PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue

swim25
November 24th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I'm just complaining and wondering if anyone else feels the same as I do. After practice in the mornings I don't feel energized the rest of the day, I feel extremely exhausted and and want to do nothing the rest of the day. Does anyone else feel like this. I'm 26 years old and have been swimming for 2 years, so I feel like I'm in shape. I do swim in the evenings on the same days as well and I don't feel as tired after that practice. This problem was happening to me before I did doubles, it's the same feeling of fatigue. I love swimming and don't feel right if I miss a practice but everyone tells me they feel good afterwards, I just want to take naps all day long. Just wondering if anyone else feels this way.

aztimm
November 24th, 2008, 05:21 PM
How long have you been swimming in the morning? When I first switched to morning workouts, I felt that way for about a week (not just tired but extremely hungry too). Of course I have my days, but generally I do feel pretty energized after a morning workout.

swim25
November 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM
2 years. I have coffee and a big breakfast after wards.

aquageek
November 24th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I just want to take naps all day long. Just wondering if anyone else feels this way.

It's called adulthood, symptoms worsen over time and made infinitely worse by children. No known cure or remedy.

swim4me
November 24th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Are you a morning person? If not you may want to switch to an evening workout. I am a morning person and my swim reves up my day! When I swim in the evening, all I can think about is sleeping!:bed:

swimshark
November 25th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Try eating or drinking some protein after your workout. It might help energize your muscles and wake you up. A good source is a glass of chocolate milk.

I feel like you do some days, too. On the really bad days, I take some Vitamin B6. It's an energy booster. Try some of that, too.

ViveBene
November 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM
It took me a while to be able to do any kind of swimming before noon. A real workout still makes me tired for hours, though I slowly became more adapted and better able to work through the day. Nutrition before and after is important. 2-hour OW swims at 6 a.m. made me blotto.

:yawn:

I'm just complaining and wondering if anyone else feels the same as I do. After practice in the mornings I don't feel energized the rest of the day, I feel extremely exhausted and and want to do nothing the rest of the day. Does anyone else feel like this. I'm 26 years old and have been swimming for 2 years, so I feel like I'm in shape. I do swim in the evenings on the same days as well and I don't feel as tired after that practice. This problem was happening to me before I did doubles, it's the same feeling of fatigue. I love swimming and don't feel right if I miss a practice but everyone tells me they feel good afterwards, I just want to take naps all day long. Just wondering if anyone else feels this way.

elise526
November 25th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I despise swimming in the morning and will not do it unless I can take a long nap afterwards. It has been like this since I was a teen. Can't tell you how many times I got yelled at as a kid for being so slow in morning practice.

I do not feel energized no matter what distance I swim in the morning. On the other hand, I swam 6,000 yards between 5:45 and 7:45 tonight and feel like I could go out dancing for the next three hours. :bouncing:

Everybody has a time where they are at their best. You may just be more of a night owl.

dorothyrde
November 26th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I am thinking you might need a little break. If you are tired ALL the time that is not right. Try taking a week off from exercise, and just do easy stretching and see if you feel more energized. If that does not work, go to the doctor. A person is not suppose to feel this way, especially at your age.

geochuck
November 26th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Morning workouts never a favourite for me. I used to go at 5:30 then to work for 7am. You have to eat breakfast and mornings were hard but if you do the right kind of workouts you will not feel tired. Mornings for me were always technique oriented with lots of pyramid swimming. No really hard stuff, a few sprints of 25s, 50s, and 75s. Good wmups of 5 min and cool down swims after of 5 mins.

Doug Adamavich
November 26th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Here are some of my suggestions on the topic of fatigue:

Eat a little something before you start like Gu or a Powerbar (tm). Those will give your body a little something to feed off of.
Drink Accelerade or some other drink with carbs and protein during your workout. That will help you feel better afterwards.
Eat within an hour of your workout, closer to 30 minutes is better.
Go to bed a little earlier and make sure you get some protein in you before you hit the rack. I normally drink soy milk or almond milk before bed, protein shakes work well too but are pricey.
Drink lots of water throughout the day.
Eat 5-8 small meals throughout the day. Spread out your protein intake and eat small meals. That will help keep your energy level up.
Green tea is your friend, drink the real stuff and not the de-caff crap.

A couple other modalities that have helped me include:

Far Infrared sauna, it gets a lot of toxins out of your system.
O2 Steam Bath. This helps get rid of toxins and aids in recovery. Do this *after* a workout, not before.
Colonics. This literally gets impacted crap out of your large intesting. You will loose weight and feel much better afterwards.
Herbal body wraps also help get rid of toxins and help you relax. You will sleep well afterwards and feel great in the morning.

These are things I do. Years ago I was getting fatigued so I tried a number of different things to address it. Stay away from antibiotics as much as possible, eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, drink tons of water, and find detoxifying modalities that work for you.

NOTE: I am a very skeptical person who is not into wooo-wooo and other non-scientific crap. This has been my experience and these things have worked for me. See what works for you and don't be afraid to investigate modalities and behaviors on your own. In the process, you will learn a lot and become healthier. BTW, nobody paid me to say these things...darn.

Good luck!