PDA

View Full Version : Best Method to improve speed?

Gameaholic
November 22nd, 2008, 10:49 PM
Any suggestions?

geochuck
November 23rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
You have to train fast to become fast.

Allen Stark
November 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM

Agreed,you must do some race pace or faster sets in your workout.Also I'm not a believer in waiting until the end of workout to do sprints.You want your sprinting form to be as good as it can be.

isobel
November 23rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
You need to train 100s fast, not just 25s or 50s, I think. And you need to be prepared to occasionally feel like you might throw up.

ehoch
November 24th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Swimming should be so simple - there are really only 3 ways to improve your times:

a) better technique - easier said than done, but this will make you faster
b) maintaining your sub-max speed at a higher level over a given distance - swimmers spend about 95% of their time here.
c) improve your maximum speed - swimmers spend traditionally very little time here.

Maximum speed means not even a 25 - usually humans can maintain their max only for 5-6 seconds - but a 25 seems good enough and it's esaier to work with.

So sprint a 25 and have somebody time you - if you can go from the blocks for most of your workouts do it from a dive -- if you do most of it from a push - use that.

Anything within 5-10% of that time will help your max speed - anything slower will not.

Resistance training on land and in the water will help you.

Sprint kicking / using zoomers / paddles for sprints can help you

Bands can help you simulate a pace faster than max speed - very useful.

pwolf66
November 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Except it's not quite that simple. You also need to look at:

1) Reducing form drag - this is the drag inherent in the manner in which your body is presented to the water. Tighter streamline, smaller cross section, less body mass.
2) Reducing active drag - Technique plays a key role here.

Midas
November 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM
To me, the three ways to improve speed are:

1. Increase Strength--To an extent, being stronger will make you faster. This includes both in the water and dryland training. I think this is most relevant for sprinters.
2. Improve Technique--This is the most obvious, and probably most difficult, way to improve speed.
3. Improve Endurance--The better your cardiovascular fitness, the faster you will swim, particularly over distances exceeding 25s or 50s.

Other things that might improve speed:
A. Improve flexibility--This can help on starts, turns and kicking, in particular. Ankle flexibility has been cited as one of the many physical attributes Michael Phelps possesses that most mere mortals don't.
B. Improve diet--I'm no nutritionist but I'm sure eating a balanced diet will help improve speed and build muscles.

I'm sure there are others but those are what come to mind quickly.

tomtopo
November 25th, 2008, 08:58 AM
geochuck is right. Like most every other sport, specificity of training is a must. From one extreme, channel swims to the other, 50 sprints, if you want to excel at one then a majority of your training should reflect that race. Of course technical improvements and strength improvements (athleticism) must not be overlooked. Specificity is the key. Good luck.

JimRude
November 25th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Word.

Lump
November 25th, 2008, 03:56 PM

Tru dat!:agree: