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone. Maybe next year!

mermaid
February 10th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I think they are enforcing this rule this year. They were lax on it in years past.

You need to be a YMCA member to compete in any YMCA meets. Further, you need to be a "full facility" member of the YMCA for which you intend to represent at nationals.

bergsteiger
February 10th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I joined the YMCA today--it is so close, I probably should have already anyway. Wonder if they would count my summer time swimming with the team along with the time now? I will see if I can find out there although the pool is closed in the winter and there may not be anyone around that knows.

carlos_fernandez
February 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Is it possible to go UNAT? I just have always wanted to swim at that pool, and now that I'm in the area...

(Although I'm completely out of shape swimming-wise; golfer's elbow.)

Glider
February 10th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Sorry Carlos, but no go. You would swim for your YMCA. Last year's results confirm this - there are NO unattached swimmers.

This makes sense since an eligible swimmer "must be a YMCA member who, after due application, is enrolled by the association as a member, entitled to full privileges, activities, and services of that association. This means that members of YMCA competitive teams must have full-privilege YMCA memberships..."

Is it possible to go UNAT? I just have always wanted to swim at that pool, and now that I'm in the area...

(Although I'm completely out of shape swimming-wise; golfer's elbow.)