PDA

View Full Version : Poll on competitive history pre-Masters

jim thornton
November 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
I am curious how many of the posters here swam in high school, college, etc. and how close to the top you got. Thus the following not terribly detailed poll.

elise526
November 23rd, 2008, 09:29 PM
Swam all four years of college. Swam in NCAAs in finals on the 200 and 400 medley relays. We got in the top six on both relays. Don't remember exactly what place. All I remember is that our finish qualified us to be NCAA All-Americans.

jim thornton
November 23rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
I wanted to keep the number of categories from getting too lengthy, so I figured that anyone who swam in the NCAAs and did really well would probably have gone to Olympic trials, too. I am curious if you qualified for these, elise, and opted not to go; or if being All American does not automatically qualify you for Olympic trials.

elise526
November 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
I wanted to keep the number of categories from getting too lengthy, so I figured that anyone who swam in the NCAAs and did really well would probably have gone to Olympic trials, too. I am curious if you qualified for these, elise, and opted not to go; or if being All American does not automatically qualify you for Olympic trials.

I swam Division III. No, not good enough to qualify for Olympic Trials. There was, however, a girl on our relay, who swam in the Olympic Trials in 1980 or 1984 - Julie Ginden. At the time she swam for us she was Julie Hogan - married to Pat Hogan, the Dynamo swim coach. I believe she originally started out swimming DI, but transferred because she got married.

It would be interesting to find out the number of those that swam in Division III that did qualify for Olympic Trials. Some of the top two finishers might have, but I suspect most who had the talent to qualify for Olympic Trials would have swam DI.

slknight
November 23rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
Swam Division I in college on scholarship and swam in Olympic Trials (88 and 92).

Red60
November 23rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
Swam age group and high school, intended to swim Division III (Kenyon) but got there and figured out that a) I would likely be a scrub, and b) I had other things I wanted to do, so never swam a stroke. For me, a great decision. Had a great college experience. Took me a long time to work my way back to the pool.

jeffkuykendall
November 23rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
I swam one year division 1, then had a string of injuries. Swam 1 full season of NAIA, got my All-American honorable mention certificate and that was that. I didn't swim again for about 15 years until I got invited to watch 2004 Olympic Trials in Long Beach and got all excited again. Now I work out for a few weeks every spring and go to Masters Nationals to see old friends and have fun.:chug:

david.margrave
November 23rd, 2008, 10:33 PM
USS + 2 yrs H.S. Burned-out on the waking at 4:30 AM business.

Allen Stark
November 23rd, 2008, 10:37 PM
I swam 4 years at Rice(team captain 2 yr.)We were Div 1,but no scholarships.The team now has scholarships,but no male swimmers.

isobel
November 23rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
I swam until I had to race 50 yards. Then I quit. Was sooo burned out. I think I was 12. Didn't start swimming competitively until I joined masters in 2000.

The Fortress
November 23rd, 2008, 10:54 PM
Swam one year at Dartmouth College, Div 1, no scholarships. Injured rotator cuff shortly before Ivy League Championships. Swam anyway, but cancelled plans to go to other championships meets. Quit swimming due to injury and burnout and carried on being a nerd. Stayed away for 24 years.

Glenn
November 23rd, 2008, 11:22 PM
Swam Div III / NAIA no NCAA D - III in my day. Swam for three years and was captain of the team junior year. Joined the gymnastics team and competed in floor exercise and parallel bars senior year. Have been swimming Masters since 1979.

aztimm
November 23rd, 2008, 11:39 PM
I didn't see an option for, "None of the above." Sure I learned to swim as a kid, but was never on a team until Masters.

tjrpatt
November 24th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I swam one year at a Division I school and got some scholarship money in the second semester of my freshmen year. Wasn't good enough for Trials, a National Cut or even a Junior National Cut. I think that I might have made a Olympic Trial cut if I came from a Higher income family. It is almost impossible to make the Olympics or Trials if you come from a low income household. Of course, there are exception such as you get discovered by a Bob Bowman, Eddie Reese, or Richard Quick type coach.

michaelmoore
November 24th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I didn't see an option for, "None of the above." Sure I learned to swim as a kid, but was never on a team until Masters.

I too vote for none of the above.

michael

knelson
November 24th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Swam four years Division I (Michigan State). I was definitely a scrub. I got to swim at Big Tens two years, but never dreamed of qualifying for NCAAs.

Rykno
November 24th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Swam for Northeastern fall 93 through mar 96 then our school cancelled the mens team.

We competed in NAC the first two seasons, then switched over to American East. I think the Ladies currently compete in CAA.

Never qualified for Nats on any level. But was a AAA-AAAA swimmer since I was 9-10....stopped comparing when i was 17-18 and just accepted that I was a 1:02 100 yd breaststroker. 59,9 was not meant to be.

dorothyrde
November 24th, 2008, 08:17 AM
None of the above. Learned to swim at age 38. First competition age 40.

charged
November 24th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I'm not in a masters swim program yet, I'm goning to make sure I can swim w/o hurting myself before I join a program. I swam three years at Armijo High School and the 1991 spring semester at Solano Community College in CA.

pdjang
November 24th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I swam at Southern Oregon State for Lee Howard in the 70's (NAIA). The mens and womens programs were dropped in the mid 90s.

At the 2008 Mt. Hood, Oregon LCM Nats, about 20 people from our (dream) teams of yore had a reunion. Lee Howard came out of his nth retirement to coach us.

We had a great time at the meet and made a lot of new memories as well as recalled some really fun times (in the sauna)!

We swam relays, did our old college cheer, stayed in the same house (sleeping bags on floor) and had great parties. I can't remember swimming very well, but it was a priceless meet.

gobears
November 24th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Swam Division I in college on scholarship and swam in Olympic Trials (88 and 92).

Ditto but I'm older--qualified for '84 and '88 Trials. Only actually swam in '84. Was finished with college in '88 and burned out...

slknight
November 24th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Ditto but I'm older--qualified for '84 and '88 Trials. Only actually swam in '84. Was finished with college in '88 and burned out...

Yeah, 92 trials was in the spring (unlike 88). It was the last meet I swam. I was so burned out and so happy to be done. Our relay had made the consideration times for NCAAs and I was so happy when it didn't make it. I just wanted to be done.

What did you swim at Trials? 100 fly here. :banana:

hofffam
November 24th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Swam club (AAU) and high school. Didn't make it to state.

pwb
November 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Swam four years at U of Texas and came frustratingly close to Olympic Trials cuts in both the 400 free and 400 IM in 1988 ... I can't say every day was fun and missing those cuts (as well as getting close to NCAA cuts in my senior year) was a huge bummer, but the college swimming experience was fabulous. Fortunately for me, I was a distance guy, didn't mind the 1000 - 500 dual meet duo and tended to swim pretty consistently in season so I got to travel. Travelling with the team was a blast, except for one notorious blowout by the Cardinal.

My all-time best swimming experience, though, came when I was in the Peace Corps after college and managed to find my way to both helping coach and swim with the Swaziland National Swim team (on weekends away from my normal teaching duties). I got to go to a southern African swim championships (minus South Africa) in Mozambique shortly after the civil war had subsided. Aside from catching malaria while I was there, it was an infinitely cool swim meet.

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 24th, 2008, 10:17 AM
It's too bad we couldn't check everything we did swim. I didn't swim in age-group (My father didn't like the coach. She was too religious for him.) but swam in high school and i year. I wonder what the bar graph would have looked like then.

Jeff Commings
November 24th, 2008, 10:57 AM
We definitely have one foreign Olympian poster here, and it looks like he's voted. Or is there another lurking around?

I swam at Texas for four years, swam at two Olympic Trials, was on the USA Swimming national team for five years.

And Michael Phelps is a poster? Cool!

ensignada
November 24th, 2008, 11:32 AM
None of the above. Started swimming with intent in 11/06 and went to my first meet ever in 8/07 at 43 years.

Wish I had swum as a kid though. I think I would have liked it.

Leonard Jansen
November 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM
None of the above. Didn't learn to swim until age 39.

-LBJ

Glider
November 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I think that was Stephanie Rice posting for him:banana:

We definitely have one foreign Olympian poster here, and it looks like he's voted. Or is there another lurking around?

I swam at Texas for four years, swam at two Olympic Trials, was on the USA Swimming national team for five years.

And Michael Phelps is a poster? Cool!

knelson
November 24th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I'm always amazed by those who've started swimming competitively after not even knowing how to swim until adulthood. That's really astounding! But I also can't imagine going through childhood and never swimming.

jim thornton
November 24th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I apologize for leaving out what surely would have been a significant category--i.e., did not swim at all until taking up the sport in adulthood. I realized my mistake shortly after posting the poll but was afraid that if I tried to redo things to add this category, it would screw up all the other entries so far.

Somehow, I don't believe Michael Phelps is THE Michael Phelps, but if it is, please give us lumpenproletarians some advice. Actually, I am pretty sure that Dara occasionally checks this discussion out. I have read that there is a huge Phelps-bump for age group swimming right now. Maybe Dara could trigger a similar Torres-bump for masters.

In any event, it's nice to see such a diversity here in our ranks. I swam for one year at Michigan, the second worst person on the team, and met a predictable fate at the end of the first season. In this, it seems that I am continuing through life as a prototype of an Average Man, what with 1 year of college swimming the most common experience in the poll so far.

I am curious to what extent former glory (or lack of it) predicts Masters glory. To wit, if anyone is willing to share their top Top 10 accomplishment in conjuction with their youthful success, I think this could be eye-opening. I am pretty sure that Leslie Livingston, who swam only one year at Dartmouth, has swum No. 1 times, at least in relays.

Has anyone set a world record in masters without at least qualifying in youth for Olympic trials?

My own best ranking was 4th in a couple LCM events the year I turned 50, which was light years better than I ever did as a youngster.

How about the rest of you? Has anyone who took up swimming as an adult ever made the Top 10? (Please, Ion, god love you, but this is not a solicitation!)

jim thornton
November 24th, 2008, 11:56 AM
PS if anyone knows how to add a category to the poll at this point--i.e., I did not swim competitively till after I became an adult--please let me know how to do so.

knelson
November 24th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Has anyone set a world record in masters without at least qualifying in youth for Olympic trials?

Not a WR yet, but Kristina U announced in her blog that she swam a 1500 SCM within 8 seconds of the world record on Friday. She didn't swim in college and I'm pretty confident she never qualified for OTs.

michaelmoore
November 24th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I

Margery Meyer
Jean Durston

Both started late in life.

michael

Frank Thompson
November 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM

In Michigan Masters both Jewel Cooke and Lois Nochman never swam in the Olympic Trials and both swimmers have set World Records.

jim thornton
November 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM
First of all, Michael, love your films!

Forgive me for not knowing my masters swim history as well as I should, but i am wondering if you have any info of these two swimmers. Until fairly recently, opportunities for women swimming in college were limited at best. I wonder if it would be possible today to set a world record in masters without extensive early experience. Kristina Ulveling's closing in on the mile record is very impressive, but I am pretty sure she at least swam as an age grouper if not in college per se.

Just as it is MUCH easier to learn foreign languages pre-puberty, I wonder if the brain has critical periods for the acquisition of very specific muscle skills. It does seem a lot harder to get really, really fast or proficient at any sport if you don't have a foundation laid down early in life that you can build on later on.

poolraat
November 24th, 2008, 01:13 PM
None of the above for me too. I took up swimming as a 48 year old and my only previous swimming experience was from Red Cross lessons as a kid and Boy Scouts.

orca1946
November 24th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I swam in hs 4yrs, 3 years in college at Ill State Univ. Took time off for about 17 yrs & did triathlons . Started up with Masters at 39 & am still at it! I,m 62 this season & hope to repeat as High Point Trophy winner at state?~!!

Redbird Alum
November 24th, 2008, 01:23 PM
2 yrs high school in Calif, 1 year AAU (hs) in Indiana, 1 year YMCA (hs) in Illinois and then 4 years at Illinois State University (Div 1) when they used to have a men's team. After a few years, started back up with Masters.

gobears
November 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah, 92 trials was in the spring (unlike 88). It was the last meet I swam. I was so burned out and so happy to be done. Our relay had made the consideration times for NCAAs and I was so happy when it didn't make it. I just wanted to be done.

What did you swim at Trials? 100 fly here. :banana:

100/200 Breaststroke. I know what you mean. I think the '88 Trials weren't until the end of the summer or even later (?) I know I wasn't excited to train another 3 months. Seems like sooooooo long ago! I guess it was!

orca1946
November 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Go Redbirds!! I swam for the old guy Archie Harris from 1964 thru 1967, yes when they had a guys team. Are you still in Masters? I swim for the Elgin Blue Wave.
Will you be doing any meets this season? Or go tho state at U I C in April?

Redbird Alum
November 24th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Orca -

Also swam for Archie from 1976 thru 1980. ISU still has a women's team.

I am swimming solo, locally, as there aren't any close teams in the area. Hopefully, I'll get to one or two meets this year, but between the job and my two daughters, meets are one of the first things to go.

"Keep swimming, you're not out of deep water. yet!"

orca1946
November 24th, 2008, 01:53 PM
If you are ever in the Nw suburbs & want to swim on a M - w eve or a Sun morning , let me know. If you want to swim at state on April 16 - 19 ,2009 at UIC in Chicago, let me know & we can get you to join our 3rd place in state team . I think you must join well b4 state. Good to hear from a ISU swimmer! Post on the Ill forums so we can keep in touch! I know the pulls from other things in life. Our daughter just got married!!

orca1946
November 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM
If you are ever in the Nw suburbs & want to swim on a M - w eve or a Sun morning , let me know. If you want to swim at state on April 16 - 19 ,2009 at UIC in Chicago, let me know & we can get you to join our 3rd place in state team . I think you must join well b4 state. Good to hear from a ISU swimmer! Post on the Ill forums so we can keep in touch! I know the pulls from other things in life. Our daughter just got married!!

There are only 3 important things in swimming you - the water - the clock!

LMH
November 24th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Started swimming at age 5. Local program was not very strong, but went went to prep school for 1 year and really improved.
In high school I was a 1 man team and went to PIAA states and placed 24 after being seeded last.
Went to a division III college. Missed qualifing for Nationals by .01 seconds. Voted most improved and most valuable swimmer by team mates my senior year and was captain both Junior and Seniors years in college.
Held college records for about 20 years in 100 and 200 breaststoke.
Started coaching after college and then went into masters swimming.
I am still an assistant coach for local high school and YMCA teams and swim masters in our local YMCA program.
I am now 52, still swimming and enjoying the water.
Jim you must not have been very tired after Sundays meet to go home and post this thread.

Maui Mike
November 24th, 2008, 05:07 PM
[quote=orca1946;161185]Go Redbirds!! I swam for the old guy Archie Harris from 1964 thru 1967,

Weren't the NCAA College Div (they didn't call it Div II back then) championships hosted by your school (and Archie Harris) back in '64 and '65? I swam for San Diego State back then, we won the team championship both years. But the second year four of us got a little too celebratory (alcohol induced) and went on an uninvited and very noisy midnight visit to one of the womens dormitories --- our evening ended up in the local slammer. Made the wire services but our coach had to tell the Aztec press office to cancel the welcome home at the airport since he and us bad boys wouldn't be on the plane due to a pending court appearance.
Met a young lady from Normal IL a few years later who said that our spiritedness had inspired her to transfer to San Diego State!

ericl
November 24th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Count me as none of the above

swim4me
November 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Earliest memories, 'swimming' in 1 ring blow up pool in front yard. Dad in AF so we moved around a lot, but always loved being in the water. At 12, moved to CA and neighborhood with summer league. Was hooked. Swam summer league and high school, league record in 100 breast at 16 (last summer league swim in CA). Then we moved to NM. Missed my junior year to swim - CA swims in spring, NM swims in fall, we moved in DEC (I am still angry at my parents and we moved in '78). Good thing was that I made state in NM - 100 breast - would not have made state in CA. Stopped swimming after high school. Started again 2 years ago when masters started nearby and I love it as much as ever!!!!! :fish2:

jim thornton
November 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Maui Mike's post reminded me of an amusing wedding post in Illinois. The headline read simply Normal Girl to Wed Oblong Boy.

I have never been to Oblong, Illinois myself, but it sounds like Mike at least met one resident of Normal.

Midas
November 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I swam as an age grouper, then for HS and YMCA teams, and finally swam 2 years of Div. III at Trenton State College, after which I thought I had had enough swimming to last me a lifetime. I was wrong, apparently, though I did have a 14 year layoff (I came back to swimming last year). I never made NCAAs and in fact swam slower in college than I did in high school. I now swim as fast (in 100s) as I did in high school and faster than I did in college. 200s are a different story, but I'm close to as fast as I was in college while doing about 20-30% of the training I did in college. It can't all be the suits these days, can it?

rtodd
November 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Graduated from Town of Huntigton swimming lessons at the beach (one session at age 8). Voted all back yard in 12ft above ground whirlpool making, marco polo and cannon balls.

Seriously, I started from absolute zero at age 40 and I am loving it. I finally don't embarass myself at meets and I'm determined to swim real good times before age 50.

Glenn
November 24th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Midas,

I mentioned that I swam at a Div III college but didn't bother to say it was Trenton State...........! Didn't think anyone else had gone there!

Glenn Gruber TSC class of '71

Animal
November 24th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Started swimming my 10th grade year in a Los Angeles City High School, placed 5th in the 200 and 500 free as a senior, swam 1 year at Colorado State University, a D1 school. Colorado State dropped the men's team after my freshman year. Swam another year on an age group team. Quit for 22 years until someone challenged me to swim against them. They one the first time we raced, but not since. Have been in Masters for 5 years and having a boatload of fun with it. Plus, I can eat almost anything now. Am lighter by 20 pounds from almost six years of swimming.

jim thornton
November 24th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Jim Matysek, our very kindly and sagacious high technology wizard, has added the category I did not add originally, i.e., "I didn't swim competitively until adulthood."

Please, if you are one of the many posters here that have mentioned this describes you, go back and vote accordingly if it allows you to.

Thanks! So far, it seems like a very nice distribution of past histories of swimming, with the median point seeming to be somewhere around 1 year of college swimming--with half of us reporting more, half of us less reporting less, younger swimming experience. If the folks who haven't swum at all till adulthood add their votes, it might tilt things slightly in the "less experienced" direction.

In any event, I think it's very cool that our sport brings together people with so many different backgrounds in the sport. And I would also like to point out how helpful the really great performers have been to the rest of us--guys like Ande and Chris Stevenson are just a few of the greats that pop immediately to mind!

Thanks!

SwimRobin
November 24th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Started swimming AAU with Greater Lexington Swim Association when I was 5 years old. I swam country club, high school, YMCA and USS swimming (Y-Lexington Thoroughbred Swim Team) until I graduated from high school in 1985. Qualified and swam at YMCA Nationals in 1983. Returned to the pool and Masters swimming in 2003.

dorothyrde
November 25th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I'm always amazed by those who've started swimming competitively after not even knowing how to swim until adulthood. That's really astounding! But I also can't imagine going through childhood and never swimming.

I loved the water as a child, but never "swam". I could dog paddle, swim a bit above water, never learned any breathing. Managed to stay afloat enough to pass the 4 links test to go off the diving board. When I started adult lessons at age 38, I could swim a 25.......then stop and gasp. Flip turns made me panic, as did anything underwater on my back. I have come a long way.

Blackbeard's Peg
November 26th, 2008, 12:27 AM
great thread jim.

i swam summer league and jr/sr year of HS only before joining masters. no uss no ymca, no ncaa

Doug Adamavich
November 26th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Started swimming competitively in 7th grade, started swimming year-round after that.

Swam all the way through High School, not quite good enough for state.

Swam for the Haucker at St. Olaf (Class of 1991) for four years. Was on a VERY tough team and only lettered two years. Great experience though, wish I could relive those days...

Body and mind was fatigued by the Spring of 1991, took some years off.

Discovered mountain biking, hiking, rollerblading, jetskiing, and wakeboarding.

Started to miss swimming...

Got on a team in 1999 (Sun Devil Masters) and was coached by Ron Johnson, Simon Percy, Mark Gill, and others. Have done four Nationals (LCM 1999, SCY 2003, SCY 2007, LCM 2008) and a bunch of local meets. Got involved in the LMSC (blame Mark Gill for that!) and became Chairman two years ago.

Love to train and compete, got LCM penciled in for 2009 and 2010.

The journey is the most fun though, have learned so much throughout my swimming career and grown immensely as a person.

waves101
November 26th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Started at age 11 in the age group program. Swam summers in USS (back then) and in the middle school or high school seasons. Attended a couple of Y National events and then swam 4 years for Grand Valley State (DII). Was never of National or NCAA quality (not even close). Got into USMS 10 years after college. Have participated in a few Nationals (both SCY and LCM) usually outside the Top 10 looking in.

2fish&1whale
November 26th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I learned to swim at 5 in OW and then switched to the pool, but managed to have my ankle completely shattered in an accident -on the way home from swimming.
My PT was------wait for it----more swimming.
Unfortunately I also lived in a country that did not offer competitive HS sports and any swim leagues that existed where too far away.
The only way one could have gotten advanced training in anything other than soccer or handball or what not was by leaving home and staying in one of the sports academies.

Oh, and add to this the fact that I was a teen in the early 80's and a good number of swimmers that I had admired where testing positive for drugs.It just ruined the sport for me for a while.
I still don't compete, but after 3 years back in the pool I have found that swimming has been the best sport for me-mentally and physically.

Anthony Thompson
November 26th, 2008, 11:47 AM
As many I started competing with AAU, continued through high school, and swam 2 year at NCAA III. Since my education came first, I did a study abroad program in London England and a science semester at Oak Ridge National Labs (where I first met some masters swimmers).

I think my successes in USMS have been motiviated by my abbreviated NCAA tenure, as I never made national cuts even in NCAA III. I have been ranked in USMS Top Ten in Breaststroke, Butterfly and IMs over a couple of age groups, with a few placings at USMS national as 2nd or 3rd and two FINA masters medals from Worlds.

Our Pre-Masters History can be a drive motivator. How about others ?

Paul Smith
November 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Started playing water polo as a sophmore in high school, liked it so joined the swim team in the spring. Walked on at UCSB mainly for polo, swam as well. Made NCAA's cuts in 50/100 free & 100 fly and all 3 relays sophmore, junior (made trails cuts in 100 fly & 100 free) and senior years, university games team member senior year, stayed a 5th year and played polo taking 3rd at ncaa's...took some time off to travel europe and came back and swam in 84' trials (100 free).

Slowswim
November 26th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I didn't swim until OCT 05 at age 43. My first competition was DEC 07 and my second was Colony Zones last Summer.

I swim solo since there are no Masters Teams near by (except one with 50+ on the wait list).

Maui Mike
November 27th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Paul Smith --- "Walked on at UCSB "

Was Rick Rowland still coaching there at that time?

want2beafish
November 28th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Learned how to swim at age 5 or 6 by taking Red Cross lessons every summer in the bay. Always wanted to take lessons in a pool, but Mom said it was a no-go. I remember asking my mother if I could swim on a summer league team when I was about 10, but she said no. She was of the school that girls shouldn't be involved in competitive sports. I became a lap swimmer when I was in college (I wish I had known about Masters then!), but didn't join a Masters team until I was 39. I'm turning 43 next week, and am still playing catch-up. My goal is to keep up with the people who swam club and in high school. It isn't happening yet, but maybe someday... I really think that for most of us who started swimming structured workouts as adults, it's tough to make up for lost time. The upside is that I'm never frustrated trying to swim as fast as I did when I was a kid, because I'm at my fastest now!

Paul Smith
November 28th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Paul Smith --- "Walked on at UCSB "

Was Rick Rowland still coaching there at that time?

Mike, Rick was at Pepperdine at that time...Gregg Wilson was/is the UCSB coach.

Fred Munson
November 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Jim,

Although the maximum extent of my youthful swimming was one year of college during my freshman year, I must say that I became a faster swimmer as a master.

Fred Munson

notsofast
November 28th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Started swimming at 42, six years ago. We actually had a little above ground pool when I was a kid, but my brother's idea of swimming was holding my head underwater till I thought I would drown.

Of course, now I'd call that a hypoxic drill.

mctrusty
November 28th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I started swimming in HS in the UP of MI, not an area known for swimming. Swam 4 years' Div 3 at Alma College and missed a NCAA B cut in the 200 back by 1/10s of a second. Took 8 years off after school until I started swimming masters last year.

jim thornton
November 29th, 2008, 01:25 PM
A possible Dara post may be forthcoming! I asked her to do this on Facebook, and she said she would if she can find the thread, so I am posting to get it up near the top!

ensignada
November 30th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Jim, you can also post the link to the thread for her.

CreamPuff
November 30th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I swam USS from 10 to 18. Also swam summer league and high school.

I marked club swimming on the poll as the high school program I swam with was poor (I showed up for the meets in high school). Never swam college. Took a break from swimming from 18 to 30.

Made JR National cuts once at age 15 in the 100 yard fly. Never swam distance free - was a sprinter all through my USS career if you can even call it that. I stuck to 100s and under. I did 200s if forced but they always felt TERRIBLE in part b/c I never practiced hard. Swam the 500 free twice. Once at age 11 when I was forced to by my coach. Swam it again in high school to break the school record which I did with something like a 5:27 (I swim a 5:12 now).

Kirk, thanks for the mention on my 1500 m free that I just swam. I think that 8 seconds is still a big chunk of time. However, this was the second time that I swam that event . . . ever.

My current USS coach asked me, "What happened [with your swimming] when you were younger?"
Don't really know.
Was not very interested in the sport. Just sort of did it.
Never trained hard if I showed up at all. I remember NEVER being sore. Although in all honesty I'm rarely sore now unless I do some weights. Attendance was always an issue.
Was on some 1st generation antihistamines 24/7 from age 10 to 18 for severe allergies. The drugs made me extremely tired all the time. :bitching:
While some may have been on PEDs I was on PDDs - Performance Decreasing Drugs.

knelson
November 30th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Kirk, thanks for the mention on my 1500 m free that I just swam. I think that 8 seconds is still a big chunk of time.

