PDA

View Full Version : Holiday swimming

knelson
November 24th, 2008, 11:34 AM
So who has big swimming or non-swimming plans over the long Thanksgiving weekend? My team is off both Thursday and Friday, but I found another team (Green Lake Aqua Ducks) that is having practices Thursday, Friday and Saturday mornings. Cool!

I've heard stories of teams having special Thanksgiving workouts, so I'm interested in hearing what some of you are planning.

Glider
November 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I swim on my own and can't find anywhere in Atlanta on Thursday. I'm fighting the battle of the bulge and was hoping to find a place to swim for preventative poundage purposes so I could do my usual T-day pigout.

Maybe my ATL friends know of a place...If not I'll be napping in my recliner:bed:

So who has big swimming or non-swimming plans over the long Thanksgiving weekend? My team is off both Thursday and Friday, but I found another team (Green Lake Aqua Ducks) that is having practices Thursday, Friday and Saturday mornings. Cool!

I've heard stories of teams having special Thanksgiving workouts, so I'm interested in hearing what some of you are planning.

Mary1912
November 24th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I plan on hitting the pool this week and on Friday. I like to take advantage of the fact that I don't have to work and the attendance will be low. :)

swimshark
November 24th, 2008, 04:22 PM
My age group team has practice 8-10am on Friday and 7-9am on Sat. Which means minimum 6000 yds each day. I figure that is enough to take Thus off. Friday night we are hosting an in-team meet for the kids (8-12 year olds) that don't usually compete. I'm working the meet. I can't wait to cheer on those kids.

aztimm
November 24th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Our team's ASU/Tempe workouts are cancelled on Thurs-Friday. However, I noticed in the email that there is workout in Scottsdale on Friday, only bad thing is it starts at 5:30 AM, which means getting up by 4:30 AM to be there.

I am working on Friday, but was thinking of just working from home. We'll see how things look when I leave Wed, and how I feel Thurs night. I could use an extra workout after eating a huge meal, and leaving for vacation next week.

pwb
November 24th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Our team's ASU/Tempe workouts are cancelled on Thurs-Friday. However, I noticed in the email that there is workout in Scottsdale on Friday, only bad thing is it starts at 5:30 AM, which means getting up by 4:30 AM to be there.

I saw Mark Rankin this weekend and he said the Brophy Master's are doing a mid-day Friday workout at Brophy starting at 11:30am. Much more sane hour.

ericl
November 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Well, this may be as good a place to ask as any...

Does anybody have any info for lap-swimming on the Maryland Eastern shore? I will be there over xmas-new years. The USMS links lead to dead-ends.

Thanks

tjrpatt
November 24th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I will have Villanova practice on Thursday morning which is very cool on their part and probably swim on my own Friday at my Y.

ViveBene
November 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Nope. Pool closed for repairs. Went to neighboring health club and its pool is closed for repairs. Park District pools are next, or Northeastern.

Or I could go in the lake, briefly. :D

tjrpatt
November 24th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Well, this may be as good a place to ask as any...

Does anybody have any info for lap-swimming on the Maryland Eastern shore? I will be there over xmas-new years. The USMS links lead to dead-ends.

Thanks

http://www.swimmersguide.com/

Try this site. If you are near Salisbury, I am pretty sure that they have a Y. Also, google Lower Shore Family YMCA. It is Pocomoke City, MD.

Lump
November 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I swim on my own and can't find anywhere in Atlanta on Thursday. I'm fighting the battle of the bulge and was hoping to find a place to swim for preventative poundage purposes so I could do my usual T-day pigout.

Maybe my ATL friends know of a place...If not I'll be napping in my recliner:bed:

I swim MWF (and the occasional Sat)so the holiday doesn't really mess me up. I know Mt. View in Cobb where I swim is open normal hours I believe on Friday....just about everyone I know of is closed on Turkey Day. Just treat that day like your Sunday if you are that worried about missing a day....I know I'm not!:D

Doug Adamavich
November 25th, 2008, 12:40 PM
My plan is to go camping on Thursday and Friday, provided we don't get stormed on. Then on Saturday it will be feeding time with the family!

Did my dry land training this morning, will swim on Wednesday and not come back until the following week. Will take a few months off starting in January and concentrate on mountain biking instead. The trails around town have not been nourished by my flesh and blood for a while so time to feed them...

WPSWIMS
November 25th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Lump.
Run the Gobble Jog in the Marietta Square! I usually do it when I am in town.
They have a 10 K and 5 K. Nice long sleeve Tshirt. Sorry I have to miss it, but I am doing the Turkey Trot in Denver instead and hoping to make it to the Denver U Pool before they close at 1PM on THurs.

SLOmmafan
November 25th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Ah, dedicated swimmers! The is about a 10% chance I will be back in the pool by Sunday after Thanksgiving, but the reality is most likely Monday morning I will be suffering the consequences for my holiday splurges.

I suppose I could make a breif exit from my aquatic realm and try a few laps on the good ole track to try and keep the cardio up (and burn some unwanted calories from the feast before!!)

jim clemmons
November 25th, 2008, 06:27 PM
We have water 363 days a year :banana: unless we experience some kind of mechanical failure. :afraid:

We're closed for Christmas and graduation - graduation only because of a parking shortage.

Lump
November 25th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Lump.
Run the Gobble Jog in the Marietta Square! I usually do it when I am in town.
They have a 10 K and 5 K. Nice long sleeve Tshirt. Sorry I have to miss it, but I am doing the Turkey Trot in Denver instead and hoping to make it to the Denver U Pool before they close at 1PM on THurs.

Thanks, but I'm not a runner anymore. Bad back, one funny step and I'll be down for a month or more. Sounds fun though......in my earlier years!

CreamPuff
November 26th, 2008, 10:32 AM
SWAT (Swim Atlanta) has practice for National and anyone else who wants to join in from 8 AM to 9:30 AM at on Turkey Day @ the Sugarloaf location!

Kurt Dickson
November 26th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Sprint triathlon 7:30 am in Goodyear, Arizona for the truly desperate that like to spend 65 dollars on a pool triathlon with a tradition of really crappy t-shirts.:bliss:

Michelina
November 26th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I will have Villanova practice on Thursday morning which is very cool on their part and probably swim on my own Friday at my Y.

See you Thursday morning! :banana: