PDA

View Full Version : Memo to Paul Smith: World Masters Balloting

Jason Marsteller
November 24th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Since I know Paul's going to have fun commenting on the World Masters of the Year this year like he always does, I decided to get the process going early! *grin*

I'm working on the ballot, and it's pretty crazy. Last year's total WRs considered were 202. This year, 303. Last year's ballot of swimmers who accounted for 2 LCM or 3+ LCM/SCM WRs to make the final cut were 12 men and 17 women. This year, 31 men and 14 women.

Our panelists are going to have a headache when they get their ballots. Still working on getting the panel put together. I'd prefer to get it a bit more international, but am having a tough time finding more Masters experts from different countries. Probably not the best place to be asking here on a US Masters board.

Just waiting to see what Paul has to say! *grin* Susan von der Lippe made the ballot with five SCM WRs over the last competitive year (not annual) according to the Nov. 1 release of FINA Masters WRs.

aquageek
November 24th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that as long as he's on the ballot he won't complain much. If not, watch out!

ehoch
November 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM
This does not seem so difficult - although I do remember some strange choices the last time around.

Here are some guidelines that are sure to start a controversy:

- Look for the best swimmers and swims in their age group --- That means anybody under 30 should never be picked (and the 30-34 are very questionable as well). There was backstroker - age 31 or 32 - who went to the Olympics and then went to local Masters meet and destroyed the 100 bk record - good swim, but he is not the fastest swimmer in his age group.

- Check on how competitive the swims are compared to the current world record (the Phelps and company records) - why ? You should be able to compare the quality of a record in the same age group. If the 54 year backstoker is 20% above the world record - but the Flyer is within 10% of the current wolrd record - I think the Flyer should be considered a better swimmer.

- Reward the "amazing swims" -- anybody who comes close or improves the "younger age group" record should get special recognition - we can also name this the Rich Abrahams guideline - his LC 50 Free in the 60-64 age group is faster than the 55-59 record -- that should count for 10 WRs

mattson
November 25th, 2008, 10:47 AM
- Look for the best swimmers and swims in their age group --- That means anybody under 30 should never be picked (and the 30-34 are very questionable as well). There was backstroker - age 31 or 32 - who went to the Olympics and then went to local Masters meet and destroyed the 100 bk record - good swim, but he is not the fastest swimmer in his age group.

So much for the women's 40-44 age bracket...