8 seconds is nothing. Just a little more than 1/2 a second per hundred. Heck, break it down by 25 and it's only 0.13 seconds per 25! :)

CreamPuff
November 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
8 seconds is nothing. Just a little more than 1/2 a second per hundred. Heck, break it down by 25 and it's only 0.13 seconds per 25! :)

Thanks Kirk! Great way to look at it. I think that could be made up by just tapering. . .

Chris Stevenson
November 30th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks Kirk! Great way to look at it. I think that could be made up by just tapering. . .

Kristina, you can EASILY drop 8 seconds in a mile by tapering. Last SCY season I dropped almost that much in a 200 (fly).

geochuck
November 30th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Made the Olympic swim team for Canada. Club swimmer Hamilton Aquatic Club. No high school swim teams they did not have them but we had a high school waterpolo league and I played waterpolo. No scholarshps for University so did not swim for a University. Our club swam against US universities in dual meets.

rtodd
November 30th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Kristina,

Take up the challenge and do it. You are too good to pass it by.

CreamPuff
November 30th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I would love to drop 8 seconds on my 200 fly Chris! Way to go. Really glad to hear that it can be done!

I know, I need to man up one of these days. Am working on it! Need to stop being :afraid::afraid:

jim thornton
November 30th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Puff! Did you swim the mile in a B70 or a LSR? What kind of pool was it? From what I've heard, the B70 alone should make a huge drop in your time.

Better get one before your opponents do!

If you did use such a suit in your recent mile, did you find it helped your performance a lot? I would love to try one of these bad boys out someday. Maybe I will let my beard grow out to that grizzled look so popular in soup kitchens back in the 30s, then sidle up to some rich guy and say, "Hey, buddy! Yeah you's whose I'm talking to. Say, I'm a little down on my luck. Brother, can you spare a B70?"

Blackbeard's Peg
December 1st, 2008, 07:27 AM
the B70 alone should make a huge drop in your time.

its comments like this that make me believe even more that there is something illegal about this suit. :dedhorse:

CreamPuff
December 1st, 2008, 07:53 AM
Here's an interesting piece of info Peg which may or may not make you feel better about the B70.

This past LCM season, my #1 400 FR LCM swim was done in an old FSII (and I mean this suit was on its last legs). That time was 2 seconds faster than when I swam the same event in a B70. Just a little trivia.

The B70 gives your stroke a different feel IMO. Ideally one should train in the darn thing but there's no way I'm doing that due to my surely getting taunted by the kids. Plus, it's too uncomfortable for long periods of time.

dolfinbabe
December 2nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Started sport as a skier aged 17, became an international, then went into triathlon, won national age group champs x 2 with my first time learning to swim frontcrawl - became my strongest discipline but never did much training, just a mile x 3 a week. Won a few senior international triathlons, then as I was based in France turned to cycle racing. I became an international in 2 years and then after another 5 turned a professional cyclist and toured all over the world in various teams including rep. GBR. Got very close to Olympic selections, but didn't get the place. I also did cross-country skiing and won 2 national titles in between the cycling. Retired from full time sport in 2003 - no money and was (and still am) VERY disappointed by the drug culture, hence felt I was having to compete with cheats which ruined the sport for me. Moved to Scotland to get a job, get married, and presently start a family...and now I'm swimming - this is the first time I have put my mind to swimming and presently on a 22:30 pace with 4 months swimming - but this is just training and not done a 'meet' yet! LOVE SWIMMING to bits, but only do it x 3-4 a week to keep hungry to train.

Interesting to read other's backgrounds!

toxend
December 4th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Margery Meyer
Jean Durston

Both started late in life.

michael
You see this in women 85 to 89 for example, with a total of 17 listed competitive swimmers to make Top 10 and World Records, but you don't see this in women 40 to 44 for example, with a total of 337 listed competitive swimmers, where starters early in life dominate:

http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/eventrank.php

How close one late starter's bests get to Olympic times, that's more meaningful to achievements.

Chris Stevenson
December 6th, 2008, 07:19 AM
How close one late starter's bests get to Olympic times, that's more meaningful to achievements.

I'm not quite sure what is meant by this statement, but I am more impressed by Top Ten swims of "never was" swimmers --regardless of age group -- than the WRs of the "has beens." :)

qbrain
December 9th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I swam summer league the summer before my Freshman year and asked my parents why I had never heard of the swim team before?

Started USS in the middle of my Freshman year and was shocked how many fast swimmers there were. My HS team wasn't fast, and I was dropped in Sr 2, with Sr 1 kids usually having at least one Jr.'s cut. Man I was scared.

Swam USS for 2.5 years and HS for 3 years. Didn't swim for multiple reasons my senior year for HS or USS.

Ended up getting recruited by a Div 3 school (CMU), to swim based on my Sophomore and Jr. times. I was recruited because CMU is slow, not because I am fast, and ended up swimming for a week when the coach and I got into an argument that reminded me why I stopped swimming in the first place.

Swimming Master's is fun again. I work much harder on all the things I didn't want to work hard on as a kid, because it is for me now.

So, 2.5 USS as a kid. No cuts worth mentioning, no college swimming. No top 10 times in Master's yet either :)

The Fortress
December 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM
But you don't see this in women 40-44 for example ... How close one late starter's bests get to Olympic times, that's more meaningful to achievements.

I'm definitely a "never was" with virtually no collegiate or national experience. Still, I'm doing OK in the 40-44 and 45-49 age groups despite this alleged severe handicap.

Let's not discourage people please!!

some_girl
December 10th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I'm definitely a "never was" with virtually no collegiate or national experience. Still, I'm doing OK in the 40-44 and 45-49 age groups despite this alleged severe handicap.

Let's not discourage people please!!

Honestly, Fort, I think setting yourself as a "never was" is rather more discouraging. You have a pretty solid background and to discount that and imply that people without it could be doing it too...

I don't mean it in a "poor me"/Ionic way but there is a vaster gap between none and some USS than between I swam only one year at college and I swam all four.

The Fortress
December 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Honestly, Fort, I think setting yourself as a "never was" is rather more discouraging. You have a pretty solid background and to discount that and imply that people without it could be doing it too...

I don't mean it in a "poor me"/Ionic way but there is a vaster gap between none and some USS than between I swam only one year at college and I swam all four.

Could be, but some age group swimming is hardly the equivalent of having "Olympic times" or other credentials. That comment just irked me. Those who have no swimming history whatsoever, like you or rtodd or poolraat, are definitely to be commended.

some_girl
December 10th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Could be, but some age group swimming is hardly the equivalent of having "Olympic times" or other credentials. That comment just irked me. Those who have no swimming history whatsoever, like you or rtodd or poolraat, are definitely to be commended.

Fair enough. Continue, my momofinned friend.

Chris Stevenson
December 10th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Continue, my monofinned friend.

Chuckle...

I think swimming is a pretty unnatural thing for humans, in most ways. Think about it: if you have a footrace between a typical "man/woman off the street" and an 8-year-old who runs track, usually the adult will win (not always of course).

But a typical adult will usually lose, probably pretty badly, to an 8-year-old year-round swimmer in a 25 yard race. Heck, I can remember going 15.5 in the 25 fly as an 8-yo (still the pinnacle of my swimming career in my opinion).

So I think there is a huge advantage to having swum competitively as a child. To repeat myself, I greatly admire the achievements of masters swimmers (and triathletes) who picked up the sport as an adult.:applaud: It is a difficult and impressive thing to do.

srcoyote
December 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Swam club starting in 8th grade, and swam in high school qualifying for state meets in Florida. Recruited by Division II schools, but opted out of swimming altogether when I attended Stanford where I would have been too slow to swim in the same practice.

Did take up water polo then recreationally and then played on Oxford water polo club which sounds much more impressive than it was. Left swimming until a brief return at 30 and then left again until returning a couple of years ago at age 36.

Count me as one of the admirers of those who didn't swim until adulthood. I know that by waiting until age 13 to join a club, I had to set ego aside and swim with the little kids for a year. It took some determination. I chose to swim in my youth due to my utter luck of coordination and athleticism on dry land.

some_girl
December 10th, 2008, 02:52 PM
To repeat myself, I greatly admire the achievements of masters swimmers (and triathletes) who picked up the sport as an adult.:applaud: It is a difficult and impressive thing to do.

Well, on the up side, you don't spend much time worrying about how you'll never be as fast as you were when you were 14.

(PS: I was sorry I did not get a chance to introduce myself at the meet. I had the girl muppet point you out then promptly forgot.)